Cowherd Piles on Redskins

Colin Cowherd laughs at you. Ha ha, he laughs. (By Ricky Carioti - TWP)

As near as I can tell, Colin Cowherd only exists to spend lots of time saying mildly stupid and faintly controversial things on a radio show no one ever talks about so that he can then spend twice as much time praising himself for having the courage to say mildly stupid and faintly controversial things on a radio show no one ever talks about. I simply can't listen any more, and have made great heaving efforts not to mention his name here any more.

But here's where it does get ever so slightly interesting: on Monday, Cowherd took another in his series of endless non-creative shots at the Redskins organization. As far as I can tell, he did so on ESPN 980, the Daniel Snyder radio giant that seems to be in business solely to undermine the Redskins organization. If it's not a national host openly laughing at the team, on the team's radio station, it's the local hosts openly mocking the front office, or the star player coming on to rip a crevice in the team's united front, or the news readers playing the juiciest bits from that star player's critique over and over again.

I swear, I'm now convinced that the Redskins are biased against the Redskins. If the Redskins aren't going to be fair to the Redskins, then the Redskins need to buy a new football team to provide fair and balanced coverage that the Redskins seem unwilling to provide themselves.

"I guess that is synergy," is how Thom Loverro put it yesterday. Something like that. Cowherd's remarks, which include shots at the D.C. print media for having the audacity to point out that he's a spittle-spewing squirrel:

"There are certain teams or certain people who have ticked me off through the years that I can smirk at when they lose. I'm not gonna lie to you, I kinda like seeing the Redskins go down in flames. On Mondays and Fridays, they replace us in D.C. with a member of the organization. Yeah, like the Patriots would do that, like the Steelers would do that.

"I've said it before, I don't think it's a well-run organization. I think the Redskins overpay for players, try to get flashy hires, don't take the draft as seriously as big-time teams like the Patriots and Steelers, and so I'm not gonna lie, I never lose a lot of sleep when the Redskins lose. And this Redskins team looks like the last several Redskins teams: an aging offensive line, one really nice running back, itty-bitty wide receivers, too much defense, not enough playmakers, and Down-Go-The-Redskins.

"It's nothing personal [see above], but I've never thought they're well-run. I think their fans are aggressive, too much so, and have agendas. And because I replaced a print guy from D.C. [Tony Kornheiser, a print guy????] the media always bashes us in D.C., despite the fact we've gotten ratings, so I find it hysterically funny when the Redskins go down in flames. [Because the D.C. print media has been so supportive of this franchise?]

"That said, I can be honest about them. When they're good, they're good; when they're bad, they're not....It's nothing personal, but the D.C. print media, the web site ExtremeRedskins.com [sigh], replacing me on Mondays, I'm not gonna lie to you. Watching the Redskins go down in flames, i smirk a little. THEY made it personal, so now I get the last laugh. Bummer, Redskins fan. Your team stinks again, deal with it."

Trent Dilfer was also a guest that day. Concerning the Redskins, Dilfer said, "Yes, we absolutely can write em off." Just if you were wondering whether you had Trent Dilfer's permission to give up.

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 10, 2008; 8:29 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis vs. Zorn, the Quotes [Updated]
Next: Caps Talk Hockey Superstitions

Comments

FIRST--The day 980 replaced the Kornheiser Show with this guy some 3-4 years ago was a sad one. He comes off as some Dan Patrick/Jim Rome hybrid, but he's neither insightful, witty, or mildly entertaining. It's also funny that Trent Dilfer thinks that he can write the Redskins off when his own teammates, coaches and front-office folks with the Bucs, Ravens, Seahawks, Browns and 49ers did the same to him--WHILE HE WAS PLAYING FOR THEM (not to mention opposing defenses). The sad thing about Colin "CowTerd" and his pathetic excuse for a show is that if you hadn't reported this, who would know?

Posted by: PGJAYHAWK | December 10, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, why does Dan Snyder suck up to ESPN so much? ESPN does nothing but pimp the Redskins biggest rival 24/7. Snyder replaced Steve Czaben on 980 with Mike and Mike. Good move. Replace a local guy's national show with a couple of idiots. And then follow it up with that blowhard Cowherd. Good move.

And I really don't understand the comment about Skins fans being "aggressive, too much so." What does that mean?

Posted by: davekempson | December 10, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

When Cowherd first started on ESPN, he was merely a boring radio show host. Then, perhaps after doing shots of turpentine one evening while listening to tapes of his show, he decided he needed to develop "attitood."

Now, he's a boring radio show host...with attitood.

Posted by: fjc33 | December 10, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Dan, Loved your blog entry this morning and thanks for making me laugh. But I think you missed the point on why Snyder bought the station and puts on all the Redskin material. He didn't buy it to support the Redskins, he bought it to create controversy so that people will spend all their waking hours following the controversies and watching the games. What other owner would put his general manager (or whatever you call him) on the radio twice a week to face two hours of pure unaltered and direct abuse from irate fans? I love it!!!! We could be living in some market where teams are just mediocre without all the drama (like Jacksonville or something), and that would be no fun.

Posted by: KWall1 | December 10, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Is there really such a thing as too much defense?

- A Ravens Fan

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | December 10, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: davekempson | December 10, 2008 8:53 AM

This may be the most dead on post that I have ever read. I like it so much that I will cut and paste it on RI (where many more will see it).

Posted by: CBT2 | December 10, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Full disclosure: I listen to Cowherd every day.

Non-creative shots at the Redskins? If anything Cowherd has been very consistant over the past few years with his criticisms of them. He's always said they have a meddling owner who overpays for free agents and doesn't take the draft seriously, and he's right about that. He didn't like them from the beginning of the season, said around week 4 that they may be better than he initially thought but recently said he should've stuck with his initial instincts from the get go with his opinion on them.

Posted by: Fitz157 | December 10, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Kwall has it correct. Snyder is borrowing a page from Brian Bosworth who sold anti-Boz jerseys to Bronco fans. If people are going to rip you, you might as well make money off the forum where they do it.

Posted by: rdpinva | December 10, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Colin Cowherd is a tool.
I hate his show.

Posted by: kreator6996 | December 10, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Colin on this one. I am a native Washingtonian and find that our organizations are pretty out of touch with the methods of building champions, except for the Capitals, and the jury is still out on the Nationals since Kastan is building his prototype model that built the Braves in the early 90s, it just takes time. Time is the biggest issue with Washington fans (at least not the fairweather ones, who find it trendy to go to sporting events to be seen).

The Redskins have horrible line play, they have never addressed that issue from when Snyder took over ( please do not argue with Jason taylor, a great waste of two draft picks), because line play does not gather fan interest and generate any buzz for the causal Redskins fairweather fan whom Snyder is targeting. The Redskins seem content on being mediocre in order to attract enough fan interest to generate sales. That will change, and our 90+ thousand seat stadium will now be more of a neutral site for opposing teams (ala steelers game). I am not an NFL GM (like every Washington fan seems to be) but there are many issues from the top-down of that organization that need to be addressed or the skins will be doomed for more 7,8,9,10 win teams never advancing far into the playoffs, or even getting there.

Posted by: amavroukakis | December 10, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

No one is arguing whether or not the Redskins are poorly run. They are. The point is that Cowherd is an egomanical, self indulgent, nasally windbag. Anybody could have predicted the Skins would finish around .500. Most did. Yet when he predicts it, it somehow becomes divine mandate.

Here's my take on his show.
Colin: I don't like...something
(comes up with analogy to describe something)
(spends next 20 minutes explaining/defending analogy to no one)
(talks about vacation)
END OF SHOW

Posted by: feyd991 | December 10, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

And to the Post, you guys started all this by always generating hype and buzz with your columns when it is not necessary. Why do I care when Jason Fabini gets signed to START at D tackle? really? Stop creating so much hype and buzz and maybe the culture can change.

Posted by: amavroukakis | December 10, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Look, his criticism of the Redskins is dead-on. It's also what everyone else has been saying for years (only when LaCanfora says it, he's a "hater").

But, in classic Cowherd fashion, it just gets delusional after that. DC's fans are too agressive? The print media has an anti-Cowherd agenda? And he takes pleasure in the 'Skins losing because the DC media hates him? Huh?

It all boils down to ego. He's hurt that they preempt his lousy show for lousy Skins coverage. Thing is, neither are worth my time.

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 10, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

i don't see why leigh torrence hasn't replaced cowherd? travesty.

Posted by: bms46and2 | December 10, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Best. Quote. Ever!

"Colin Cowherd is a poor man's Jim Rome. And Jim Rome is a moron. So Cowherd is a poor man's moron."

And the cherry on top...

"Colin Cowherd is a tool"

Thank you, gentlemen, for saying EXACTLY what was on my mind.

I'm not saying Cowherd is wrong in his assessment of the team...but the problem is that EVERYONE said that. He makes it sound like everyone had the Skins picked to get homefield throughout the playoffs and only he was able to see through them and the anti-Cowherd bias in DC. The reality is that if you had asked anyone how the Skins would do this year, you would have been hard pressed to find people say they'd even be approaching .500, let alone in playoff contention with 3 games left. The anti-Cowherd bias only started because of TK...if he'd have actually been good at what he does, people would have long since moved on. No, he continues to draw people's ire by making comments ranging from obvious at best to idiotic at it's usual worst. All that aside, he will never be forgiven in my book for the Sean Taylor comments.

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | December 10, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Cowherd is a maroon but even they, like a broken clock, are right roughly twice a day.

The Lower Potomac Indigeneous Peoples are a badly run organization (no, Colin, you are not some sort of seer for expounding on that) and just like someone else posted, no matter how much fans realize this and complain and no matter how much the Lower Potomac Indigeneous Peoples lose, the fans BUY THE MERCHANDISE AND PAY FOR TICKETS AND GO TO GAMES NO MATTER WHAT. Unless this simple but important fact changes, the team will not change.

Posted by: playahatah | December 10, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | December 10, 2008 2:21 PM

That's EXACTLY why I hate Colin Cowherd. Wilbon, at least, apologized.

Posted by: PBL4 | December 10, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Two points:

I never thought I'd be in favor of the Vinny Show, but thank heavens I'm not alone on thinking Cowherd is tripe. Who the heck listens to him? He obviously shoots for salesmen. Does it work?

Second: playahatah, I think we are seeing the lack of support hit the bottom line. I'm on the tickets waiting list, and they've sent out emails saying they have extras *for every game*. You could have gotten Dallas tix *for face value* this season the week of the game.

Snyder's run the waiting list nearly dry. He bought some assets, and now he's run many into the ground. Enjoy your hats of money, Danny.

Posted by: WorstSeat | December 10, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Colin Cowherd is a nasty jerk. If he does not like the Skins, that is his prerogative. However, he disses them relentlessly EVERY DAY. I listen to 980 while at work but have started turning the radio off when he comes on.

With all that is going on in the sports world why would anyone spend so much time talking about a team and organization he hates? Just move on, Cowpile.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 10, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm pleasantly surprised at The Danny for not censoring the shows on his station, but if there were ever a time to invoke that power, it would be to get rid of Cowherd for the other three days of the week. As long as he's on, I will not listen to ESPN 980 from 10-12 Tuesday-Thursday

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | December 11, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse