Portis's Post Game Style

Two quick post-game notes, before we tackle the main attraction.

1) Hip Hip Hooray? Dead as the Lions playoff dreams.

"We didn't do it today," Chris Samuels told me. "It was 'Win on Three!' "

Seriously? The Hip Hip Hoorayride gets derailed at the season's midway point by "Win on Three!" Trust me, SportsCenter isn't coming through that door to do a "Win on Three!" feature. At least some fans had the HHH spirit.

2) Media breakdown. We win. The Detroit Free-Press sent four writers and three photographers to a home game.The Washington Post, on the other hand, sent eight writers, plus two photographers, to a mid-season away game in Detroit. Will any other newspaper in the country send eight writers to an NFL road game this season?

Now, as for Clinton Portis. It's been a while since he didn't go to the post-game podium to speak formally to the media. But the fact that he was going to speak in front of his locker didn't cause him to scale back his planned outfit. Red, was the theme. I'll let the more fashion conscious Sally Jenkins take it from there.

Afterward Portis stood before his locker clad in so many rich textiles he seemed upholstered, from his red cashmere V-neck to his gleaming red square-toed, soft crocodile shoes. He was the image of surfeit, after his fifth straight game with over 120 yards (126 on 24 carries), and he kicked up an exquisite loafer to show it off.

Oh, one more thing. He wouldn't start his interview until he popped on the red Marc Jacobs shades. Oh, and until he applied his red chapstick.

"Cherry chaptick, you can't do no better," he said. "Cherry or strawberry. Keep your lips pink."

He said repeatedly that the shoes were not gator, but I'm not sure whether he actually confirmed the crocodileness.

"You want to feel these, man? Feel them," he said, handing a shoe to one of the reporters. "Check them out. Feels fabulous, don't it? Bend it. Bend it. See how soft it is. See what I'm saying? You can't do gators like that. I can't tell y'all my secret, everybody gonna be trying to do this."

And the socks? I don't even know where to start with the socks. Wizard of Oz? Where's Waldo? NFL MVP? Whatever.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 27, 2008; 11:22 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Look: Got Suishams?
Next: Skins Fans Take Over Detroit

Comments

Posted by: Freddr055 | October 27, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

God I love our team so much.

Posted by: RyanKelly | October 27, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

If he's gonna run for 125 yards every game, Clinton can wear a dress and heels for all i care.

Posted by: echu | October 27, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

The shoes are probably turtles, I had a pair of turtle ankle high boots back in the day. They are very comfortable and most people think they are gators. Anyway as long as Portis is happy and his "pockets are straight" I know Skins Nation will be happy.

Posted by: JBParker1 | October 27, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Now I KNOW he didn't score them joints from the Wheaton Redskins store.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | October 27, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Eight reporters to an away Redskins game? How many cover home games? I think the Post has fewer reporters covering the presidential campaign. Do each of you get assigned a position? "OK, Wise covers running backs, Steinberg's got receivers and Jenkins--check out the D-Line"?

Posted by: TheFingerman | October 27, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

It was eight because Yanda was on assignment near Detroit. Otherwise, it would have been seven....and what's more important: the Redskins or the election?

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 27, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

last!
stop jockin' my topics.

Posted by: getyourown | October 27, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

last!
steinberg, stop jockin' my topics.

Posted by: getyourown | October 27, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

"Will any other newspaper in the country send eight writers to an NFL road game this season?"

Should any newspaper in the country send eight writers to an NFL road game this season?

I'm surprised the paper even let Tarik go on the west coast trip for the Caps.

Posted by: metatext | October 27, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse