Portis Discusses Portis-Zorn, Practice, Beer

Portis addressing the media, on less happy days. (By Preston Keres - TWP)

Clinton Portis was happy, upbeat, and cracking jokes for the whole five minutes he addressed the media today, and Jim Zorn later said he thought Portis had acted medium throughout the whole ordeal. Portis, meantime, said "I'm not the voice of reason," which was probably the highlight. Either that, or when he offered to buy the first round for the media contingent.

I also asked Zorn whether he heard the entire Portis interview. "Oh, I got the transcript," he said. "Oh yeah. [PR man Zack Bolno] brought the transcript in. It was interesting. I was just glad he thought I was a genius."

While Zorn was passionate and philosophical and serious in his lengthy remarks, Portis mostly just made jokes. He seemed as cheerful as he's been in weeks. Some highlights.

On whether he caused a distraction: "Uh, a distraction from what? We've done lost four out of our last five games, so if it's a distraction, what else can we do? We can't do nothing but win, now."

On what he was hoping to accomplish: "I wasn't hoping to accomplish nothing. It was something on my chest that I needed to get off, and I did. So now that was yesterday, today I'm at work, we're getting ready to play the Cincinnati Bengals."

On whether other players agree with him: "I can't speak for other guys. I know how I felt, I spoke on how I was feeling. I didn't speak for nobody else, I'm not the voice of the team, I'm not the voice of reason. I spoke for myself."

On whether he wished they had just talked face-to-face on Monday: "Yeah, then I wouldn't be up here answering this to y'all. But at the same time, he said what he had to say and I understand his point, and where he was coming from. And I tried to get him to understand. I've been calling him a genius all year. You know, all of the sudden it make headlines, 'Our Coach a Genius.' I've been told y'all he's smart."

On his talk of severing ties: "We're not gonna sever ties. You know, I'm a Washington Redskin. You know, I love Mr. Snyder, Mr. Snyder love me, that's my man. You know, he kept me around, him and Vinny. Coach got an appreciation from for me. I think yesterday it was just aggravation, losing four games, everybody want to win. You know, we both got egos, so I should have said it to him....Understand, I'm a Washington Redskin. Before this turns into a whole 'nother 'Clinton Portis Want Out of Washington,' I love [the] Washington, D.C. area. I love this DMV or whatever you want to call it. Me and Obama got big plans for the next four years, so I'll be here."

On his mouth: "I just speak my mind, bro. And everybody around here, don't make it like it's a big thing. I'm gonna speak my mind, so it's gonna cause trouble every now and then."

On what his teammates have said to him: "A lot of them think I'm crazy. Nothing really. A lot of guys laughed about the situation and were like, 'Boy, you're crazy.' That's it."

On whether he feels less stressed today: "Any time you get something off your chest that you need to get off your chest, any man right here can vouch, when you get it off your chest, you feel less stressed. I feel less stressed, I feel good, I'm smiling. Hey. Beers on me, if y'all feel like it."

By Jon DeNunzio  |  December 10, 2008; 3:23 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skins Discuss Portis-Zorn, With Humor
Next: Jason Fabini Was a Movie Star

Comments

Clinton being Clinton? Why is it some people are never held accountable for the things they do?

Posted by: davekempson | December 10, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

When your pockets straight, magic can happen.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | December 10, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

End of story?

Posted by: alex35332 | December 10, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm intrigued by this "beers on me" line ... does that ONLY include the guys who were in the room?

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

We're not the running table, so more ESPN-worthy quotes to follow I'm sure.

Posted by: ewoldtk | December 10, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

My blog-shortened attention span is satisfied that this story has come to a close now, 24 hours after it started.

Posted by: ThisGuy | December 10, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm wondering the same thing, sween.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 10, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what DMV he goes to, all the ones in Arlington suck.

Posted by: mike8 | December 10, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Pseudo controversy if there ever was one.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 10, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Less Portis, more pith.

Posted by: fitzfacts | December 10, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what DMV he goes to, all the ones in Arlington suck.

Posted by: mike8 | December 10, 2008 4:26 PM

Dude, DMV stands for DC, MD, and VA.

Here - have a clue.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 10, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

"I've been calling him a genius all year. You know, all of the sudden it make headlines, 'Our Coach a Genius.' I've been told y'all he's smart."

Swag full tilt, pockets straight!

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | December 10, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Ummm...Clinton...

Where are we meeting for Beers??

Posted by: jmicrodoc | December 10, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

RE: davekempson
Sir - What did you mean "Clinton being Clinton"?, and "why is it some people are never held accountable for the things they do"?
What should he be held accountable for? For calling out the head coach after the head coach made him the scapegoat when asked why his 1500-yd workhouse was on the bench the bulk of the 2nd half?! You people are a joke!
Zorn's lazy a** didn't have his playbook completed and ready to distribute to players until a couple days prior to training camp (and he used all of Gibbs running plays)?!!!

Posted by: delfranklin4 | December 10, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is missing the whole problem. Portis is not the problem, the problem is we have a crappy quarterback. Jason Campbell SUCKS!!! He is just another Gus Frerotte or a Sage Rosefels. His future is being a journeyman. He has never shown one moment of brilliance, he's slow to find recievers, locks down on 1 reciever and is an expert at the 5 yard pass. Either of our backups could do a better job. This same thing happened last year, poor Campbell has no time to throw the ball, in comes Collins, he throws 4-5 passes downfield and suddenly he has all the time in the world in the pocket. Zorn is getting upset with the wrong person. Or maybe the Danny likes Campbell and Zorn can't do anything about it. It Stinks!!!

Posted by: sneezedoc1 | December 10, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or is it completely ridiculous that Clinton Portis can not speak English correctly? I counted 13 different grammatical errors in his quotes above. Now I know that when you transcribe a conversation it often doesn't look right on paper. But it is crazy how horrible his English is. I don't see Portis having a career in television after his playing days are over.

Posted by: skinsfan8 | December 10, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

dude - he didn't go the U to study 19th century English literature

Posted by: dcburgh | December 10, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Great reading of sarcasm, RedDMV. I always knew you were a blowhard, I'm now tuned into your density.

Posted by: mike8 | December 10, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

***
dude - he didn't go the U to study 19th century English literature
***

Yes, but he should have learned 21st century spoken English.

Posted by: skinsfan8 | December 11, 2008 7:41 AM | Report abuse