Morning Look: Redskins Have a 12th Man

I can't remember if I've already posted this photo, but yesterday's news that the Redskins will be handing out a piece of cloth fabric in no way related to those completely differently toned Terrible Towels sort of reminded me that the Redskins also have a name for their fans that's in no way related to the phrase widely associated with some other franchise that, coincidentally, ended Washington's season two out of the last three years.

I mean, that version is blue. This version is burgundy. Totally, totally different.

And when players start jumping into the stands, that's called FedEx Fellowship. Nothing like those Green Bay leapers. And, to steal a punchline, it will be another mere coincidence when the franchise christens the Hawg Pound. Also, no one is stealing any ideas from Dallas when the franchise decides to sign every ex-All-Pro free agent it can find. The Redskins totally thought of that idea on their own.

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 11, 2008; 10:29 AM ET
Categories:  Morning Look , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: LaVar Cracks on Snyder, Gibbs
Next: Skins-Dallas: Seats Still Available

Comments

But who else has Popeye's as their official chicken?

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | November 11, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

EVERYONE uses the 12th Man - the Skins have been using it for years! (There's even a guy who runs on the field with a burgundy and gold 12th Man flag). Seattle just tried to steal it and make it there own.

However, the *real* 12th man lives in College Station, Texas and the Seahawks now pay him lots of money to use their trademark.

Posted by: suzannepdc | November 11, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: suzannepdc | November 11, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Yeah the Towel idea is terrible, not using it, but stealing the idea. I mean c'mon, get original.
Why not try flags, Burgundy flags, at least that way it won't directly copy the towel idea. Maybe add a gold "R", the classic one to the burgundy flag.

Posted by: joeblazin | November 11, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Worse yet, the "Rally Rag"? Really? That's the best they could come up with?

"ON THE RAG! ON THE RAG!"

Posted by: mdean3 | November 11, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Steinz, your contempt for the Redskins has really reached new heights over the past couple weeks. I realize the organization sucks, but come on brah. As the brilliant commenters before me pointed out, the 12th man is by no means specific to Seattle.

Don't forget: they serve beer, which is clearly a rip off of Mesopotamian civilization.

Posted by: ChrisMottram | November 11, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Disagree, brah, disagree. I now have been to games in maybe 8 or 10 NFL stadiums, and none of them come close to Seattle in "12" extravagence. That 12 stuff is flippin everywhere there, and they famously pay A&M for the rights. When you see signs like this at FedEx, and pre-game videos with "12" flags flying from the top of the D.C. monuments, it's hard not to think of Seattle.

And Suzanne, note that that wiki page doesn't include the Redskins as a team that has traditionally been into 12th man stuff. Not a big deal, but I just don't associate "the 12th man" with the Redskins.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | November 11, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"Not a big deal, but I just don't associate "the 12th man" with the Redskins."

I don't think most people, outside of Seattle, associate the 12th man with the Seahawks, though. I think people just associate the term "the 12th man" with fans. Sure, the 'Hawks might use it more than other teams, but it's not something Seattle invented like the Terrible Towel or the Lambeau Leap. It's a common term that can apply to any football game, anywhere.

Posted by: ChrisMottram | November 11, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Yeah and while we're at it, why is Vinny trying to copy an ENTIRE OFFENSIVE SYSTEM!?!?!? Doesn't he know they ALREADY HAVE A WEST COAST OFFENSE in like 9 other cities?

Also, wasn't there some guy named London Fletcher on the '99 Rams? And now we have one! Yikes. I don't know if I'm rooting for my own team anymore. It's like they just took a random assortment of non-Redskins incubated individuals and siphoned football concepts from others and put together this charade we call "our team." Well, you won't fool me anymore Snyder! If the guy wasn't artificially created in Redskins, Inc. laboratories he's not a real Redskin as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: ThisGuy | November 11, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

bring back the seat cushions!!!

Posted by: 3tripleiii | November 11, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I have to disagree with you Dan and agree with Jaime. I think we used the 12th Man thing in high school many years ago (in good old upstate NY). You are right about wiki, but I looked at that after I posted the first comment.

I remember being a little irked that suddenly Seattle decided that THEIR fans were the 12th man. HUH? I think that most people asssociate them with the fans of any team and that Seattle desperately tried to make it only mean *their* fans, until A&M came along and set them straight - talk about stealing someone else's gimmick! (I mean a random guy wearing no. 12 plays in every A&M game.)

Posted by: suzannepdc | November 11, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I definitely remember those burgundy "rally rag" things being given out as a promotion.. back in 1988!

Also noticed a ton of fans waving white towels around during last night's game, though that being San Fran v Arizona I'm not sure which team they were trying to give up on..

Posted by: alyce_b | November 11, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Also, wasn't there some guy named London Fletcher on the '99 Rams?

Posted by: ThisGuy | November 11, 2008 12:39 PM

i believe you're thinking of Christian Fletcher, who played for the HMS Bounty until he had words with Coach Bly

and what's with the "Be Proud...Be Loud" under the Wudbeiser sign? looks like thye want the 12th man acting like he's from the City of Brotherly Love

Posted by: mdrockjock | November 11, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Psh... the real 12th man is La Barra Brava at the real DC football team, DC United.

Posted by: alecw81 | November 12, 2008 1:21 AM | Report abuse