LaVar Clarifies: Gibbs "Coward-Like"

After all the furor over his calling Joe Gibbs "a coward" last week, LaVar Arrington was on Fox Sports's Best Damn Sports Show on Friday to talk about that and other issues. His Gibbs comments--in which he amended his original statement to "coward-like" and explained that Gregg Williams's departure undermined the whole "stability" mantra of Gibbs II--are below. Say what you will about LaVar--and many of you have in recent days--the man speaks his mind, and does it well.

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 15, 2008; 8:43 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's Top 5: Leonsis Won't Take the Abuse, Again
Next: Skins Fans Fight Back

Comments

wow, LaVar is such a man.

Posted by: trolly_time | November 15, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

P.S. Why haven't we had any links from the Post on Portis' defense of Gibbs and his response to LaVar?

see:http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/11/13/after-lavar-arrington-calls-out-joe-gibbs-clinton-portis-sticks/

Posted by: trolly_time | November 15, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

oops. we did. sorry dan. annnnnd they cited you....ugh, that's what i get for reading redskins related news on a sports bog at 9pm on a saturday night.... (dang it)

Posted by: trolly_time | November 15, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

damm lavar!

why couldn't you simply take the high road on this.

those guys took you to a place that you obviously wanted to go

your in the media now....

good luck.

Posted by: rhowze | November 16, 2008 3:36 AM | Report abuse

I think Lavar was authentic in his interview, and told the true as he saw it. I happen to agree with most of what he said. Snyder's leadership style exemplifies the eat-people-s**t-money mentality of corporate America back then, and still today. I also saw truth in his Joe Gibbs comments - I wouldn't call him a coward - but his heart didn't seem to be in it - nascar clearly is where is heart is. As I like to refer to him, 'Lavar Arrogant’ was a great linebacker whose heart was in it for the skins. I, for one, loved him - and it pained me to see him treated in the way he was. I am glad he has found happiness in being a family man and entrepreneur, and wish the best for him and his family.

Posted by: quietwar | November 16, 2008 7:28 AM | Report abuse

What I find odd, is that Lavar seemed to take issue with the fact that Williams and Gibbs and the regime implied he was freelancing and not doing what he was supposed to, so they got rid of him.

And, honestly, Marvin Lewis said the same thing before that. So, it was ALWAYS an issue, but I am supposed to believes Gibbs made it up to wrong Lavar?
Sorry Mr. Arrington, but I think thou doth protest too much.

Posted by: kreator6996 | November 16, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Whats the only difference between Lavar Arrington and Ryan Leaf? One played offense and one played defense. Lavar is another Penn State bust. He is a loud mouth loser and I can't believe we (myself included) are wasting one second on an overrated second tier below average former player that is as irrelevant as a beta max. Get lost loud mouth, know one gives a rats behind about you, your stupid restaurant, your anything else you are involved in. Beat it! Last I checked, Gibbs has championships, Lavar has no job in pro sports...conversation over.

Posted by: Goodstones | November 16, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Is it me or did Lavar Arrington just say to guests: "I dont want your business coming to my restaurant." (?!)

Posted by: busdriver420 | November 16, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Lavar Arrington - the most overrated, overpaid, redskin player, ever --- lavar, just shut up and go away --- i'm so glad you're no longer a redskin, but then, you never really were.

Posted by: bestmick1 | November 16, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

LaVar just shut up. You would never follow the game plan that was given to you. Do you people know how many times LaVar blew his assignment to try to be a hero. He had the Linebacker's coach going crazy. It would be like 10 men on defense playing together and Lavar on his own. That is why he never became a star. That is why Gibb/Williams got rid of him. Have you all forgot his greediness. He went after the Skins because they suposedly cheated him out of 6 million. It was his agent who screwed up. Then he attacked Snyder.

LaVar you were a waste. You never lived up to your potential. STOP BLAMING GIBBS. IT WAS YOU, YOU IDIOT!!!!!!

Posted by: eddie5 | November 16, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Why do a lot of athletes still think folks owe them? Lavar was paid handsomely and was loved by a whole lot of fans…. and the pay back he gives the DC fans is to bad mouth the coach who not only won 3 superbowls but came back to bring respectability back to an organization that was quickly turning to the Bidwell Cardinals...

Lavar, Joe Gibbs was not your problem... You are your own problem! If Gibbs was your problem, you would have still been with the Giants...

To play in the National Football League is privilege... Not a Right! Better Athletes did not get the opportunity that was given to you.

Move on bro... the bitter pill does not serve any purpose whatsoever... And when it comes to Joe Gibbs, you will lose 100 times out of 100 times.

Lavar, dispute the FACT that you were one of the better paid NFL players in ALL positions. Not just as a linebacker. By-the-way, how is that agent of yours panning out? I guess he personally reads ALL versions of the contracts his clients sign? If I were you, I would sue your agent or have him disbarred. Yeah, that was Joe Gibbs fault too? Of the 100s of contracts the Redskins have done it is yours that they wanted to cheat?

PS. I bet the Skins were somehow in arranging for you to have a motocycle accident too?

Lavar, you are responsible for YOUR actions. You don't need to look too far to look for someone to blame.

Posted by: samiismoni14 | November 16, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Lavar just needs to get away from football. His agent was at fault for loosing his 6 million dollars and he blamed the Redskins. He was always injured and when he was on the field he never followed the game plan set forth so I don't want to hear about the many different Def coached he had to go through, this is not offense people it's pretty simple either you cover, blitz or fill a gap it seems to me he could only really do one of those well!
He needs to stop blaming everyone else and start looking in the mirror but most of all he really needs to just go away.

Posted by: dalzl81 | November 16, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

"the most overrated, overpaid, redskin player, ever"

Actually, that would probably be a tie between Mark Rypien (who is genuinely great human being) and Joe Theisman (who is probably the most overrated Redskins of all time).

Now, there is a more recent defense player on the redskins that changed from the dirtiest player ever to the most saintly, greatest defense player to ever play the game, but that was after he left the team.

People want to believe *so bad* though that guys who play football are heroes.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | November 16, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse