Jason Taylor: "I'm Not Worth $8 Million"

(By Streeter Lecka - Getty)

If you haven't already heard, Jason Taylor was on the Junkies on WFJK 106.7 WJFK this morning and offered a fairly scathing assessment of his own season, concluding with this:

"I'm a realist. You can tell me the truth, and I'm fine with that. Because at the end of the day, most of us know the truth and some times some guys are just afraid to admit it, but I'm not worth 8 million dollars....You know what, I'll tell you, I may not be worth 8 million dollars, but I know one thing, this dog can still hunt. This dog can still hunt. Put me in the right situation, the right position and I'll hunt all day."

He was also asked if he'd be surprised if ties were severed between him and the Skins in the offseason.

"Would I be surprised? No. If I'm not back, I wouldn't be surprised," he said, as the $8 million figure was brought up. "And I'm not worth it," he said, "so I would not be surprised at all."

But when asked whether there were one-on-one matchups he hasn't won this year, he seemed less critical of himself.

"Are there times? Yes," he said. "And there's been times throughout 11 years that yes, I've not beaten one-on-ones, because that other guy does get paid, too, he's gonna win one-on-ones, too. But there hasn't been as many as people think. If people really put the tape on and watched defensively the situations we get ourselves in, you know there's a lot that goes into getting after quarterbacks."

Earlier, he discussed the injuries that have sidetracked both him and his team, saying that he probably should have sat out more time with his leg issue but that he was being "hard-headed."

"Number one, every team is hurt," he said. "That's a fact, every team is hurt. Now, there's a difference between stating a fact and issuing yourself an excuse. So if you state a fact and say, 'We're a banged-up team, we've got a lot of guys hurt,' then that's a fact. If you start using that as a crutch or an excuse, that's kind of when it becomes a problem. You asked me in particular what my problem is. Do I think I'm too old? No. Have I been hurt? Yes, I've been hurt. I've had two surgeries in the last two months, and haven't had but one in 11 years. But at the end of the day, I'll be the first to tell you, I stink right now. I need to play better. I need to get comfortable and play better."

Two more notable bits. His "put me in the right position" thing smacked of dissatisfaction at his role, and the Junkies followed up with a question about that, asking whether this was an ideal system for his skills.

"I'm not here to complain," he said. "I'm just a player, and this is the scheme, and I've got to fit into it and find a way to make me successful in it. It's not the ideal, if I had my druthers, but it is what it is. It's fine."

And he was asked about the rumors about Jim Zorn's job security.

"I've never seen a situation where a first-year coach would be worried about his job with seven wins," he said. "I understand that things are done differently up here....[but] I wouldn't expect it. I've heard on the radio some people say they wouldn't be surprised if it happened or they expect it to happen, but that's tough. And it's tough for Coach Zorn to have to worry about that at this point right now...to have to worry about your job in your first year when you've won seven games. And I understand we were 6-2 and we should be a lot better off, however, that's still tough working conditions for him."

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 18, 2008; 12:51 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bowl Yields RFK Memories
Next: A College Bowl Practice

Comments

Meanwhile Cerrato and Snyder are working behind closed doors to extend Taylor for 6 years at $41.3 million guaranteed.

Posted by: ThisGuy | December 18, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

All this means is that Vinnie C. and Danny Boy will sign him back next year for 7 million.

Posted by: trueredskinsfan | December 18, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Then give some of that money back, you waste of space.

Posted by: AquaBoogie | December 18, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

These past few years "this" defense, and let me emphasize "Greg Williams" defense; and it is still his defense is not predicated on an individuals talent but to the defense scheme designed by the D. coordinator. for the life of me Williams and Blache believe that a defense end or linebacker that roams around on defense is considered a "Renegade". Ask Lavar. Ask Carter. You don't have to ask Taylor. He gave you the answer.

Posted by: bigd57 | December 18, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

This is even more depressing.

F JT55!

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 18, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Along with giving back some of the $8M he doesn't deserve, JT should give back the #55 jersey he's wearing that he doesn't deserve, either -- Chris Hanburger doesn't deserve to be linked by number with a has-been like JT.

Posted by: gr8day4bsbll | December 18, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

So Taylor goes on the Junkies and provides them with some thoughtful, humble answers, takes responsibility for his own poor performance, and even goes so far as to say he's been overpaid for his services. Sounds like a classy move, no?

And this is the response he gets?

'Skins fans, man.

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 18, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

If it were up to fans we would have a new team, and coach after every season that we did not win the superbowl or make the playoffs. We wanted Gibbs, now we want Cowher without realizing that Cowher had more bad seasons than Gibbs. If they did not go and get Taylor we would all be complaining about Vinny not trying to address our injuries on the line. You cant win with these fans because you all have become so impatient that if the skins are not the best team in football every year we cant handle it.

Posted by: ged0386 | December 18, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Skins fans suck more than the team does by far. The only way you get any appreciation is if they are in first place or in the superbowl.

Posted by: ged0386 | December 18, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

eff you ged0386 you suck the most you cowboy troll

Posted by: jonthefisherman | December 18, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh please, give the friggin fans a break. I'm a Skins fan, a diehard one. I remember some really great teams, and some really lousy ones.

This is what Skins fans are upset about: Vinny goes out and gets him some non-scouted draftees and free agents, and calls the coming year a breakthrough year, and naturally, each year the team blows up.

This year the team is actually not that bad, but the obvious weak spots are on the offensive and defensive lines, and a quarterback in his fourth year who consistantly shows a little hesitancy.

The latter can be fixed. JC can be coached up significantly. Jim Zorn is just the guy to do it, even if he has to put in some extra time at doing it.

Fixing the offensive and defensive lines, however, is going to take careful picks in the draft, careful free-agent buys, and will require a legitimate general manager to do it.

The Redskins are done this year, but that's OK. I'm a Redskins fan, and I'm calling on The Daniel -- respectfully understanding that he's the owner and he really loves the Redskins -- to fire Vinny Cerrato.

Nine years, six head coaches, five offensive philosophies, countless draft and free agent busts, 75 wins, 86 losses. Enough said.

Posted by: Meepo | December 18, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Those who think Jim Zorn will be gone next year are the biggest idiot simpletons around. Of course Zorn will be back next year--this is not 2001 people! Things change. Just because Snyder let go of Marty after 1 year (in order to get Spurrier) does not mean it will happen again.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 18, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

its actually WJFK. Not WFJK

Posted by: FanFromFallsChurch | December 18, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be pleasantly shocking if a pro athlete said "I'm not worth what they pay me, but I can still play AND I want the team top get better,so let's re-structure my contract down and use that money for some more horses on the O-line. Besides, who the hell needs $8 mil a year to live? I can do just fine with less."

Guy would get Sportsman of the Year.

Cold day in hell before anything like that happens though.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | December 18, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to Jason Taylor for being a realist. Some guys play hard and don't get paid, and others get paid and start giving up the effort. Good for him if he can snag a few more dollars from super rich Danny boy.

Anyone who turns down eight million is a fool. The real fool is Vinny and Dan for giving ten mil to Brandon Lloyd and handing out draft picks.

Let JT Play!

Posted by: swingwing | December 18, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

He's only saying he's not worth it because he wants out and he wants to go to Hollywood.

Posted by: goobgoob | December 18, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Funny how he didn't say that before he was traded.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 18, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Guy averaged 12 sacks a season the last 3 years, he was worth the 8mill. Kinda weird that most free agents that come here end up sucking. You do the math rmcazz.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | December 18, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

He is still worth keeping if he restructure his contract for the next 3 years to incentive based bonuses with nothing guaranteed except maybe $1 million/per year. That way he can be the bridge for the young defensive linemen that will be coming in next few years while providing some situational pass rush. I have no problem with him playing the spot that Marcus Washington currently plays now. In fact, he will actually be an upgrade once he learns the position of outside linebacker.

Posted by: JohnWWW | December 18, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vmrg1974 | December 18, 2008 3:26 PM

And this is why we should not pursue Albert Haynesworth.

Posted by: TDawg1 | December 18, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Why so much hate for Taylor? He's honest and insightful. It's not his fault that Danny boy and Cerrato gave him all that money... Everyone one of you haters would have taken it in a heart beat! The Danny and Vinny show is the real waste of space. They are the cancer to this team and there is no cure until the cancer is completely removed. Bottom line....

Posted by: skinfannomore | December 18, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I am just living by the notion that as long as Snyder and Cerrato are running the show, this team is doomed for mediocrity at best.

The Redskins need a General Manager. Someone who knows what the heck they are doing. They need to actually stay patient instead of trying to knock down everything year in and year out.

I'm still a Redskins fan and always will be one, but the Snyder era is really making its' mark as one of the ugliest times in this team's history.

Posted by: DrCapsFan | December 18, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Props to Lurch

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | December 18, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

He was hurt all year with an injury that's more than an inconvenience. Of course he wasn't going to play well. I anticipate the off season will do him well and he'll earn that $8 mil next year.

Posted by: Booyah5000 | December 18, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Who bother's listening ro the former "Sports" Junkies anymore?

Posted by: kreator6996 | December 18, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Now that's just crazy talk, so hush, JT. You are worth exactly what someone is willing to pay you. In the case of Snyder, that's usually a lot. Yes, I understand Taylor was due to earn $8M in Miami, but not if they had cut his washed-up behind. The Daniels injury fell right into Parcells' lap, and saved The Tuna from having to blink first in his staredown with JT.

So enjoy your one year, $8M fly-by in DC, and best of luck with the Hollywood second career.

Man, all this honesty comin' out of the Park, from Zorn, to Portis, and now Taylor. What are they smokin' out in Ashburn?? Yes, I b!tch when the players and coaches give canned responses, and now I'm b!tching about too much honesty. Ain't life grand? :)

Posted by: rooster75 | December 18, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Here's a guy honest enough to admit he has played lousy this year and you fools blast him for it. Would you rather have a T.O. type? Jason Taylor, when healthy, is still a helluva player. I'm confident he'll show us that next season.

Posted by: StevefromSacto | December 18, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Off the top of my head I can remember folks that fall in the Jason Taylor mode...

Alvin Harper

Jeff George

Jeremiah Trotter

James Washington

Mike Barrow

Deion Sanders

Mark Carrier

Bruce Smith

Adam Achuleta

Jason Taylor

Darn, Mr. Snyder... someone is giving you some terrible advise.

Posted by: samiismoni14 | December 18, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

By the way, if I cost my employer that amount of mis-spent dollars my behind will be working at a toll booth (11pm-6am shift). or worse sitting at a bar somewhere in Cleveland (US version of Siberia).

Posted by: samiismoni14 | December 18, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Doctor Strangelove Synder and Professor Cerrato are no strangers to being morons. They are both idiots and until Snyder sells this team and Cerrato is gone will they ever make another appearance in the Superbowl. All those suckers that go to games makes me so happy that I sold my tickets that had been in the family since 1953. It seems too that fans in spite sell their tickets to Steeler and Cowboy fans as a testament to the games when those respective teams visited Fedup Field this past year and those rabid fans were screaming their lungs out. Cannot wait for Dannyboy to build the new stadium downtown and offer his loyal moron fans PSL's for the most overated team in the NFL or not for long.

Posted by: Sideswiped | December 18, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Jason Taylor has played 11 games. He was brought to Washington to sack the QB. He is paid $8,000,000. He has 1.5 sacks.

That is $5,333,333 per sack.

If he ain’t sackin’, send him packin’.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | December 18, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

As a long time Redskin fan who have moved from the East coast to the West coast and now back East. I am very frustrated at watching other teams build their teams wisely through drafts and free agency. Most teams that are consistently competitive and make the playoffs year after year build their offensive and defensive line first and then find a play maker who isn't washed up, overrated or put in the wrong scheme. Look at the Giants, Colts, Eagles, Ravens, and even the Cowgirls. Vinny has to go! The litany of coaches coach the hand that is dealt. We need a GM with a keen eye for talent. We hit here and there but mostly miss and put ourselves in poor cap position. Yes we're spoiled because we expect Superbowls and any winning organization shouldn't settle for anything less. I love my Skins but how long will I be frustrated or teased year after year. FIRE VINNY and get a real Football GM with a resume for building a team consistently see Ravens GM right up the road.

Posted by: anointedebony | December 19, 2008 7:30 AM | Report abuse

I think that when Jason Taylor was brought in he was the best fix to the situation with two defensive linemen out for the season. If's unfortunate that his contract was 8 million dollars but that's the reality of it. Did he play well? No. Was he hurt for most of the season? Yes. Should he be back next season? Not at 8 million dollars. If he comes back it should be at linebacker. At least he is honest enough to admit that he hasn't done what he was hired to do. That in itself is refreshing.
I am a life-long Redskins fan and will probably be until I die. You have to admit we have seen some painful years lately. Ever since Dan Snyder bought the team it has been like a rollercoaster ride. Not a lot of highs, except for maybe our hopes, but a lot of turns and down hill runs. It's time for him to hire a real GM to begin to build this team the right way. Why are they always tops in payroll and at the bottom in performance? If they already have the money, what do they have to play for? Make more of the contract money incentive based so that players have to earn it.
I think we are better this year than the last several even if we don't reach the playoffs. Zorn will be a good coach. Just don't let him go do it for another team. Am I the only one tired of seeing people leave the Redskins and then play great somewhere else? Give him a real chance. I'll stop even though I could rant all day. Hail!

Posted by: dszvkey | December 19, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

At least he's honest...this isn't the system for him. He's a good guy but he's a 3rd down rusher at this point in his career. Hail!!

Posted by: Smiley2 | December 19, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Skins fans have every right to be frustrated and impatient. It is not just about this one particular season, it's about the fact that team has not been consistently competitive since 1992 (the season that ended on the Rypien-Mitchell fumble in San Fran in the Divisional Round). We are not impatient for a Super Bowl, though that of course would be nice. We are just impatient for the team to join the ranks of the teams in the league that are competitive year in and year out and who at least have a realistic shot at the Super Bowl every few seasons. It is not asking a lot as a fan (especially a season ticket holder) to expect the organization to field a competitive team. It really isn't.

Posted by: NickFairfax | December 19, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

HALLELUJAH! Other people are starting to see the light! I have been harping for YEARS that Vinnie needs to go. The Post should print a scathing article every week about his ineptitude. He's the Norv Turner of the front office world...a complete imbecile. If anyone here performed their job like Cerrato does the we wouldn't have a job! Until he is gone the Redskins will always suck. He and Snyder have reduced the 'skins to the bottom of the NFL.
WHY DOESN'T THE POST DO SOMETHING! You know investigative reporting showing how Vinnie has crushed the "skins...?

Posted by: shanevasquez | December 19, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

This blog asks two questions:
1. Does the defensive scheme of the Redskins allow D-lineman to shine?
There is evidence that different concepts will allow players to perform better. Take Joey Porter in Miami. Last year he was a bust, now he is among the league leaders in sacks. Same team new coach.
2. Does Jason Taylor have trade value?
Can the Redskins get a draft pick back for Jason or do they just lose everything? It would be nice if they could trade him and get at least a 5th rounder back. I don't think they are going to change defensive philosophy.

Posted by: realityvision | December 19, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Wow Jason, your not worth 8 Mil. Looks like your old team figured that one out too. Now they have our number 2 pick. What did we get for 8mil and the pick? A dancing fool that is running to the bank laughing at the front office. This DOG make be able to hunt but its not on the football field. Just watch this guy effort. He does the old Bruce Smith pass rush by running away for the offensive lineman and looping way above the QB. He doesn't want to play football. I didn't hear him say that he was giving any of the money that he didn't earn back. Wonder why? Another great deal. Hey Vinny, I think you can get Deon back, he will take more of your money again or you can go after Bruce Smith, he can teach Jason how to rush to the bank to cash your checks. What a joke this team has become.

Posted by: mike1ad | December 21, 2008 1:02 AM | Report abuse