Skins Fans Fight Back

Redskins fans wave their so-called Rally Rags. (Jonathan Newton - The Post)

There are those who accuse the media of over-hyping the great Pittsburgh invasion of Nov. 3. Guilty as charged. But still, to see how the world has changed in the two weeks since that nationally televised affront, talk to season ticket holder Jared Rosen, who had two extra tickets he couldn't use for tonight's game.

In the past, he would have sold the seats online and been done with it. In this new world, he warned online purchasers that they'd be subject to a Redskins loyalty test. And when they called, Rosen played a burgundy and gold McCarthy, asking would-be buyers to name every Redskins head coach since Joe Gibbs's first departure, demanding the year of Washington's last Super Bowl win, and requesting the location of their favorite FedEx Field tailgating spots.

"I said, 'Look, I'm only selling to Redskins fans, you've got to prove it to me,' " Rosen told me between heckling the opposition with his megaphone. "And [the buyer] proved it to me."

So yeah, two weeks after being out-cheered and out-golded in their own stadium, Redskins fans fought back. There were at least three versions of t-shirts involving anti-Dallas profanity. There were at least two models of t-shirts involving anti-Dallas homophobic jokes. One usher used a similar slur to direct Dallas fans to a different line than Redskins fans. [Hint: it rhymed with "Romo."]

One Redskins fan said he'd sooner burn his extra parking pass than sell it to a visiting fan, especially after the glut of negative media stories in the past two weeks, while another bragged of teaching his four-year old son to say "Yuuuuuuuck" at the mention of the word Dallas.

And the difference was obvious; "it feels like it's your home stadium [again]," as Rosen put it. When the cars stacked up on Arena Drive hours before the Steelers game, the road was filled with black gold. This time, early arrivers (think 10 a.m.) described a sea of Redskins fans.

"I couldn't even talk [junk] at the Steelers game, there were too many Steelers fans," said Mike Cappello of Reston, another of FedEx's megaphone hecklers. "No comparison at all."

Sure, there were Cowboys fans in the parking lots, but they blended quietly into the background, often visiting the same tailgates where Washington fans were vowing to reestablish their bona fides.

"We're gonna get stronger, harder," promised Mike Rinehart. "We're gonna get drunker and yell louder."

And, of course, two weeks after the Terrible Towel fiasco, the cloth accessory gap was completely reversed. During the Pittsburgh invasion, Steve Andricos of Alexandria had established a bounty for Terrible Towel theft, while Mike Caddy of Springfield made his own burgundy towels but wound up throwing them all at Pittsburgh fans in frustration.

Which brings us to those so-called Redskins Rally Rags, 50,000-strong. We were told they'd be burgundy, although they showed white when in motion. Fans I spoke with largely had the same reaction to the towels: satisfaction at getting something for free, mixed with mild skepticism of the concept, mixed with severe disappointment that it arrived two weeks too late.

"That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of in my life," said Aaron Glahe of Reston, who perhaps went beyond mild skepticism. "Something genuine comes from the fans and it takes off from there. Is it really truly genuine if it comes from on high?"

Some fans dubbed them "Cerrato Cloths," while others called them lame imitations of a Pittsburgh tradition, but no matter the skepticism, the towels waved. Some Dallas fans even told of being dispossessed of their towels at the gate by suspicious ushers. You see, this week, the home fans were back in charge.

"I'm 38 years old, I have two children at home, and a glorious wife that I love, and if a Dallas fan came up to me right now I'd totally fight him," noted Chris Langley of Silver Spring. "I would. I might lose, but I'd still go down fighting."

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 16, 2008; 8:39 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: LaVar Clarifies: Gibbs "Coward-Like"
Next: Morning Look: Skins, Cowboys the Same

Comments

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!! I CAN NEVER WATCH A REDSKINS GAME WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT LOSING!!! EVEN IF THEY'RE WINNING WITH 5 MINUTES LEFT IN THE 4TH I STILL WORRY IF THEY CAN MAKE IT. THEY PLAYED LIKE CRAP TONIGHT. THE O-LINE WAS AWFUL AND DEFENSE WAS GARBAGE. I'VE BEEN LIVING THROUGH THIS HELL SINCE THE 90s. IS NORV/SPURRIER STILL COACHING OR SOMETHING?!?!?! I CAN'T TAKE IT! I PREDICT MY DEATH WILL BE A HEART ATTACK 30-40 YEARS FROM NOW WATCHING A 'SKINS GAME! WE'RE NOW OUT OF THE 6TH SPOT IN THE NFC!

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | November 16, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey Washington, I believe I heard the chant at Dave and Busters on Friday night "We want Dallas!"

Do you?......I dont think so!

Posted by: teebo87 | November 16, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey Wilbon... Do decry every team who douses it winning coach with the gatorade shower of ripping off the Giants? I think not!!!

Posted by: rillbizi | November 16, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey DALLAS! You better hope you don't see us in the play-offs 'cause you are 0-fer. That right you never have beaten the Skins in the playoffs. Stick that in your cowpie and smoke it.

Posted by: rillbizi | November 16, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Uh, gee. Okay. Can we borrow those genuine and intmidating "rally rags"? WE WANT DALLAS?? Keep livin' in the 80's and keep using other teams' towel tactics.

Your offense sucks. No effing points after those 2 picks?!

Good luck getting past ANYONE in the playoffs!!!!!!!

BA-WAAAHHHH.

Posted by: OaxacaDude | November 17, 2008 12:07 AM | Report abuse

How lame! It looked like on TV that it was every 20th fan who waved their "rags." I bet the others were too embarrassed to participate in something that was a cheesy rip off of another team's tradition. Oh, and HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS!!!!

Posted by: Peaux_Sucent | November 17, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Yeah how about dem cowpukes. You're only 3-5 in the last 8 games agaist the Skins. Not to mention you are 0-2 in the play-offs against the Skins. WE OWN YOU when it comes to post season play. By the way when was the last time you won a playoff game period. What 10 years ago. There's a word for that. CHOKER!!!!!!!! The last time you guys won in post season was ancient history. Must have been before Ceasar was Ceasar.

Go play frisbee with your cowpies.

Posted by: rillbizi | November 17, 2008 1:41 AM | Report abuse

The Skins don't suck nearly as much as their fans do. Pigs get 1 TD and the fans' cocky mouths start and don't stop. Hope they held on to those giant snot rags, they have a lot of cryin' to do.

Posted by: PrdIrishAmer | November 17, 2008 4:00 AM | Report abuse

The Skins fans are the worst in the NFL, they get drunk, yell obscenities like idiots and then want to fight in the bathroom.

I will never attend another game at FEDEX. I suppose I don't have to tell you what you ccan do with your rally rag, do I?

GO G-MEN!

Posted by: RJHNYC52 | November 17, 2008 5:35 AM | Report abuse

Suuuuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeey! Look at the jowls on that hog now! How bout' them Deadskins!

Halloween is over. You can put those plastic snouts away. ;)

Posted by: Swyve | November 17, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Half of those morons were drunk. The only safe time to attend a Redskin's game is at 1pm. The Redskins and the NFL turn a blind eye to it. Wait until someone gets seriously hurt or beat up and then something will be done.

Posted by: MKadyman | November 17, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

The Cowgirl above is correct when she mentions the fact that many fans were too embarrassed to wave their towels. I didn't even take one at the gate.

Another sh*tty night at FedEx. Idiot Cowboy fans all over the place - idiot Reskin fans all over the place - and get home at 1:30 in the morning after that 'enjoyment'

I really might let my ticket go next season. Even with a roster that I like (despite the last two weeks), the whole FedEx experience is life sapping.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 17, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MKadyman | November 17, 2008 8:50 AM

People get seriously hurt and beat up at NFL games all the time and franchises barely care. Other than to make an announcement about the Fan Code of Conduct.

It's going to take mass fatalities before any real action is taken.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 17, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Hey skins fans before you can talk , first you've got to bring up that lame offense.
You lost against a 1 handed QB without its kicker and star running back.
Reality has set in , just be glad Romo was not healthy or he would have eaten your spare team alive.
How bout The Barbarian just running and running with the Skins feeble attempts to stop him !! 13 straight touches and 4 1/2 minutes GOOOOONE !!
LOL
Hilarious !

Posted by: aceventura100 | November 17, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

It's one thing to lose, but when you make a bad team look REALLY good while doing it... then I say this team really needs to look at itself...HARD!

Posted by: oda155 | November 17, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

OK, rillbizi, you have been officially charged with stupidity...let's try the case...
The last time these two teams met in the playoffs was 1982...somehow, you think that is relevant to what happens this year. (Defense Exhibit A)
The Redskins have never beaten the Raiders in a Super Bowl, so by your logic, if these two teams met this year, the Redskins would have no chance. (Defense Exhibit B)
Finally, the Boys have won more Super Bowls than the Skins have attended, even if they had tickets! Read it and weep...the verdict is unanimous...

Posted by: pdorman2sbcglobalnet | November 17, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Dan, Thanks for glorifying all of the worst elements of fan behavior. You have quotes about so-called fans wanting to fight fans from other teams, wearing shirts with homophobic statements on them (which were repeated by an usher -- isn't that cause for dismissal), and others who steal and then when things don't go their way pout and throw things like a spoiled child. It's because of idiots like these, and those like you who try to make them sound noble, that going to a game isn't fun for anyone. Let me guess, you're the type of guy who only watches NASCAR in hopes someone gets in a fatal accident.

Posted by: LionelMandrake | November 17, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey rillbizi, what's the Deadskins record against Dallas at DeadEx Field? 5 and 7. In 36 years at Texas Stadium, guess how many times the Deadskins won there? 10. When was the last time the Deadskins won a Super Bowl? January 1992--was that before Caesar was Caesar? Dallas has won three since then. How many times have the Deadskins won the NFC East in the last 17 years? Once. Dallas has won it seven times. In 10 years Danny Boy is 6-14 versus Dallas while in 20 years Jerry Jones is 25-15 versus the Deadskins. Deadskins have won 5 out of the last 8? Well, Dallas has won 17 out of the last 23. In 98 meetings, Dallas has won 57 times while the Deadskins have won an amazing 39 times, with 2 ties. Since you are a stats man then you'd know that the Deadskins get beat by the Cowboys 58 percent of the time, I happy to stick that in my cowpie anytime. And before you even bring up that dump called RFK, the Deadskins were only 20-18 versus Dallas there. Pretty sad when all you got is a silly chant from 26 years ago and two playoff wins from 1982 and 1972, again, was that before Caesar was Caesar? Weak, rillbizi, big time weak, rillbizi. I am sure Art Monk and Darrell "I could never cover Michael Irvin" Green enjoyed the evening.

Posted by: romero9 | November 17, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

rillbizi, where are you? More stats for Dallas fans to stick in our cowpies and smoke. The Cowboys and Deadskins have split the two game season series 27 times. The Deadskins have swept the season series an incredible four times (2005, 1995, 1987, 1984). Wow, four times since 1960. rillbizi, want to take a wild guess as to how many times the Cowboys have swept the season series against the Deadskins??? 14 (fourteen). Should I repeat that for you? 14 (fourteen). The Cowboys swept the Deadskins in 2004, 2003, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1994, 1985, 1981, 1980, 1977, 1970, 1969, 1968. rillbizi, this so-called 'rivalry' didn't begin 8 games ago. It started on October 9, 1960. rillbizi, I love to play frisbee with my cowpie and then smoke it. Hey rillbizi, you ever been to Texas Stadium? Cause if you have then you would know that never in its 36 year history has it ever heard a silly little high school chant along the lines of 'we want Washington', 'we want Washington', 'we want Washington'. To summarize rillbizi's argument, the Deadskins own the Cowboys in the playoffs because they are 2-0 in playoff games dating back to 1972 and 1982 (as rillbizi would say, before Caesar was Caesar) and Dallas has not won a playoff game since 1996. rillbizi, I hope you are not a defense attorney, then again maybe you are and you have a fool for a client.

Posted by: romero9 | November 17, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Two weeks, and you deadskins are still talking about how we took your house, sheesh!
And your "rags" are just that, rags. First, try something original for a change. Second, the Terrible Towels are always paid for, and 100% of the profits go towards Copes' charity, Autism. As for waning to fight, what a bunch of dumbaZZ fans. You would think you are from filthydelphia. Get a team together, and come see us again, anytime, and we will see you again in 8 years for another 'home' game.

Posted by: stef9654 | November 17, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

All the people whining and complaining about the Redskin fans, FedEx Stadium, etc, I hate to break it to you but the partying, foul language, taunting, socalled fighting, etc. happens at EVERY football game and stadium across the country SO only post if you have something intelligent to say about the game or anything associated with the team, game, etc. Ya'all sound like a punch of whiny spoiled children. I still love my Redskins and always will! That is being a true fan, sticking with them through thick and thin. HAIL!

Posted by: ladyredskins | November 17, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

I know the Pittsburgh game is old news but as a veteran of many games at FedEx Field and RFK and one of many at the Pittsburgh game I saw nothing unusual about the number of Steelers fans. There were more visiting fans than usual at this particular game. But those numbers were certainly comparable to the number of Philly fans when the Eagles show to play. Proximity to D.C. had and will determine the high/low turnout for visiting fans.

Posted by: brerol | November 17, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Redskins Rally Rag!? What a friggin lame attempt to regain some dignity as football fans.

I was at the MNF game, and it was a BEAUTIFUL thing to see the yellow & black engulf the stadium - even the REDSKINS PLAYERS were confused.

LOL! Many thanks to DALLAS this week!!

Posted by: Team_Polamalu | November 17, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Unbelievable...Its a stupid game played by millionaires that could careless about this so-called "rivalry". Are you seriousily encouraging fighting to prove you support your team? Very mature. Go back to your double-wide in Waldorf. Teach your kids better. Whatever happened to sportsmanship?

Posted by: ray_mont | November 18, 2008 6:38 AM | Report abuse

ps. LadyRedskins....it does not happen at every stadium.

Posted by: ray_mont | November 18, 2008 6:40 AM | Report abuse

In reply to:

ps. LadyRedskins....it does not happen at every stadium.

Posted by: ray_mont | November 18, 2008 6:40 AM

---------------------------------------------

You are in fantasy land. I have been to many different stadiums, domes, etc. and have friends who go all over the country and it is the SAME in EVERY stadium, dome, etc. Just post what you think about the game, etc intelligently and let people have their opinions also. I am just tired of the whining and complaining, etc. I KNOW what I am talking about. Have a great day!

Posted by: ladyredskins | November 18, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ray_mont | November 18, 2008 6:38 AM
------------------------------------------

And - In response to the ignorant comment above - why do you feel the urge to be insulting? I guess it is to makeup for YOUR insecurities. If you don't like the Redskins and the fans, find another team or quit watching, listening ot having anything to do with the Redskins. We (or any other NFL team or any sport team)don't need or want bad fans like you! Another words - quit acting like a child and comment intelligently. Hope you are having a good day!

Posted by: ladyredskins | November 18, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

LadyRedskin...I am acting like a child because I do not act up to root for a football team? I have been in other stadiums. Good luck if you are trying to be like Philly or Oakland and consider that good behavior. You need to grow up.

Posted by: ray_mont | November 18, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Ray_Mont-- You admitted it, you are acting like a child which does not surprise me. AND I am grown up. I guess you haven't been to Tampa and a Bucs game, they are the worst fans against the team they are playing and I am telling you this for an example. They harass, insult, fight, etc to the opposing teams fans. I saw it and got back to my car and got out of Tampa as fast as I could. That is only one example. Room on this comment section would not let me go stadium by stadium. And I DO NOT condone bad behavior at any sporting game! You do not have to be insulting which you are. Like I said, find something else to do, something that you will be happy with. Still hope you are having a nice day, I am and usually do. THE END!

Posted by: ladyredskins | November 18, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh you skin fans just can't deal with reality. You have been so jealous of the Cowboys and their dominance over you since day 1. You want so badly to be the Cowboys and have the same respect and world wide fan support - but alas, your petty jealous continues to get in the way of success and respect. Your best retorts "Dallas Sucks" or my favorite "We want Dallas". Unforunately, you left out two little words - We want "TO BE" Dallas. Everytime you beat the Cowboys, it is your Superbowl for the year. When we beat the skins, it is simply another win in a long history of winning against the skins.

Posted by: Skinssuck1 | November 18, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse