Redskins on the Fan Turnout: "Disappointed"

By the end of this morning's open locker room, every Redskins player was being asked about the Pittsburgh fan invasion. You know, the one that prompted Michael Wilbon to write this:

The Steelers left town with a victory, with Roethlisberger also smiling and not seriously hurt, and with the Redskins licking their wounds after what felt like a loss on the road. From the racket made and "Terrible Towels" being waved, Leftwich might have thought he was playing in Pittsburgh, since between 15,000 to 20,000 Steelers fans snapped up tickets and promptly took over FedEx Field in their black road jerseys. It really gets a little tiresome hearing how great Redskins fans are, only to see fans of the Cowboys or Steelers or Eagles commandeer FedEx Field. Really, they're a very average lot, at best.

Ouch. By the way, nothing like watching Redskins fans from the stands turn their backs to the field so they can take cell phone pictures of Wilbon in the press box.

Anyhow, my original estimate of 15 percent Yinzers? Way, way, way off, according to the team.

"50-50," H.B. Blades guessed.

"it sounded like 50-50 from the noise they were making, but maybe 60-40," Fred Smoot said.

"it might have been half, I don't know, it might have been 40-60," Randy Thomas said.

"40?" guessed Casey Rabach. "When I looked at the stands after the game, there wasn't many red, there was a lot of [bleeping] black though."

(By Mitch Dumke - Reuters)

"I have no clue, but there was a lot of black," Mike Sellers said. "A lot of it."

Rabach said he asked for the silent count in the second quarter, and that he and Jason Campbell used it about a half-dozen times. Why?

"I couldn't [bleepin'] hear him," Rabach said.

And the locker room's opinions on the matter? Well, the players weren't too pleased amused, although none pointed fingers at the Redskins' fan base or anyone else. They seemed more confused than anything.

"Never, never," said Smoot, when asked if he'd ever seen FedEx like that. "We don't do that. I guess maybe the recession, people selling their tickets to Pittsburgh fans? I don't know."

"I'm like are those yellow towels for us or for them?" Santana Moss said. "I really scratched my head about it, because I've never seen it done, especially at FedEx, to have someone come into our home and almost have more fans than we did. You know, you never know what reason. I didn't know if those guys was all from here, but I'm gonna go look for them. I'm going to find every Steelers fan I can find in the D.C. area."

"You expect to have your fans in the stands, not the opponents', right?" Rabach said, when asked whether he was surprised.

"I was just shocked there were so many Steelers fans there," Sellers said.

"It was one of the pointers of the game, like, 'Damn, are we giving away free towels tonight or something?' " Thomas said. "It was something we discussed on the sidelines....For a [rival] team like that to be able to get a hold of tickets? I mean, how can you do that?"

"I'm disappointed," Smoot said. "FedEx has never had that many other teams' fans. I don't know, it kind of shocked me when I seen all those terrible towels. I know Pittsburgh ain't but a couple miles away from here, but we've got to keep them out of our place. I'm not disappointed on the fans, but somebody let 'em in there. It wasn't me and I know it wasn't Dan, so SOMEBODY let 'em in there."

"Pittsburgh brings their fans, and that's good for them, but it was just strange for me seeing it at FedEx," Moss said. "I've never seen anything like it....That's what pissed me off about it, because I'm sitting there saying like, 'We're not away, why are we doing some of the things we're doing?' But you know, that's why we play this game, you know what I'm saying? You've got to be ready for whatever. And they showed us last night that they brung their whole Pittsburgh over here just to help them win that game."

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 4, 2008; 12:18 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Steelers Fans Force Redskins Into Silent Count
Next: A Final Dose of Political Football

Comments

Wilbon is a dirtbag. Fact is, the Redskins DO have as good a fanbase as any team. But with a 90,000 plus seat stadium, they are catering to the corporate crowd, not the fanbase. And the corporate crowd doesn't have that devotion. For Wilbon to paint with that broad a brush is irresponsible and just shows what a low life he really is.

Posted by: poguesmahone | November 4, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Tell Smoot that Dan DID let the Pissburgh fans in there by being so greedy and cramming so many seats in FedEx that there will ALWAYS be plenty of tickets floating around. He's as guilty as any fan who sold their tickets.

Posted by: poguesmahone | November 4, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Rabach, I expect you and the offensive line to know your blocking assignments, right?

Posted by: inchesfromyourface | November 4, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

these players need to worry more about what's going on on the field not in the stands. i wonder why there wasnt much red in the stands after the game, casey? perhaps they could stand to watch that debacle any longer. then again, casey is used to seeing a lot of yellow towels. perhaps he can block somebody without getting called for holding one game.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 4, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

The Headline should have read "Fans on the Skins turnout: Disappointed".

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 4, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

First of all, no Redskins fans are allowed to make fun of the amount of out-of-town fans that come to Verizon Center for Caps games (which, of course, was just a trickle in the playoffs last year.)

As for an explanation of why this happened, I think there are a couple reasons. First, as noted above, there are so many seats at FedEx, compared to what there were at RFK, that lots of tickets do go to corporate interests instead of actual fans. If you ever went to a game at RFK, it seemed like everyone you'd see in the stands was an real fan who'd had their tickets for years. Not so anymore.

Second, I've heard season-ticket holders say they often sell their tickets to Monday night games because they don't want to be out all night when they have to work in the morning and don't like the more drunken crowd that shows up.

Finally, as Washington has grown in population in recent decades, it seems to have grown in sports fans from non-Washington teams. When I went to Caps-Flyers games in the 1980s, there would be Flyers fans there but they had mostly come down from Philly for the night. Now, it seems many of the opposition fans at games are usually people living here. I don't know if this is explained by simple population growth, or the ability on the Internet and with cable TV to keep up with your favorite team much more closely than you could in the past while living in another city--but something does seem to have changed.

Posted by: TheFingerman | November 4, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

OK, this is all very simple. FedEx Field is the LARGEST stadium, by far, in the NFL. Redskins season ticket packages come in only one flavor: you must buy tickets for all games, pre-season included, all the same price. A pair of nosebleed seats will cost $1400. I know, because I have them. And like most season ticket holders, I can't make it to every game and I have to sell some tickets to be able to afford it all. It took me 8 years on the list to get mine, and now I live in New York and come down for half the games. That's dedication! In order to afford a plan, all you need to do is, say, sell your Cowboys or MNF tickets--games that go for triple the face value. It's economics and nothing else. So, Wilbon, saying Redskins fans are "average" is a slap in the face. We can thank the huge stadium and unreasonable ticket plans for the enemy entering our stadium, and not the fact that we are supposedly terrible fans. But who would expect someone who gets into every game for free to take that angle? Go write for another team's page--no one here enjoys your work.

Posted by: somatosound | November 4, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Steinz,

Thanks for throwing this in there so soon. Like salt to a wound. Steeler pukes will love this.

HTTR!

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | November 4, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Redskins fans are simply too smart to waste all that time and money going to a far away, crappy stadium for an awful game experience. Most of us would much rather watch the game at home than waste like six hours going to game ahnd pouringm lots of cash into Dan Snyders pocket.

Don't blame the fans. The owner has driven this team into the ground over 15 years and the stadium experience is awful. A few somewhat accidental wins won't change that overnight.

Posted by: waldmant | November 4, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

When you're hosting a team with as many bandwagon fans as the Steelers, you have two choices:

1. Put up with their terrible towels and try to out-cheer them; or

2. Act so horribly towards them that they don't come back for fear of their safety.

I'd rather have a crowd that's 1/4th Steelers fans than see FedEx Field turned into Lincoln Financial Field South.

Posted by: Fozzie1 | November 4, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

somato, true words. if this were chicago and soldier field was in some god awful place outside the city, you can be sure wilbon wouldn't pay to go see a game on monday night if he had to get up early and go to a real job. he ofter complains about boorish behavior in the stands, so it should be no wonder some fans dont want to be a part of that on a night game when the boorishness will be intensified.

not saying skins fans are better than steeler fans, but they do still have the longest sell out streak in the NFL even with the largest stadium in the league. but every team has the same deal with season tickets, you have to buy them all...

lets see what happens in the new texas stadium when opposing teams come to town. there will be plenty of opposing fans there too...including skins fans.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 4, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

WE WANT DALLAS!!

WE WANT A NEW STADIUM THATS IN THE CITY!!

AND WE WANT DALLAS!!

Posted by: alex35332 | November 4, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

The "finger" should be pointed squarely at D-bag Snyder and dead D-bag Jack Kent Cooke.

One pat on Sharon Pratt Kelly's behind killed a franchise.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 4, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

In a shocking development, Wilbon oversimplifies and exaggerates. No one has ever "commandeered" FedEx Field until last night. And it was a perfect storm for this situation, especially considering the a.) infestation of native Pittsburghians in the DC area, b.) the crappy FedEx experience that 'Skins fans are fed up with generally making the scalped tickets easier to come by, and c.) the fact it was a Monday Night game: few 'Skins fans can deal with the ridiculous traffic/parking situation on Sundays, let alone when a game ends at 1 AM on a worknight. People in Nova probably couldn't get home until 3. If people came from Pittsburgh, they probably took the next day off anyways.

Let me ask this. Would this ever happen/have happened if the game was at RFK or any other easily accessed downtown stadium? Hells to the no.

Posted by: ThisGuy | November 4, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

What people get wrong about Steelers fans is saying "They travel better than other fans." I don't think that's necessarily true. I'd guess half those Steeler fans last night were from the DC area.

Pittsburgh was decimated population-wise in the 1980s. Those people who left didn't desert the Steelers. And they started fan clubs across the nation (and world). Go to the Pour House on gameday, it'll be packed with Steelers fans.

Posted by: HippieScott | November 4, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

The reason there were so many Steelers fans is because Pittsburgh is crappy city. Of course there are tons of Steeler fans here, they hate their own city.

Posted by: relishfilms | November 4, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

There's a couple things at play in watching the Steelers take over FedEx. One, FedEx is a dump. It is in the middle of nowhere, hard to reach, ugly, and has no atmosphere. We will forever be cursed by Jack Kent Cooke's selfish legacy. Two, many fans are sick of Snyder and his mediocre record. Three, DC is a transient town with a fickle nature. We give up on losing teams (Nats, Wizards, Caps) in favor of the latest flavor. Are there really that many hardcore Steelers fans in DC? No, just a ton of bandwagoners. We see the same thing at Nats games when the Cubs are in town. But I always thought the Redskins were immune to the infiltrating fans... I guess I was wrong.

Posted by: rodeorob | November 4, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

This is such a non-story.
This is OLD news and speaks consistent with not only the Redskins, but EVERY Washington team.

Posted by: caphcky | November 4, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Sure Dan let them in. With ticket prices as high as a kite, and the black market that has plenty of buyers it's perfectly possible that enough fans from the other team buy out the stadium.

Posted by: Jotas | November 4, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Are Skins fans really this pathetic? Is DC actually an awful sports town? I don't buy and of the traffic, out-of-the-way stadium excuses. Your team is 6-2. They're playing on MNF against another storied franchise. You'd think a truly rabid fan base would suck-it-up and do whatever it takes to get to the game. Same holds true for Caps fans -- no one was interested in that team until they made the playoffs last year. Generally speaking they only sell-out when the Pens, Rangers and Flyers come to town. That's why Leonsis is charging a 'premium' for those games this year.

Posted by: Steelers36 | November 4, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

It was definitely disappointing, but the fact is it was an anomaly. This is by no means a regular thing, and opposing fans are no more prevalent at 'Skins games than they are in any other big metro city. The fact it was so drastic last night leads me to believe it was a confluence of factors contributing, not the least of which is the rabid-ness of Steelers fans, so credit is due there.

Posted by: ThisGuy | November 4, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

For all the people who are trying to make excuses about selling your tickets, you are part of the problem. If you can't make the games, don't sell them to a ticket agent. Sell them to Redskins fans. Obviously, Dan Snyder and Co. are the bigger problem for not crackingh down on effing scalper d-bags (I wouldn't be shocked if Danny and Co. are getting some kind of cut out of the deal). But seeing as how they don't seem to want to do anything about it, if you care about FedEx turing into a freindly away game for visiting teams, then stop selling to scaplers! Join the fight for FedEx!

Posted by: j-man1 | November 4, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

It is a glass half-empty approach. You should just tip your hats to Steeler fans. We are nuts and care more about football than work and politics. Nothing new, these crybaby players should not be suprised.

Posted by: tms6d | November 4, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Blame Snyder for all of the Steelers fans. Maybe if ticket prices weren't so high we wouldn't have to find a way to recoup some of that expense via an out of town fan. If the players and $nyder want a raucous crowd and a home field advantage, keep tickets prices as low as possible.

Posted by: cjzimm | November 4, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

For what it now costs to take my family to any sporting event in Washington, I'd rather pay my mortgage.

The NFL needs to adopt the "relegation" rule of the English Premier League where the worst teams are dropped to the "minor league" and championship teams from the minor leagues are promoted.

That will stop the greed and energize the fan base.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | November 4, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

The only thing that will shut up fans of opposing teams is a good home team performance.

Posted by: linroy62 | November 4, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

J-man1:Scalpers? Are you and I living in the same decade? Pretty much all tickets are sold through StubHub. Maybe eBay and CraigsList, too. If I can't make it to all of my 10 home games (yes, 2 preseason, same price), am I supposed to eat the cost? Don't forget, the Redskins (and most other professional teams at this point) condone seling your tickets--provided it's through sites like StubHub. Now how am I supposed to know if the buyer is a Redskin fan? He could be lying. Trust me, you can't count on your friends to buy up your unused tickets. I should just eat the $140 and keep my seats empty, because that would look better. Please. If you were in the shoes of any Redskins season ticket holder, you'd be faced with the same dilemmas. The obvious solution is allowing partial ticket plans, but that's not happening anytime soon. Stop beating up on Skins fans for the stupid policies of the front office.

Posted by: somatosound | November 4, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Washington is a transplant city, get over it, lots of folks here from all over the country, reckon the Federal Gov. has something to so with it huh? Steeler fans will pay any price to see their team, they have fan clubs in every state and throughout Europe, I've been to several. Don't feel hurt though Skins fans we have a huge turnout at "ALL" of our away games, this would / will never happen in Pittsburgh, our "FANS" won't allow it... EVER!

Posted by: steelers_canesfan | November 4, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

The best way to prevent things like this happening would be to actually allow visiting fans to have their own areas in NFL stadiums. Like they do in soccer stadium around the world, or even in college football.

Sell 10% (or 5 or lower for smaller fanbases) through the away team. Away sections would be much easier to secure and actually more fun for both sides. Of course in Europe, if there is an away section and you're not in it (cheering for the other team) you get booted, or sent to the away section if there is space. I'm all for that. Won't ever happen though - nothing ever happens in the NFL unless it is financially beneficial for the owners.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 4, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

We (Redskins fans) have no one to blame but ourselves. I have been in the same section with the same neighbors for years, the ones who sold thier tickets last night for whatever reason are the ones who put those towel swinging idiots in in front of and behind me, not snyder of anyone else.

The lack of football watching/cheering and excess of drinking and partying is out of control and makes a lot of the games unenjoyable. I was in the lot at 5:30 and had a few beers before the game, but it is tiresome to not be able to see the game beacause of drunk idiots fighting infront of you. No need for it.

Finally the one place Wilbon has it TOTALLY WRONG and I have not seen mentioned here yet, is that the skins fans DO travel like this in certian places...watching the games at Arizona and Carolina the last few years it was the reverse of what we saw last night. So it is not like skins fans never travel.

Posted by: JLR75 | November 4, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Ravens fan. We know the Steelers and their fans. The Steelers are truly a national team, due to the success they enjoyed in the glory years of Franco Harris, Terry Bradshaw and the Steel Curtain. Also due to the many former Pittsburgh-area residents who have fled the city for jobs in other places. And yes, they also travel well, better than any other NFL team in my opinion.

So, Skins fans you are not the first to experience this terrible towel embarrassment. Over the years, we in Baltimore have had to publicly shame Ravens fans for selling their tickets to the Steeler fans. It has worked OK. If shame doesn't work, then an occasional beer-induced beat down in the stands might keep the Steeler fans at home watching on TV. I'm not advocating this, but I have witnessed it. By the way, I look forward to seeing some of you Skins fans in Baltimore on December 7 when the Skins play the Ravens. We will be real nice. Promise.

Posted by: BMoreDemocrat | November 4, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game last night and I was mad as hell. First of all, shame on all of you "fans" that sold your tickets to a Monday night game. If you are going to sell the ticket, at least give it to a Skins fan.
Secondly, there were not as many Steelers fans as people are saying. I have had season tickets for years and have never seen so many visiting team fans in the seats, but there was no where close to the 30, 40, or 50% visitors we are hearing about.
Finally, the reason it seemed like there were so many Steelers fans was because they had something to cheer about. FedEx was incredibly loud during the first quarter. Not a coincidence that this was the only part of the game that Skins fans had anything to cheer about. The Steelers fans were loud because all of the Redskins fans were sitting there, mad as hell, watching the pathetic performance that our offense was displaying. Have no doubt that had we had something to cheer about for the final 2 hours of the game, the place would not have seemed so embarrassing.
I have never left a football game in so much disgust as last night.

Posted by: axglod | November 4, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

DRUGS@!%?? FedEx is a misplaced, poorly designed, overpriced corporate ripoff that does not cater to those of us native to the area..And there are MILLIONS of us, mind you, NOT transplants..If the stadium was at the RFK site, Snyder either wasn't the owner or wasn't as greedy, and the beer was cold, that stadium would be just brimming with Skins fans, loud and electric..

Posted by: frak | November 4, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

It was very sad to see all those towels waving even up here in New York. And while I don't condone violence, I think some of you guys who actually went to the game, should (POLITELY) scold your fellow fans for their behavior--assuming of course they come to the Cowboys game.

But equally prescient would be to inundate Redskins Park with angry phone calls, or even better, with a slew of letters imploring Daniel Snyder to do something about it.

Posted by: ColumbiaUSkins | November 4, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

What do you think StubHub and "ticket brokers" are, somatosound? They are scalpers. Call it whatever you want but the result is the same. And your point about being a season-ticket holder is just what I was going at: I *want* to be a season-ticket holder but I can't get off the waiting list (unless I want to spend $$$ to sit in the club level) because of people who hold onto to tickets that they don't use. Don't get me wrong: I think it is a sign of your dedication to the team that you come down for four games. My problem is what happens during the other four. Last night (and every Cowboys or Eagles games) is the result. I couldn't agree more that The Danny's short-sighted bs is a big cause of this. But are you telling me that you couldn't find a Skins fan willing to split the cost of a season with you?

Posted by: j-man1 | November 4, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

There is no one to blame than little Danny Snyder for making a home game an away game. 90K is the largest in the NFL, and designed to milk as much as little Danny can from the fan base. Whenever the Redskins lose, there is a bright side: little Danny is unhappy!

Posted by: Sooner1 | November 4, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

This would had NEVER happened at RFK!!!

Posted by: jag523 | November 4, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I once had a dream that the teams in the NFL, instead of being owned by multibillionaires, were all owned as stock companies, owned by the fans, who elected the managers, and who took pride in having a team that represented the cities and fans who showed them the loyalty that the teams deserved. The ticket prices were designed, not to make as much as the traffic would allow, but instead kept within reach of the average citizens. The food and beverages were not priced out of reach, but instead reflected the prices at restaurants and fast food stores in the city. And there were no "perks" for the rich and wealthy, like special no wait lanes for those who wanted to enter late, park close, and leave early.

Then, I awoke, and Little Danny Snyder had bought the team that I had followed since the days of Sammy Baugh. I wish dreams did come true.

Sooner

Posted by: Sooner1 | November 4, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

How about giving us some due credit. We rolled into your stadium 30,000 strong...I was there. This is a huge story to you...not to us. We do it in every away city.

As far as your idea af Corporate America simply not going and selling us the seats....Those hundreds of Skins fans hoilding up a pair or more to sell werent scalpers, they were season ticket holders looking for a fast couple hundred bucks.

This would never, and I mean ever, happen in Pittsburgh.

(By the way, just because we took over your stadium...does that mean your whole team forgot how to block?)

Posted by: hitting400 | November 4, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Let me sum up the ticket problem. I have a little inside info on this type of situation. I live in Baltimore and happen to hear of a story about a stubhub type company. I've been a life long skins fan due to being born the week after the colts left and my burgandy and gold runs to deep to route for the purple browns. Nevertheless, ascticket a stubhub type company has a partnership with the ravens just like stubhub does with the skins. They recently tried to convince legislators to make their ridicolus way of getting tickets and over charging people legal. Belive it or not they have dummy accounts that signup for wait list, call immediately when tickets are returned from opposing team etc... Thats problem number one. Problem number two is not utilizing the wait list to make a cheap buck. If we have 100,000 plus on the wait list why not charge those individuals face value on those return ticket emails we get everyweek? Earlier in the season they were doing that and I brought tickets. I love the redskins dearly but in these economic times I refuse to pay 400 dollars for a lower level endzone seat that I got for 100 earlier this year. Problem 3 is the corporate asses who have tickets and give them away to either snobby skins fans, opposing team fans or anybody. And if they dont do that they sell the tix on ebay, razorgator,stubhub or whereever. At the browns game there were two cowboys fans infront of me. Come on! Lastly we live in area where there are alot of bandwagon fans, steelers and cowgirls are the most noticeable. Danny boy if you wanna charge steelers fans cowboys fans etc... triple price I could care less but don't punish us redskins faithful.

Posted by: bza48842002 | November 4, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I love the way the Pissburgh fans are now claiming 30,000 of them were there. BS, it wasn't more than 15,000. But that was way too many.

Posted by: poguesmahone | November 4, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Just a quick comment to all of the skins fans here... This absolutely would have happened at RFK! There might have only been 15,000 at RFK, but the percentage of the stadium would have been the same. Steelers fans do it everywhere, and it is not bandwagon fans, a good portion of these fans travel to the games and make trips out of it. If you don't beleive it, then you weren't on the PA turnpike heading towards DC yesterday. You don't have to be embarrassed, I have seen the Cowboys have to call a timeout at home with the ball in the 4th quarter because they could not hear, and similar stories in most all other stadiums.

Posted by: mbroad1 | November 4, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm as big of a Redskin fan as the next guy, but may be we're a little soft. I live in Pittsburgh and it's beyond me how anyone from here got tickets because no one up here has jobs (maybe welfare covers football games, I don't know). I can't walk down the street with a skins jersey on w/o hearing about it.

I'm glad Kornheiser and Wilbon (neither of whom I care for) called us out. Was anyone else embarrassed about it? Rabach called for the silent count for crying out loud- at home. AT HOME!!!

Come up with all the excuses you want to but maybe it's time to put down the Blackberrys and wine glasses and start acting like football fans.

Posted by: jonnymedic | November 4, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

To all those Skins fans who say the experience is terrible. Plea.e sell your season tickets and let those of us on the waiting list who will actually go and not sell them to the enemy have a chance. I have been a fan for over 30 years and now I can afford the experience. So, let me and stop your complaining. I live in CT and would come down for every home game. It is only 8 a year for pete's sake, 10 with the pre-season.

Sorry to say, I watched with disgrace of the team and the fans last night. There are over 100,000 of us on the list who would have been happy to have been there last night.

No good fan of a team sells their tickets to an enemy. Would be better to go unused. I am sure you have friends that are Skins fans that would have taken them instead.

PATHETIC!

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | November 4, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Well, J-man 1, I'm in NYC. I've lived here for 12 years, and I waited 8 years for my tickets. I think I am an anomaly, not a problem--this is only my 2nd year with a season plan.

That said, do you think it makes me happy to see terrible towels in our house?

What do you suggest I do?--seriously. I only want to see burgundy and gold in the stands. But I can't know who is buying my tix through StubHub, which I rarely use, or Craig's list, which I often use. I read Skins blogs, but I don't see ticket sections on any. I don't even want to charge extra. (By they way, reselling for face value is not scalping.)

Instead being mad at dedicated fans like me, help me out!

P.S. I think it's unrealistic to split a season ticket plan--who gets the good games? Even in an alternating yearly basis, that's tough to decide.

Posted by: somatosound | November 4, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Ravens fans scoff at the lack of heart in RFK.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | November 4, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if it being Election Eve had anything to do with so many season ticket holders staying home, since "the political super bowl" was the next day.

I imagine if you tried "away fan" seating like you find in futbol, you would need tons of extra security to protect those fans, especially in places like DC, Philly, NYC and GB.

Posted by: metatext | November 4, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Entertaining, reading all of your comments here - I was at the game last night, and all I can say is many of the 'skins fans are whiny crybabies or belligerent morons who are trying to make a game into a war. If I want to pay my money to cheer on my team at FedEx, who are you to say I shouldn't? Instead of harrassing people who are there to enjoy a football game, maybe you should focus a little more on acting like semi-mature, reasonably adult humans - behavior which was not much in evidence last night. For the folks who say they have tickets and don't want to go to FedEx - I can certainly understand why. Having profanity screamed at me, beer spilled on me and vomit puked at my feet isn't my idea of fun - is it yours? I've been to college frat parties where 20 year olds acted with more maturity.

Posted by: d1r2b3 | November 4, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

It's not just season ticket holders like you that I am mad at, somatosound. And, like I said before, the fact that you come down here for four games is a sign that you are a real fan. But have you even tried to sell the games you can't use on any of the Skins forums? And you at least come to four games. There are seats where there are opposing fans in those seats in every single game. Now, as far as the Danny is concerned, we all know that penny-pinching toolbox doesn't care that FedEx gets taken over by other teams so long as he gets his cut. We as fans need to do something about it. Danny Boy doesn't care.

As far as d1r2b3 is concerned, get off your high horse, toolbox. Heinz field ain't a debutante ball. I have family in Pittsburgh and have been to a few Steelers games. You got cursed at and got some beer spilled on you? I have seen far worse in your house. Maybe you shouldn't be provoking the home team fans. When I go to see the Skins in other towns, I keep my mouth shut. Younz morons should try that sometime.

Posted by: j-man1 | November 5, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

I am a DC guy who lived in Chicago for many years. At Soldier Field I saw many bloody noses of fans wearing opposing teams jerseys. I know DC is a PC town but the wine and cheese crowd needs to concetrate on Gold Cup and stop coming to Skins games. Going to a NFL game is different than going to a movie. You are not just there to be entertained. You are part of the game, your town is better than the other town, our team is better than your team, your momma eats pork....you get the picture.

Posted by: daddy_axe | November 5, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Sorry guys..
We Pittsburgh Fans travel WELL.. We have filled the Verizon Center during hockey games. Even to the point that Ted Leonsis tried, in vain I might add, to keep us from showing up.. Our towels will wave proudly and we will ALWAYS return.. No matter how much you act like Eagle fans..

Posted by: Slidetuba | November 5, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I know that this won't matter to some of you people, but I just wanted to throw out some facts here regarding Pittsburgh. I am not saying that the place is a paradise, but it is nowhere near the hole that some people are saying.

Unemployment in Pittsburgh has averaged 5.2% this year (below national average) and has been pretty much around 5.0% for the last decade.

In 2007 Pittsburgh was named "America's Most Livable City".

None of this is to disparage any other city, but I get ticked off by all the "Pittsburgh Sucks" and "there are no jobs" garbage. Pittsburgh has its share of problems, like any other city, but it has a lot going for it as well.

I don't know why exactly, but people who grew up in this area are inordinately proud of where they grew up, and alot of this is reflected in the support of the sports teams. The issue with Monday night is basically 3 things:

1. Your stadium is too stinking big.
2. Season ticket holders hate going to night games (I know I do...Not that I ever sell my tickets though).
3. Steeler fans are insane. You might think your fans are crazy, but they are not this crazy.

Posted by: mcholzworth | November 5, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse