Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium?

It's Lindsay Applebaum, filling in as a guest bogger again. Yes, I'm still here. Your beloved Steinberg will be back soon, I promise. Until then, I will continue to torture you with my lack of cheese references and quirky Jim Zorn stories.

The economy is crumbling faster than the Redskins' playoff hopes these days, and it's taking down all the little guys. First, it was my favorite sushi place near work. Now, it's good old Chevy Chase Bank, which happens to be the place where I deposit and then immediately withdraw my paycheck every two weeks. It's probably your bank, too. Well, it's Capital One's bank now, because they're buying it for $250 million.

Goodbye, little blue check card. Goodbye, long lines, strange hours and out-of-town cashiers giggling and asking, "Your bank is owned by Chevy Chase, the actor?" (Yes, smarty pants. Chevy Chase, the actor. Because when I think of National Lampoon's Vacation and Caddyshack, by God, I think of secure banking and overdraft protection.)

Also, maybe most importantly, depending on how much corporate sponsorship means to you, goodbye to Chevy Chase Bank Field at Byrd Stadium.

Remember when the bank purchased naming rights to the field -- yep, just the field -- at Maryand's Byrd Stadium for $20 million in 2006? Sort of a waste of money, no? Because it's still Byrd Stadium. You call it Byrd Stadium, The Post calls it Byrd Stadium -- it's BYRD STADIUM, except on the highway, where all signs point to Chevy Chase Bank Field at Byrd Stadium.

Regardless, where do we go from here? The lame, and likely answer? Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium. Or really, as Post writer John Kelly astutely points out, it should really be called "Capital Zero" or "Capital Minus One" Field. My vote goes to "Damn the Man" Field at Byrd Stadium.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  December 5, 2008; 9:37 AM ET
Categories:  Terps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Plax as a Redskin: So Crazy, it Just Might Definitely Won't Happen
Next: Morning Look: That Was a Good Weekend

Comments

More Empire Records references, please.

Posted by: Colm1 | December 5, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Now what check cards will students wave around at basketball games in order to win a hundred bucks? Capitol One cards probably aren't as colorful...

Posted by: pipkin42 | December 5, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Is capitol 1 the one who also is sponsoring the new DC football Eagle Bank bowl game? Because if the game works out but they move it out of RFK, it could end up being, the Eagle Bank bowl on Capital One field.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 5, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

L-A-M-E...

Posted by: card1 | December 5, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

What's in Debbie Yow's wallet?

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | December 5, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

More guest bogs, please.

This week needs more Bonita.

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | December 5, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

This week needs more Bonita.

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | December 5, 2008 2:23 PM

And more cowbell, http://www.funnyhub.com/videos/pages/snl-more-cowbell.html

Posted by: alex35332 | December 5, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

thsi psotngi si givign me dysleixa

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | December 5, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

...or the sale is nowhere near completed and it will be a while before any sponsorships change. Even after the sale, there are probably provisions in the sponsorship contract that Maryland officials have that may prevent changing the name sponsor without penalties or payouts. I wouldn't be surprised if Capital One were to re-evaluate some of the Chevy Chase sponsorships though.

As far as Bowls go, what was the Citrus or Tangerine Bowl is the Capital One Bowl.

Posted by: sitruc | December 5, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

...and then there is this.

Posted by: sitruc | December 5, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

"You know how NOT big of a deal this is, that Maryland's football stadium's field's sponsor just got bought out and as a result the name of the grass might be altered in some way? I can't find anything about it on the Internet. Anywhere."

I found something about it on the Internet!

Posted by: Lindemann777 | December 6, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse