Portis Conflicted on Pacman Suspension

Portis and Pacman, on the field together. (TWP file photo by Jonathan Newton)

Clinton Portis's weekly appearance on ESPN 980's John Thompson Show yielded plenty of interesting nuggets about Shaun Alexander's imminent arrival, Portis's offseason change-of-mindset and his comments about focus from last Sunday (taken out of context, apparently). But he saved his most quotable moment for the last question, about Pacman Jones's suspension.

Portis hadn't heard about the suspension before Thompson asked him about it. And as he did, rather unfortunately, two years ago, Portis at least partially sympathized with the player.

"I really think that situation man probably was blown out of proportion, I really do," Portis said of the Pacman fight. "And I think it might have just been somebody watching and seen the altercation and it wasn't nothing that couldn't be handled amongst men, you know? Bodyguard or no bodyguard, if you're around somebody constantly, tempers gonna flare. As men you exchange words.

"Me and Brian [Mitchell] exchanged words...the same way our conversation all of the sudden flared up everywhere, and it was like me and him had a karate match and we were face-to-face and I pushed him. You know, it's gonna come out to the outside world as something different than what really happened.

"And I think with Pacman, to come back, to really have this opportunity was a golden opportunity for him, and all of the sudden it's been taken away by the outside world. And now you're under such a tight microscope that you can't fall, or you can't have a disagreement with a grown man. You know, I could see if it was pistol play or if he strangled him or choked him out while he was driving, but you know, if it's man-to-man and we bump chests and push each other, you know, I don't think that's an altercation worth taking football away from him. But, you know, wrong place wrong time is all I can say."

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 14, 2008; 4:55 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caron Thinks Hasselhoff is German
Next: Morning Look: Skins Are Bamas

Comments

Hey Clinton, it doesn't matter if it was blown out of proportion. It only matters that it had any proportion at all above 0.0. Pretty sure a fight in a public place, with a team employee, whilst drunk, falls under that zero tolerance umbrella. Now Gooddell is gonna make it rain on you, Pacman!

Posted by: Ben | October 14, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

"And now you're under such a tight microscope that you can't fall, or you can't have a disagreement with a grown man."

Um, maybe I just live in a different world, but the last time I got into a disagreement that resulted in people calling the police was, well ..., never.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 14, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

"choked him out while he was driving"

Is this a common type of altercation in Clinton's world? Maybe he watches The Simpsons too much.

Posted by: Danny's Platform Shoes | October 14, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I think he said that would be a crazy fight, pistol play and chocking while driving, over the line. bump chests, not.

Posted by: Alex35332 | October 14, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

What in the world is 'pistol play'?

Posted by: Matt | October 14, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I try not to fire my pistol around "grown men."

Posted by: icantfeelmyface | October 14, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Portis in that this was blown out of proportion. No one is perfect and to expect a person who has already proven to be far less than perfect to now be held to such a standard is proposterous. Pacman had no chance to succeed if the league is going to suspend him for a fight with an employee of the team. Now he may have violated his probation, and there should be a punishment for that if in fact he did, but the thought that he is to be perfect is ridiculous because NO ONE is perfect. If the NFL was truly trying to rehabilitate Pacman for his own good telling him to be perfect or else probably isn't the way to do it.

Posted by: ghettocnn | October 14, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Let's be real...this fight between Pacman and bodyguard was probably over one of them not having their pockets straight or over a gold-diggin' bird who is looking to make someone's pockets less straight.

In any case, let's get some PatrĂ³n in CP and B-Mitch and see how their word exchange goes.

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | October 14, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

"Wrong place wrong time" is so laaaaame.

The wrong time to get in any kind of trouble at all would be when you're on a zero tolerance under-the-microscope watch with your career at stake.

And place doesn't seem to matter to this Pacman Jones... he's like the circus, he brings the fun with him wherever he goes.

What a chooch...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | October 14, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Ummm...it doesn't matter if it was blown out of proportion! He was on a much-deserved zero tolerance policy. In my world, zero means zero.

Clinton, please...just shut up and play.

Posted by: Jenna | October 14, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

CP is always going to stick up for another player. I'm ok with that as long as he continues to do whatever is asked of him to help the team win. He's going to occasionally say things that make you roll your eyes. I disagree with him in this case, but I understand where he's coming from. Besides, he was answering a direct question and giving his honest opinion. Keep doing what you do, CP.

Posted by: Curt | October 14, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Shut your pie-hole Clinton! Just run the football.

Posted by: caphcky | October 14, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

YA'LL CAN SAY WHAT YOU WANT ABOUT CP BUT HE HAS AN OPINION. MAY BE YA'LL OUGHT KEEP YOUR OWN OPINION TO YOURSELF. MAY BE IT'S LIKE THAT WHERE YOU COME BUT EVERY SITUATION HAS TO BE LOOKED DIFFERENTLY

Posted by: BAD NEWS | October 15, 2008 2:47 AM | Report abuse

most of the people who commented here are haters.

While its pretty obvious that PacMan is dumb as a fence post and yes he seems to gravitate to trouble like a fat kid to cake it doesn't necessarily mean that the suspension was warranted.

I wonder why someone hasn't signed him for a reality show. At least that way he could be watched 24/7 and maybe coached along the way. Make it a self improvement show. When he starts to get into trouble have a mediator step out and say "Maybe spitting in that woman's face isn't the best thing to do" or "Hey PacMan how bout we stop drinking like a lush"

Clinton can say whatever he wants. He's a grown man and the last time I checked he's never been involved in anything remotely stupid as PacMan's antics.

@idiots who don't know what Pistol Play is

really? I understand your trying to be humourous and you gravitated to that quote but you know damn well thats what happens when a gun is brought into an altercation.

to summarize, PacMan is an idiot. Clinton Portis can say what he wants, he's a man. Most of the previous comments are drenched in hate.

Posted by: Lee | October 15, 2008 6:39 AM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone here hates Clinton. Don't drench me in hate!

Posted by: Ben | October 15, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Maybe we should have CP call Tommy Urbanski and ask him about the Pacman. Urbanski is the strip club manager who was shot during a February 2007 brawl Las Vegas police said was started by Pacman. Urbanski, a former professional wrestler from Commack, L.I., has been paralyzed from the waist down ever since.
We should be handing out bumper stickers that say 'Boycott the National Felon League'

Posted by: TJ | October 15, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

CP is worth every penny they are paying him to come on the show every week. What a win-win - the appearances help CP keep his pocket straight, and we get treated to radio gold. Of course, this warm and fuzzy feeling only lasts as long as CP keeps playing the way he's been playing lately!

These unfiltered nuggets are much more "inside" than the limp, blindfolded stabs at the airwaves delivered by Vinny "The Great Multi-Tasker" Cerrato twice a week.

Posted by: terrdeac | October 15, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

When are some professional players going to start acting like adults???!!!

Pacman knows he has a drinking/aggression problem. He's been told not to drink and not to get into trouble again. He did both. He should be treated like any kid who did what he was told not to do. He was told he'll be punished and now he should be. Done deal. There's no need for discussion by us, the league or the Cowboys.

They've all done what they can to keep an irresponsible child-man from destroying his career and future, and the child-man decided the sacrifices he'd have to make weren't worth it to him. No problem...find another career or continue getting in trouble and go to jail.

Posted by: Beaker | October 15, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I just love how the morality police on here tries to control everyone's behavior.I notice the double standard in how people respond to NFL players. That jack*** Tony Stewart can punch anyone in the face and I don't hear anyone telling NASCAR to suspend him or keep him under control. Why do the NFL players have to live up to a higher standard than any other sport?

Posted by: Terry | October 16, 2008 1:51 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand why Clinton is sticking up for a Cowboy!

Posted by: nh | October 16, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Terry | October 16, 2008 1:51 AM

I think the reason is because I had to say to myself, "Who's Tony Stewart?"

Posted by: Beaker | October 16, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse