Witness a Rally Rag

I think we can all agree that we've ALL been off our games lately. The Redskins' offense has reached 20 points once in five games. Hip Hip Hooray has been hip hipped once in five games. Fans are slipping back into their "maybe we should change the quarterback?" comfort zone. My traffic is flagging, as often happens following losses.

And then there's the Redskins Rally Rags. I mean, is this really a Redskins production? No Geico sponsorship? Nothing from StubHub? FedEx? Bank of America? I mean, nothing? Plus, I thought it was ESPN 980, not Redskins Radio. I mean, c'mon, even the Wizards brand the heck out of their freebies with the names of their corporate sponsors. Just when you're finally ready to be sold something, things turn pure?

By the way, Vinny Cerrato took a few seconds before breaking down the game on his radio show to thank the fans. Joe Gibbs would have been proud.

"Well, I think the thing I would like to do number one is thank the fans," Cerrato said a few moments ago. "There wasn't many Cowboy fans there, and I thought our fans--and thank 980 for the towel. I thought the towels were great, the crowd was very enthusiastic. It was all Redskins fans, we'll start out with that. Thanks to the fans, outstanding."

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 17, 2008; 10:12 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Look: Skins, Cowboys the Same
Next: Cerrato Agrees With Cerrato Critiques

Comments

Towels are loud.

I was surprised by the lack of branding, but thought they would be all burgundy. White towels looked a bit strange and I'm not sure they had the desired effect on television.

Posted by: sitruc | November 17, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I heard Vinny's "thank you" as well... and had the exact same thought. Joe Gibbs must have left a copy of his script laying around.

Posted by: kingrob76 | November 17, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Of course he thanks the fans. They're the idiots who keep giving money to Snyder and his minions.

Posted by: rdpinva | November 17, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

the towels sucked it was like we were all waving the white flag to surrender

Posted by: jonthefisherman | November 17, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

They tried to give us burgundy Geico headbands with a little yellow Gekko on the front after they claimed that they were out of towels.
We would have been fooled had we not spotted a FedEx employee opening a new box full of Horrible Hankies. He was quickly torn to pieces by an angry mod hungry for freebies.

Posted by: ChampKind | November 17, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

ew ugly, at least make them look better

Posted by: rachel216 | November 17, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

"There wasn't many Cowboy fans there, and I thought our fans--and thank 980 for the towel..."

1. Basic grammar: "There weren't many Cowboy fans there..."

2. There were a ton of Cowboy fans there..."

3. All you have to do is watch the highlights and you can see TONS of Cowboy fans even in the "Dream Seats."

4. Doesn't $nyder own 980?--so, he is really thanking Danny for the towel.

5. Vinny is delusional.