Local Poll Week II: Welcome VMI
If you, like me, consider the primary purpose of the Atlantic 11 poll to occasionally mock our area's larger basketball programs and promote our area's smaller basketball programs, this week's results were a mixed bag.
On the one hand, VMI rode its Kentucky upset, and the tears of Ashley Judd, to a No. 8 ranking, a true victory for humanity. On the other hand, four BCS-conference schools are eligible for these rankings, and they've all set up residence in the Top 5. Highly disconcerting. Other notes:
* Aside from VMI, the week's big movers were Maryland (up from fourth to second) and Virginia (up from eighth to fourth on the strength of narrow home victories over marginal programs).
* Mount St. Mary's dropped out to make room for VMI.
* We'll have our first ranked showdown tomorrow night, when No. 10 George Washington battles No. 11 UMBC. Who's going? Hard to think of a better way to spend the night before Thanksgiving.
* After George Mason faced two teams with Pirate nicknames, it's amazing how many of you immediately thought of Somalia.
* Georgetown increased its share of first-place votes, getting the nod from 88 of 93 voters. Three chose Virginia, one chose Maryland, and one chose American, possibly as an homage to Ed Tapscott.
* Thanks, as always, to voter Ian for the swell work on the image, above. The original photo was by The Post's Toni Sandys. Ian's available to work weddings and Bar Mitzvahs.
Results and pith after the jump.
1. Georgetown (2-0) 924 (88)
--Thursday vs. Wichita State
--Hoyas getting set to shamelessly duck Maryland by actually winning their first-round game in the Old Spice Classic. (John Hawkes)
2. Maryland (3-0) 726 (1)
--Thursday vs. Michigan State
--If Gary Williams doesn't leave the Old Spice Classic with an endorsement deal, he needs to fire his agent. (John Regan)
3. VCU (2-1) 552
--Tonight at East Carolina
--There was so much Ram excitement in the Rhode Island Rams' victory over the VCU Rams that Dick Vermeil instinctively started crying and Marc Bulger got a spontaneous concussion. (Markus Videnieks)
4. Virginia (3-0) 548 (3)
--Tonight vs. Liberty
I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the Virginia basketball team is still mathematically alive to make the ACC football championship. (Chris Chase)
5. Virginia Tech (3-2) 540
--Wednesday vs. Elon
--Seth Greenberg in his blog on the topic of chemistry: "Mike Singletary, interim coach for the San Francisco 49ers, put it best this weekend." Let's hope for all involved that the Hokies don't get behind at the half this season. (Jack Lambert)
6. George Mason (3-1) 430
--Tonight vs. Mount St. Mary's
--After going 1-1 in games against Pirates last week, Patriots decline invitation to play in the 2009 Somali Coast Invitational. (Scott Allen)
7. American (3-1) 374 (1)
--Tonight at Stony Brook
--Does this mean Jeff Jones will be the Wizards' head coach in 2026? (John Albers)
8. VMI (4-1) 202
--Saturday at Jacksonville State
--Beating the 2008 version of Kentucky is like hooking up with the 2008 version of Madonna, meaning in this metaphor the Keydets are a muscular, Hall of Fame-bound third baseman with frosted tips. (Jack Lambert)
9. Old Dominion (1-1) 146
--Tonight at Bucknell
--Gerald Lee got teased a lot by the Finnish kids he went to school with for having such a weird name. (Max Wass)
10. George Washington (2-1) 136
--Wednesday vs. No. 11 UMBC
--Karl Hobbs's utter inability to beat BCS teams will come back to haunt him when he finally lands that BCS job in 2022. (Matt Bonesteel)
11. UMBC (3-1) 135
--Wednesday at No. 10 George Washington
--When asked how he felt about winning the Tyler Ugolyn Columbia Classic, Retrievers Coach Randy Monroe emphatically responded, "The what?" (John Willmott)
Also receiving votes: Mount St. Mary's 100, Richmond 77, Towson 61, Navy 38, Hampton 33, Radford 26, Loyola 24, Morgan State 23, Howard 15, James Madison 13, Coppin State 11, William & Mary 6, Longwood 3.
Posted by: PBL4 | November 25, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: ChrisChase | November 25, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: mgv4232 | November 25, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: StetSportsBlog | November 25, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: fitzfacts | November 25, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: dimesmakedollars | November 25, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: forcewinder | November 25, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: dimesmakedollars | November 25, 2008 11:24 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: fitzfacts | November 26, 2008 7:22 AM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.