Mike Sellers Was a Scary High School Kid

By Toni L. Sandys - TWP.

During the bye week, Mike Sellers had his uniform retired at his high school, North Thurston, up in the Great Northwest. This gave the local paper an excuse to track down a longtime area coach, one Ed Fisher, who saw Sellers play in high school. The coach called Sellers easily the best prep player he'd ever seen--and he saw a bunch of NFL guys, including Jon Kitna and Lawyer Milloy--and said Sellers could have gone straight to starting in the NFL out of high school, that it didn't seem fair to watch him face prep kids.

That's cool, I guess. But these stories are better. Mike Sellers, apparently, was a somewhat terrifying 17-year old kid. From the coach's memory file:

On a kickoff, Sellers raced downfield and took on the wedge, slamming into Wilson. The collision sent Wilson flying backwards, knocking him out cold. Wilson's facemask was caved in to his nose.

"We had to cut the facemask off," Fisher said.

Several years later, Wilson applied for a secret service job to be a bodyguard for the president. Wilson listed Fisher as a reference, and someone called the coach.

"They asked me if I thought Chris would take a bullet for the president," Fisher said. "I said absolutely. He had already taken a bullet from Mike Sellers."

In that same game, Fisher watched Sellers blast into Fisher's son, Adam, a 135-pound quarterback. Adam dropped back to pass, and Sellers quickly closed from his linebacker position.

"I'm thinking, 'Oh my gosh, I lost a son,' " Fisher said...."Mike knocked Adam completely out of the camera's view. He knocked him into the sidelines."

Sellers, by the way, wore No. 44 in high school. Which reminds me, The Angelo Hall will apparently be No. 32 in D.C. (Nope, actually 23.) Still waiting for stories of his high school exploits.

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 10, 2008; 12:14 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins to Copy Terrible Towels
Next: Reed Doughty Just Got Paid Again

Comments

Maybe they can write Sellers in as a guardian angel-type character on "Everybody Hates Chris."

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | November 10, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Why don't the Skins give the ball Sellers on short yardage situations especially near the goal line?

It's just STUPID not to do so.

Posted by: charley42 | November 10, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Also he could throw the football a country mile and he had a pet ox named blue.

Don't get me started on that time Sellers created the Great Lakes...

Posted by: JeffV7 | November 10, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Zorn doesn't seem to be using Sellers as much as Saunders/Gibbs did. This is disappointing to me as a huge Big Mike fan, but I guess Zorn is gonna do what Zorn is gonna do.

Posted by: pipkin42 | November 10, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

It's just STUPID not to do so.

Posted by: charley42 | November 10, 2008 12:36 PM

Probably because Big Mike thinks he's 80 lbs lighter once he has the ball in his hands and thinks he can leap over the pile or juke somebody instead of just running over people. This causes him to not be able to convert the first down/touchdown. Portis is a much better short yardage back...as weird as that sounds, it's true. Strangely enough, that doesn't happen as often when he catches a pass. So, I WOULD like to see the PA pass to Sellers at the goal line added back into the playbook.

As for the fantastic high school stories, I doubt there's a player in the NFL that WASN'T the 'best player on the field' or close to it in high school. Still, those were some pretty entertaining anecdotes.

Posted by: lupin_iv | November 10, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I heard on the "vinny show" The Hall is no 23? you get your fingers mixed up there or did vinny?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 10, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

This thread makes me happy.

Posted by: Gweez | November 10, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse