Redskins to Copy Terrible Towels

Just imagine these are Redskins fans holding burgundy towels, and you'll be good. (By John McDonnell - TWP)

Does anyone remember how Steelers fans made their presence felt at last week's game? I'm trying to remember. Were they waving bed sheets? Or maybe spraying gold spray paint into the air? Flinging Yukon gold potatoes? Playing Golden Tee? Moving their assets from securities to precious metals. Like, uh, gold?

Oh yeah, that's right, they invaded FedEx Field carrying thousands of gold towels, their signature move, which earned nationwide attention and thousands of words worth of local mind-wringing. So, with another national TV game and another traveling posse of fans on deck, what's the solution for the home team? Hmmm. Tough one. Towels maybe?

Yeah, in a move startling both for its timeliness and its originality, 50,000 burgundy ESPN980 towels will be handed out on Sunday night, 50,000 apparently being the estimated number of Redskins fans who will be on hand.

"I can't get tickets," one caller said Inside the Red Zone today.

[EDIT: I typed the following on my laptop while listening, but didn't have an actual recording. The wording is very very close, but it's possible it's not exact, and I shouldn't have put it in quotes. Apologies.]

"Everybody else could," Vinny Cerrato replied [approximately]. "All the Pittsburgh people could. You must have been calling the wrong people....We're going to have nice towels so we won't have the yellow Pittsburgh towels in the stadium. We're going to have burgundy Redskins towels. So buy tickets so they don't sell them to Cowboys fans."

Cerrato has made repeated pleas to fans this morning not to sell their tickets to Cowboys fans; he responded to one complaint about the fan base's no-show last week by saying "just stay there and vote, everybody's who's listening just keep voting for the Redskins Ticket." And at least one caller made the absurd claim that this towels thing was a mere imitation of Pittsburgh's timeless gimmick.

"I like towels," co-host Frank Hanrahan said. "I think that'll be ok."

"What's he want?" Cerrato asked of the ungrateful caller.

Bed sheets, maybe? Anyhow, Rich Tandler at Real Redskins has located at least 5,500 tickets still for sale online, and guesses there could be up to 10,000 Cowboys fans in the building on Sunday night. At least a few people are trying to apply a loyalty oath; "I won't be able to attend the 'Skins game against the hated Cowboys, and am looking to unload the tickets to two dedicated fans." Maybe if he threw in a couple towels, he'd find a taker.

Oh, and the quotes keep coming from the Redskins. "In my whole career I have never seen fans of our opponents outweigh the home crowd," Andre Carter told TheHogs.net. "In my mind, I was thinking to myself: 'What has the world come to?' It felt like 49% of the fans in our stadium were Steeler fans."

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 10, 2008; 11:14 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Look: Campbell and Cooley Take a Ride
Next: Mike Sellers Was a Scary High School Kid

Comments

Laaaaaaaaaaaame.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 10, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

isn't it just true to form? Snyder/Cerrato don't stand a chance of managing this team with the class displayed by the Rooney family, but the sure can sniff out a chance to SELL....SELL....SELL!!!

Posted by: mdrockjock | November 10, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

This is so pathetic...it's another kick in the nuts for Skins fans we have to copy someone else's idea, much less the ones that just whooped us in our own house. ZERO % chance I wave one of those towels.

Posted by: ewoldtk | November 10, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Seriously lame. I said before the game last week that they should have handed out burgundy towels knowing that a ton of steelers fans would be there with their yellow hankies. At least it would have looked like burgundy and gold on TV.

Posted by: ChampKind | November 10, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

This is really gonna make our fan base so unappealing.

- Chief Zee

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | November 10, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

don't know why we just didn't hand out "gold" towels for the Pittsburgh game. It would have drowned out the terrible towels.

Posted by: sifemembers | November 10, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I echo sifemembers comments, yellow towels would have made the Pit yellow blend in.

Also, will Maroon be all that visable on TV?

And I'm surprised that the Skins aren't charging for the towels.

Posted by: kolbkl | November 10, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Fantastically lame idea. Here's a better idea: how about the team PLAY BETTER and give their fans something to cheer about? There might have been a lot of Steelers fans there, but I don't remember there being a problem until the Skins started losing. If the Skins take care of business on Sunday like they should, you won't hear a peep from the Cowboys fans. I know this since this has happened the last three times Dallas has visited FedEx.

Also, Vinny and Dan, would you PLEASE stop whining about what media schlubs say about the team or you. Ignore them if you don't like what they say. This incessant whining just makes the entire organization look bad.

Posted by: lupin_iv | November 10, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm with the PDX guy; this is beyond lame. Its copycat 1970s lame (like a pirated 8-track tape of HTTR) ... and cheap ... if ESPN 980 was serious, they'd pass out terrible cowbells. I got the FEVER! And the only cure is more cowbell!

Posted by: dcsween | November 10, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I thought our thing were hog noses and head dresses and tomahawks? can't we start selling these to get people going, how would people like to see a stadium full of people with head dresses on like Zee?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 10, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

instead of towels, maybe they should give everyone bows and arrows. when the skins score everyone shoots the arrow!

Posted by: vmrg1974 | November 10, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, those terrible towels REALLY helped Pittsburgh yesterday

Posted by: ColumbiaUSkins | November 10, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

You know, just when you think the Danny and Vinny "Fredo" Cerrato have gone as low as they can go, they get out the drill, and drill a little lower. Memo to Danny: you just look pretty silly when you openly rip off other franchises' traditions.

Posted by: mdean3 | November 10, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mdean3 | November 10, 2008 2:34 PM

Agreed - they are so weak. I think it's hilarious that Fredo squeaks on his propaganda, "hey fans, don't sell your tickets or there's gonna be a lot of Cowboy fans there"

OK Fredo and Danny - how about you make sure that season tickets are reasonably priced and available to actual fans? Rather than letting them go to brokers/scalpers/speculators who then sell them in droves to visiting fans via your corporate advertising partner (StubHub).

The Redskins franchise has taken the game away from their fans and now they want to blame the same fans for selling tickets? Give me a break.

Revoke season tickets if they're sold online or if the occupant is kicked out of a game for poor behavior. Then you'll have a better crowd at FedEx.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 10, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Did I just hear that they're referring to the towels as "Rally Rags"?

You gotta be kidding me.

Let's chant:

"THE SKINS ARE ON THE RAG!

THE SKINS ARE ON THE RAG!"

Posted by: mdean3 | November 10, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

This is what happens when you have an insanely large stadium and overpriced tickets.

Hopefully the Danny-dome in DC will only be around 65k, and no season tickets will be sold to brokers.

Posted by: alecw81 | November 10, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see us do that Florida State Indian chant with some sort of foam tomahawk. Has that ever been tried?

Posted by: HoyaSkin | November 10, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

This is really lame. Couldn't they have at least changed it to pom poms or those thunder sticks that the Caps give out during the playoffs? I mean, blatantly copying Pissburgh's schtick? Ugh.

Posted by: poguesmahone | November 11, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse