Portis vs. Zorn, the Quotes [Updated]

Walking off the field. (By Preston Keres - TWP)

So we officially have a chemistry problem. Clinton Portis unloaded on Jim Zorn during today's John Thompson Show appearance, over and over again. He swore, he suggested maybe he should go on the injured reserve, he offered to become a cheerleader, and he said this, when asked what adjustments should be made.

"We got a genius for a head coach, I don't know, I'm sure he on top of things. He's got everything figured out. Hey, that's up to him. All I can do is when he calls a play is go out and try to execute to the best of my ability."

And then later, on the big picture, he had this to say:

"I don't know where it went wrong, all I know is it's going wrong. So, you know, maybe I'm the problem. Maybe I'm the problem since I don't practice, since I'm the only person that don't practice and come out and play and try to give it what I've got, maybe I'm the problem. So I might need to be on IR."

Zorn's response, an hour later, to Portis's claims that he was benched?

"Well, any time you don't go in, that's the way you feel," Zorn said. "And he is a big part of our offense and he's sitting on the bench, he's got to feel like he's benched, I don't blame him for that."

And Zorn on the IR question: "No, I think he's gotten himself healthy, I think he felt a lot better after this game and I'm looking forward to having him out there on every snap, practicing [and] getting ready for the Cincinnati Bengals so we can use him as our every down back."

And lastly, Zorn on the practice issue: "It wasn't that we weren't getting the running ability, he was doing great things, his effort was high. He would tell you this and I agree with him wholeheartedly, that when he is playing the game he's giving you his best effort and I've said this over and over again, he's very wicked on the playing field, he's what you want....Each week I felt like in certain parts of the game he was getting out on routes but it wasn't exact and quick. And I thought, 'ok here's an opportunity for us to get Ladell in, who HAS practiced.' And he knows it just because he's rehearsed it and rehearsed it. I think [Portis is] a confident player and he would believe he can do it without reps, I just made the decision not to give him that chance.

More Portis quotes:

On his coaches: "If my coaches don't feel like I can get it done, put me on the sidelines. You feel like I can help this team, put me on the field, and that's all I've got to say about it....I don't have to confront them. They know what they've got. They know what's standing on the sideline. Five weeks ago, three weeks ago, four weeks ago when I'm sitting first in the NFL and all of the sudden we don't run the ball no more? I'm hurt, and that's why we ain't running it? Cmon. You [kidding] me?"

On the lines of communication: "It ain't lack of communication with me because that's some BS to go out and say I don't know what's going on. When have I missed a meeting? Let me start missing meetings. Let me not come out and practice, let me sit my ass in the training room if I don't know what's going on. What am I standing outside for?"

On being benched: "You know, London Fletcher played in the game and didn't practice all week. All of the sudden it gets aggravating to [see me] standing on the sideline and you see me step into something and pick it up and understand what's going on. I haven't missed a meeting, I haven't missed a practice. I'm outside, I hear everything everybody else hears. It kind of shocked me too, but hey that's what the man said. You go back and watch film, I guarantee you won't see me make no mistakes. Maybe he's watching a different film than me."

On his understanding of the situation: "If it's an issue with me, you tell me that. Outside of Jim Zorn and the coaches on that team and maybe the quarterbacks, I guarantee you I know our system better than anybody else, I guarantee when we go over blitz pickups I don't miss my man. I don't know what it is, bro. If anybody got a problem with me, they need to talk to me. I don't know whats going on."

On his plans: "I'm gonna go out there and try to make sure I don't get hurt and I'll make sure I get out in every pass route. If my man ain't coming, I ain't chipping nobody, I ain't doing nothing I ain't supposed to do. I'm gonna get out in my pass route and that's where I'll be. If somebody else give up a sack or anything else, that's on them."

On communication: "Hey, they don't tell me nothing. They don't have to answer to me bro. One day it's fun, it's nice, you smile, you happy for me, you appreciate the way I play on the field, you just wish I would practice. If I could practice, I'd practice. If my injuries weren't legit than the training room wouldn't hold me out, they'd have me on the field. I think people get caught up into the conversation of the media but then tell you not to get caught up into the conversation....

"I go out there and give it everything I've got. If I can run through the week I'd practice, if I can't then I ain't. And I'm not gonna force myself to go onto a field and do something crazy, and then all of the sudden I'm out. What I need to be around for is Sundays and that's what I try to be around for. So I mean, if you've got a problem with me not practicing and can't do it that way, maybe you feel like you need to sever ties, split ties with me? Split ties with me. But don't sit here and throw me out like I don't pay attention, like I don't know what's going on, like I'm making mistakes, I'm the problem. You know, so, it is what it is, bro."

On his blocking assignments: "You know, one day it's chip on your way out, then if you don't chip and you get out and the quarterback gets sacked it's like, 'Oh, you need to help this man out.' So they don't know what they want. They want you to chip, they want you to block, Jason's on his ass all game long, you're trying to stay in and help, and then it's, 'Oh, you should have gone out, they was coming to you.'

"I've been wide open, they don't come to me. But then he over there and came free and he done got the wind knocked out of him from getting sacked and getting hit in the back, then it's, 'Aw man you've got to help out, you've got to chip.' So you know, I don't think they know what they want me to do. You know, when things going good you're getting praised. I don't know if people getting aggravated with me getting attention. I don't know what it is."

On how he'd like to be used: "Hey, bro, it ain't rocket science how to use me. They can figure that out. If they want to put the ball in my hands I can try to help the team win. They don't I'll try to do whatever I can. If I need to cheer Ladell on, I'll cheer Ladell on. I'm not gonna be bitter about the situation. I think Ladell went int and made some big plays. When he came off to the sideline I was the first one sitting there to talk with him about what I seen, which wasn't much, but I think he did a hell of a job."

On his health: "I'm fine. I'm totally healthy after not playing against Baltimore. So the good thing about it is I'll be at practice tomorrow."

(I changed the headline of this item. It used to read "Portis Smashes Zorn." I was excited when I typed that, and it was over the top. I do think Portis sent some unusually caustic barbs in his head coach's direction, and I think the text reflects that, especially the oozing with sarcasm "genius" bit. I'd encourage you to listen and decide for yourself.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 9, 2008; 3:43 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Miss Virginia Takes On the Caps
Next: Cowherd Piles on Redskins

Comments

"it's the most, wonderful tiiiimmmmme of the yeeearrr..."

Posted by: 3tripleiii | December 9, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Steinz, CP said all that? You've got to be &h*tting me.

Posted by: rdpinva | December 9, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I think its safe to say this team has gone from medium-rare to well done.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | December 9, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Wow

Posted by: JohnJr1 | December 9, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Heck yeah, it's about time!!!! Zorn makes all sorts of execution excuses but should draw up plays that don't call for perfect execution like Cam Cameron. You've got to work within your means until you've proven you can handle error free football like the '07 pre-superbowl Pats.

Zorn wanting Portis to practice is the dumbest thing i've ever heard. If Portis is the problem with the skins then it's officially time to fire Zorn. He needs to take accountability for his inability to dial up creative aggressive REALISTIC plays for 60 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bosa_18 | December 9, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why he was benched. He's obviously the best option we have whether he practices or not.

I think Zorn is in panic mode right now. Hopefully he'll turn into a great head coach, but right now we need him to right this ship to get into the playoffs.

Posted by: Mustachio | December 9, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Jim Zorn, have you lost your damn mind?

-David Alan Grier

Posted by: inchesfromyourface | December 9, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh...this is indeed the time of year when us redskins fans start to bring the crazy. It always coincides with when the wheels truly fall off.

It's great to be a skins fan!

Posted by: pipkin42 | December 9, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I'll repeat: I almost never side with players like this, but this situation merits an exception.

Posted by: drischord | December 9, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Earlier today, when I read that Zorn says Portis needs to practice, Portis issued a calm, relatively selfless-sounding response. I concluded that Zorn was perhaps not losing the team after all.

Yeah, I don't think that anymore.

Posted by: bwhoover | December 9, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

At least it's not a QB controversy.

Posted by: joemktg1 | December 9, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

How many teams have won championships when the inmates run the asylum? Jock-sniffing owners can afford to undermine their coaches when the amount of money they make is not affected one iota by the team's record.

Free Agency is going to ruin the NFL the same way it did the NBA.

Posted by: rdpinva | December 9, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

7-9

Posted by: tha_prophet | December 9, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Why does Zorn protect Jason Candle and not Portis? It's obvious to me that Jason is not able to make reads quickly enough, and his release is atrociously slow.

Posted by: Luvemorleave | December 9, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Coach Zorn seems to be a little anal when it comes to precision and execution. Some of the most best plays in the game are improvisations and creativity after all heck breaks loose. Rookie Coach making a rookie mistake. Never piss off your best player on any kind of sports team. Especially one who plays his a$$ off every weekend.

Posted by: SPUD2 | December 9, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

This is great to watch, the Redskins soap opera. I love seeing this franchise in confusion. Its better than TV at times.

Posted by: Cackalacky2 | December 9, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis is a very talented player who is injury prone and whines too much. Every year Portis has some sort of boo-boo he’s crying about Zorn finally called him out.

Posted by: spk1 | December 9, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Anyone want a ticket to the Eagles game? :-/

Posted by: Kev29 | December 9, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis is right. Zorn is an inexperienced coach who still does not know how to handle a NFL team. Clinton Portis is a veteran who plays hard on every down. I am not sure what's going to happen to the Skins'now.

Posted by: bscoleman | December 9, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Trade him. Who needs whiners. Running backs are a dime a dozen. Look at Denver and Carolina.

Posted by: interactingdc | December 9, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Portis' receiving stats dwarfed Betts' receiving stats. Neither was getting much accomplished in the running game. I dunno. Seems like the time of year to keep a body's mouth shut.

Portis being Portis is starting to sound like Shockey being Shockey. Great player, exhausting attitude.

Posted by: dcsween | December 9, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I do not what is stupider: Clinton Portis going off on a head coach's decision to play Ladell Betts in lieu of himself (regardless of whether that is correct, it's the coach's prerogative) or Jim Zorn (no offense to Betts) thinking Betts is the better option at back during the Raven's game just because he practiced last week.

Both of these individuals need to learn to communicate much, much, much better as this could quickly become very cancerous and will kill this time in the long term.

Posted by: ferventfan74 | December 9, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I dig Portis. But I noticed in his tirade and in previous comments, he's a stat watcher. He praised himself for leading the league a while back in rushing. How about winning and just winning? He SHOULD show up to practice and Campbell SHOULD be given the bench. 7-9 unfortunately.

Posted by: tdpillo123 | December 9, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Meh, this will blow over.

What will not blow over, however, are the whispers of Zorn losing it. It's gut check time Z-man.

Posted by: ThisGuy | December 9, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Portis is absolutely correct. They have piss poor pass protection. It reminds me of the Steve Spurrier run and shoot BS. His system didn't work in the pros and Zorn's West Coast offense doesn't work on the East Coast. It's not working for that team in the other Washington either. Check out the Seahawks schedule.

The Ravens didn't practice with the Redskins last week and they knew all the plays. So why did Portis have to practice? We all know the plays.

If the Ravens were blitzing on every play, why wouldn't he stay in to protect Jason? They were on our side of the line all night and Portis is a punishing blocker. If he wasn't going to get the ball, why not put in Sellers and punish their defenders like McLain punished us. Betts is a light weight. He's a good change of pace when the O line is healthy. Since the O line was going down like an old Mary J Blige song, why not have Sellers in the backfield to run, block or catch balls? We needed beef and brawn in the backfield not some soft chip and run nonsense.

Zorn has the Redskins playing soft and that is unacceptable.

Posted by: Carole5520 | December 9, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Clinton has no filter between his brain and his vocal chords - that's why he's so entertaining.

Posted by: nativedc | December 9, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

CP shouldn't have aired it out like this. Why fan the flames. Everyone knows his benching was questionable. He has nothing to gain, and only hurts the team.

Posted by: John_Keats | December 9, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

interactingdc: THANK YOU. RB's are a dime a dozen, and there will be quite a few FRESH legs in this years draft: Moreno, Wells, McCoy, etc.

Just look at Jonathan Stewart.

Portis needs to shut his yap. He has always been a selfish player, who cares about stats. Thats why he is mad, is because he is not "leading the league" anymore. He wasnt complaining last month when he was # 1 was he? Get him the F outta here.

Posted by: cj658 | December 9, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Sooner or later the Skins will have their day in the sun - but not this year. Portis is the best player on their team, but they have no offensive line and the secondary is soft, like corn flakes that have been in the bowl too long.

It's a good thing I'm a Giants fan.

Thanks for the two W's.

Posted by: ivoryjay | December 9, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Portis is a very talented man, but his morals are in the toilet. I've known this since he laughed about Michael Vick's dogfighting, saying, "I don't know what the big deal is, they're HIS dogs" as though that gave Vick the right to be a cruel executioner. Giggling the whole time as though it were funny. His momma didn't teach him some things she should have, or else he's forgotten his lessons.

It is ruefully that I admit that he is probably the most talented player on the team, but I wish his ethics and behavior lived up to his talent. Sometimes talent's not enough to make it worth it. We're losing anyway, maybe we need to let his bad attitude take a walk out of here.

Posted by: lilifreak | December 9, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

One of them will be gone next year. It won't be Zorn. Deal with it.

In any case, I'm grateful that I didn't have to hear this tantrum. This is a grown man? hard to believe.

Posted by: Sweetback | December 9, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Clinton - shut your hole.

10-6

Posted by: chjoer | December 9, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Big deal. I take the whole thing medium.

Posted by: justsayin | December 9, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I think the Redskins and Wizards are both good, healthy franchises with great executives, managers, and coaches.

People who spend thousands of dollars on Redskins and Wizards tickets are very wise indeed. I respect their insight and good judgment.

Posted by: WisdomVision | December 9, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Portis: shut up and run/chip/catch, whatever.

Zorn: quit having JC call audibles at the line. Whatever adjustments you are trying to make aren't working. Snap the ball on the one count...develop an offensive rythm.
Delaying the snap builds the defensive intensity/makes the o-line jumpy.

Posted by: sunnyman1 | December 9, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

what a sensationalized title... This rant isn't different than any other CP rant, they just happened to have lost the past 4 of 5 games to teams that outplayed them. meh.

Posted by: skinschickindenver | December 9, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

So the fairweathered fan love fest of Jim Zorn is over eh? Toast of the town at 6-2, scapegoat at 7-6....unreal.

The Skins have their own version of T.O. in Portis, a big mouthed crybaby. Last week Portis was cryin that he hurt and was gettin old, this week he is fine, which is it??

Interesting comment on 980 yesterday, "it don't matter if the Skins get into the playoffs or not.....they can't beat anyone anyway once there"

Posted by: Davo61 | December 9, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Wow that almost sounds like a T.O. interview. makes ya think??????

Posted by: youngs24 | December 9, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Yes, you guys can ask the 'best player on the team to shut up' and after he does; you'll still have that Synder to Zorn to Campbell no TD team; Other rookie coaches and also first year QB (see Baltimore) can think and move at the same time. So no more from Portis and you get knowing from anyone else

Posted by: aypub | December 9, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Clinton: shut the heck up.

Zorn: good luck with that.

The Danny: this team needs stability long-term. If you want to sh*tcan anyone, how about the Vinny?

Joe the Fan: keep your shirt on. Campbell and Zorn will get this thing worked out. Portis is a great player, but this type of crap wrecks teams.

Posted by: live1 | December 9, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

If all portis cared about was stats. Why would he be the best blocking running back? What stat does he have when he sacrifices his body to block someone who is bigger than him running at full speed. Some of you guys make no sense when you say things like that. If you watch the game it's obvious he plays about as hard if not the hardest of ANYONE on the team.

Haters get lost.

Posted by: kld34 | December 9, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

I hear venting, and frustration, and deflection of blame. But "smashes Zorn"? Maybe there's something in the tone one has to hear that calls for describing it as "smashes"? Otherwise this entire blog seems a tad irresponsible and sensationalized. Sometimes it seems like reporters can't wait to whip up some tempest like this.

Posted by: rfjh1 | December 9, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Portis = Cancer. He and Arenas are the same dude. I say run him out of town.

Posted by: astrober1 | December 9, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

It must be December, and the Redskins must be losing. Heard this song before, from LaVar. The difference is Portis is a proven talent, LaVar was flash in the pan. It's just too bad Portis uses the media to make his point instead of 'manning up' with his coach in a private meeting. Portis is 'talking out of school', and it reflects poorly on him.

Posted by: bfjam | December 9, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I like the heck out of CP but it seems to me that he is taking it personal when he shouldn't be.
CP says he is not gonna be bitter about the situation? He sounds pretty bitter to me.
I don't think there is a single head coach in all of the NFL and College ball that likes his starting RB not practicing week after week. Regardless, I think CP is bitter about it and just needs to , well, just be CP. Practice when you feel fit and on game day, give it all you got both on the field or on the bench.

Posted by: drumsalot | December 9, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

HAH! I knew it....its all falling to place! Bill Cowher here in 2009! Snyder had this planned all along.

Posted by: jcromero01 | December 9, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

First thing I have a problem with is Snyder empowering Portis or any other player for that matter. To the extent that has been shown to Portis.

Mr.Cooke never did that, it undermines the coaches.

There is two problems that can arise from doing that.
1. The player becomes self will run riot as in the case we have here with Portis.
2. No decent coach will ever want to coach this team if he knows a player has more to say than the coach.

So anyone that thinks, that Bill Cowher would want to come here and coach are simply delusional.

As for portis, last week he made the statement that everything hurts except his hands. Well they must hurt to, or why else did he fumble the ball and cost the team a touchdown ?
Portis also claims you can look at the film and you wont find any mistakes hes made. Well here is two of them,In one week.
1.I revert back to the fumble, that cost the team a touch down.
2. He, Portis is openly airing his issues, with the head coach, that has now reached the national media.

In closing, I could on and on, but these are a few things I see worng with both the owner and Portis.
Portis is the punk kid,, with the big bad friend (Snyder)

Clinton Run the ball, and not your mouth. Your ether part of the problem or part of the solution.
We haven't won with you, and your NO JOHN RIGGINS!!!!!!! AND SNYDER IS NO, JACK KENT COOKE!!!!

Posted by: dashriprock | December 9, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

There is always a tug-of-war between the so-called Star Player and their coaches. It is the nature of sports I think. Players always think that they know everything. Ala, Theiseman, Marino, Bradshaw, and only much later do they realize that they are not as smart about sports as their friends have led them to believe. To the extent that you can managed the Star Player, the team does well.

For Portis, it is difficult trying to wear two hats at once, that is, one as player, the other as a coach. He should wait until he retires to try to coach, and in the meantime, let the coaches coach. It does the team little good for him to always express dissatisfaction with the coaching staff, whether it is Zorn or Joe Gibbs.

As a fan, I am not certain that Portis is the right man for the job. The young guy who they cut, Mason, seemed to be a better running back.

No one is indispensable, a lesson well worth remembering.

Posted by: dustycowboy2004 | December 9, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I agree, he didn't "smash Zorn"..That's just editors trying to sell papers..He may have gotten a little loopy on some pain pills and talked some sh*t, but everybody's frustrated at the team's performance right now, whaddya expect?? Here's a top NFL running back that is so competitive he'd sacrifice his body for one game for the team. We 'Skins fans have seen a lot of running backs burned up before their time and appreciate Zorn using some restraint to save Portis for the long haul..His desire is appreciated , though, and the team would be undefeated if the whole squad had his drive..But watch the Percodans before doing interviews, Clinton..

Posted by: frak | December 9, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Wait a minute here. John Riggins missed practice regularly, particularly late in the season, after getting beat up Sunday after Sunday. I remember that occasionally he checked into the hospital and was in traction after games.I don't remember anyone getting pi$$ed at Riggo.
CP is not only the best WE GOT, he is one of the best. I don't remember anyone pass blocking from the RB position as well as he does.

Posted by: TysonsTom | December 9, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Paging the DC version of Terrell Owens...paging Mr. Portis-Owens. He is the biggest cry baby on the planet. And talk about sensitive, good grief, release this diva and move on!

Posted by: MPNangle | December 9, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Welcome finally to the wonderful world of Portis, folks. - Denver breathed a HUGE sigh of relief when they traded him for Champ Bailey. No more ego, no more locker-room cancer - no drama - no future salary whining / disputes.

It only took Shanahan a couple of seasons to see he had a diva on his hands. What took the Redskins so long?

Oh, and a resident "genius" too: let me refresh my memory - (Portis, per Vick) - " ... I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not, but it's his property, it's his dog, - If that's what he wants to do, do it. I think people should mind their business. It can't be too bad of a crime!" - http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2878099

- Trade Portis asap while he's still worth something. We can deal with Zorn later.

Posted by: davequ | December 9, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Zorn was brought in to develop Campbell, who is a product of a big-time (Auburn) program. Campbell is still-- STILL -- behind rookies like Matt Ryan (BC) and Flacco (Delaware!), so that tells you how effective Zorn is. He can't "coach 'em up". Meanwhile, the praise he got when he got in Portis' face (mistakenly, as it turned out) obviously went to his head.

Zorn was a mediocre QB, a cut or two above Sean Salisbury, that's it. Steve Largent's in the HOF, not Zorn. And he's a yahoo as a coach. He has some positive attributes, but on the whole, it's a question of when, not if, he's shown the door. We've all had a boss like him, and we've known what a jerk he was.

PS He was also a scab.

Posted by: gbooksdc | December 9, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Nice comment concerning Riggins....... and where does Portis keep his Super Bowl Championship Ring(s)?

He is talented (no doubt) but what has he accomplished in the NFL? Do they give out an award for "Early Season Rushing Champion".

I guess that would be a nice touch out at Redskins Park in the showcase next to all of Danny's Lombardi Trophy's.

Posted by: bzzzz | December 9, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

I say you play Portis until he bleeds with arms and legs dangling! And if he purposely fumbles, I say you play him some more just to show him who is the player and who is the coach. Even though I do not like Zorn, he has to regain his respect with the other players some how. Also, I think Portis has too much pride not to do the best he can on the field, so he will actually play to the best of his ability when he is in. That is what Zorn has to understand, but he is too caught up with his own sh!t now!

Posted by: JohnWWW | December 9, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

TysonTom,

I guess my point is this,

Riggins is in the HOF.
Won a super bowl.
Was the MVP in that super bowl.
Won 2 NFC championships.
was voted in the NFL all decade team.
11,352 rushing yards.
3.9 rush avg.
2,090 receiving yards.
A total of 13,442 yards.
116 TD'S, 12 in the post season.
Rushed for a 1,000 yards 5 times.
Rushed for 100, yards 35 times 6x in the post season.
2nd player to rush over 100 TDs in the NFL, Jim Brown being the other.
Played 14 seasons.

So yes you are right, Riggins did not practice in the twilight of his career. Portis is not in the twilight of his career.

So I will stand by my comment, Clinton Portis is No John Riggins, and he never will be.

Moreover, Riggins never bad mouth his coaches in public like Portis has.

But I guess you do agree with me, that it was Snyder's stupidity that has caused this debockle, by empowering a player the way he has Portis.

Posted by: dashriprock | December 9, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Portis didn't fumble the ball on sunday. It was stripped out of his hands. He wasn't careless with it or anything. And if the rest of the team would have been backing him up they would have been ther for the recovery.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | December 9, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I think Gibbs might have broke it once for Portis but, he had a strict "no practice, no play" rule. You have to figure it has more to do with the disappointment of such dramatic down turn to the season.

There are aspects to the Redskins running game: like pulling guards and trying to mob up the blockers. Even with the success they've had running it's not quite dominant. They don't straight up, manhandle the defenses into opening holes. And of course Portis doesn't carry def. lineman 4 extra yards. But he is good at what he does.

I liked seeing Sellers run the ball. Individually I'd hope he would maintain himself at the most explosive, trimed down, high speed goal line machine he can be. And not become complacent, like becoming the dedicated pulling guard. There were times he was the go-to red zone target. So yah, seeing him and Cooley getting opportunities to run over DBs, for me is positive.

But I can't help thinking that every 3-4 defense we've faced we should have run more than pass. A common pattern for them is to have 1 strong defensive lineman and 6 linebackers. They are also more complicated to pass protect against. So why are the Skins doing the opposite of what logic would dictate? I think some of it is falling behind early combined with a predictable short pass game. In some ways, you'd want to go to a 3-4 to protect a lead. You've got to shove it down their throat or be able to bomb with some regularity.

Posted by: chavez66 | December 9, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Makes you long for the days of the (first) Gibbs era, when this sort of thing NEVER happened. Players knew how good they had it in DC, Gibbs kept them acting like good citizens in public...and the Skins won.

Posted by: jonfromcali | December 9, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Not to worry, Gibbs will come out of retirement and restore order.

No problem.

The JT show LOVES Portis. He's been money for them every time.

Posted by: tslats | December 9, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

"Yeah, I agree, he didn't 'smash Zorn'..That's just editors trying to sell papers.." frak, can you explain to me how a blog entry helps sell more newspapers?

On another note, I have Clinton Portis on my fantasy football team and I've been no. 1 all season long because of his stats. His comments are the type of things he should NOT be doing right now, especially if they're still trying to make the playoffs. If he's not careful, he may be benched, and then the Skins, along with me, will be screwed the rest of the season. My hope is that Jim Zorn doesn't act like the Vikings head coach, Brad Childress, and either bench or cut players for making critical comments about what's going on.

Posted by: cags777 | December 9, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Zorn was just saving Portis for the easy games coming up.didn't want him hurt from that Ravens defense. Portis should thank him.also some of Portis english isn't too good for a college grad.Like he says ,I don't make no mistakes.Should get plenty of yardage this week against a weak team.Campbell will be great again this week too.

Posted by: dcg326 | December 9, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

I heard the interview "Live" and Portis was NOT whinning. You CANNOT discern tone, inflection and sensitivity from WORDS ON THE PAGE!
In the interview Portis also said that if asked he'd, "...pick up the POM POMS and help the Redskin cheerleaders!"
During the Ravens game Captain Obvious AKA John Madden said if Portis wasn't in the game then he HAD TO BE HURT! Even Madden couldn't believe that JIM ZORN would BENCH Portis. And now we find out that he was benched because he didn't know the WHO TO BLOCK OR WHAT ROUTES TO RUN!
ARE YOU KIDDIN' ME!
Wait a minute, why am I ranting? My team is the
9-4 PLAYOFF BOUND BALTIMORE RAVENS!

Posted by: DudeCameron | December 9, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

HUGE thumbs up to Zorn for keeping his cool. If anyone saw that game, you could see that Portis was hurting. Not only is Zorn physically protecting Clinton, the coach is also protecting Portis from Portis' own loud mouth.

Posted by: mel_gibson_ | December 9, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

These guys are such babies! I thought they were professional athletes. Good grief. Check out gloomboom.com

Posted by: GloomBoomDotcom | December 9, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

my impression was the benching was the equivalent of zorn throwing in the towel with the added benefit of motivating portis for the next three games. in watching the first half, i didn't think the skins had any shot against baltimore's defense--why waste portis then??

Posted by: gpo5e | December 9, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Let's give kudos to all who have earned them on this Skins team, okay. This team has done the best it can with what it has, gone as far as it can, in other words; WE DONE HIT THE WALL BABY!! Coach JZ had his moments calling plays to keeping defenses off balance earlier in the season but, the offense has become too predictable and I might add "dead". CP is still capable of dominating as a runner. He is a guy who is capable of not praticing and still be productive on game day. (Anybody recall a guy named John Riggins) The problem I have with CP is that sometimes his mouth gets in front of his brain, I.E., mouth running at mach 2 speed but, brain still at the starting block. The Skins' problems transcends both JZ and CP and they are starting to manifest themselves big time. I'm hoping that some of our problems will be addressed in this upcoming draft. In comparing our team to our NFC east opponents, the Skins look like they don't even have a scouting department, at least not an effective one. Hail!!!

Posted by: renaw9 | December 9, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Carole5520 The best comment yet. Portis is not the problem, even though his mouth is. The problem is, what ever happened to Billy Mc Mullen the 6'4", sure hands wide receiver from the preseason. He wasn't flashy but he was a damn good posession receiver. What also happened to the little bowling ball running back that was averaging like 5ypc MARCUS MASON. This topic wouldn't even be relevant because we would now be raving about his performance in place of Portis nursing his injuries.
If I was the head coach I would be running Sellers/Portis more often like the Tampa Bay Bucs did in rout to their Super Bowl. Max protect Campbell with 7 blockers. Stop this dumb West Coast, dink and dunk offense. Play action suits our personnel better. Just look at Cooley, hello! Throw the ball deep and smash mouth running. Who wants to really square up with 264lbs of Mike Sellers once he gets in full stride.

To be honest with you all, Campbell is a good quarterback, but right now he is rattled, because of all the sacks. Its a combination of pressure, not stepping up in the pocket and a slow release why this offense isnt moving. Yes the o-line is banged up and receivers arent producing but this offense doesn't maximize Campbell's strengths. Campbell is a great medium to deep ball quarteback if you give him time in the pocket. Unfortunately with this team "time in the pocket" is not practical, so Z-Man, the whole league has the book out on you. You can either change your stubborn offense, or your personnel. I hate to say this but, this offense WOULD THRIVE, and yes you heard it from me first, if HE WOULD PUT COLT BRENNAN IN THE GAME. I still love and respect Campbell because he has had to learn a different offense every year which is not easy, its like changing professions every year for the working man. Unfortunately this is a CUT-THROAT league, and CITY, NFL Not For Long. With Colt Brennans college history, and preseason stats, he is undoubtedly the better suited man for the West Coast Offense. It is what it is. I would put money on that statement. In takers?

Posted by: abysmalsportswear | December 9, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

I don't care how much effort Portis gives:

HE is part of the problem, it aint Jason Campbell...

It's Samuels, Jansen, Portis, Moss...guys running around celebrating cause they earn the big money, but they aint won S***.

I, for one, am tired of these prima donnas.

You cant tell me that we got the same sort of slack, "dont question me" attitude under Gibbs and Zorn and say it's the coach.

The players are soft. Portis' head is so big it's a wonder his helmet even fits.

Posted by: kreator6996 | December 9, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

If Zorn was saving CP for the remaining games, he should have made that clear before the start of the game. People get a clue. Zorn initially said on a post game interview that there was something between CP and Stump Mitchell. By the time it came down to the NFL mandated post game interview it was a different story. After CP got called for illegal motion he went to the sideline and Zorn and CP were shown jawing at each other. John Madden picked up on it and questioned why CP was not in the game if he was not hurt. Zorn should have been focused on winning the game at any cost. Not trying to save a player (which is a lie) or disciplining him as well. Zorn later said that it was because CP had not practiced and he was not chip blocking but instead taking on defenders fully. Basically Zorn was saying that CP was missing assignments because he did not practice to know them. Guys who did practice missed blocks regularly on Sunday. Zorn did not sit them down. Zorn is taking on the most popular, hardest working player on the team to show that he is charge. Typical actions of a control freak, a lot like Snyder. Zorn blames his players every week for the inadequacies of the offense. Never once has he blamed himself. CP is the heart and soul of the 'Skins. He should not have been benched because his coach had a moment. Not on a winnable game, not because he was protecting his QB (the line wasn't), not because he got flagged, but because his little coach had a tantrum and overreacted. It cost us the game.

Posted by: SPUD2 | December 9, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Well...I have been a fan of this team since before most of the players and some of the coaches were born...So, i have a comment or 2.
Mr. Portis is an incredible competitor, a throw back to an era when Men played this game for the Love of the Game and winning at it made any pains, mental and physical non-existent---Frustration can beat us all, and when you lose the Pain is Felt, all over.
Clinton is wise, if you read and understand his pain and frustration, it is over an offensive line that is patched together and cannot compete for 16, or even more than 8 games at a high level...It all starts there, the line MUST BE SOLID and SURE Always! If the guys named Samuels and Janson had ever panned out to be what they should have been when they were drafted---the rest comes together very well indeed...I have focused and watched there playing and wonder how in the world they ever made it at this level, not to mention being selected for pro-bowls they never deserved. Without a foundation you have no Home and must hope that luck will prevail, instead of steady skill,grit and the will to compete and win at a very high level. Jim Zorn and Mr. Portis will be a-ok, once or if an offensive line the likes of the best ever--the Hogs, is put together. You cannot play without players and you will never win consistantly, without winners. The O-LINE People...the 1 most important spot(s) on any Great team---will make the difference...i am tired of it too and hope you all will remember, that is the Place it all starts...Amen---where are you John R

Posted by: bruford | December 9, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Whoever said this "With Colt Brennans college history, and preseason stats, he is undoubtedly the better suited man for the West Coast Offense."

Timmy Chang, dude.

I am so SICK OF COLT BRENNAN TALK.
He played at f***ing Hawaii, the last threw quarterbacks there did awesome, too.
And they didnt last in the NFL.

Please, learn to read the internet or learn about the Game of Football.

This Colt brennan stuff has GOT TO GO.

Posted by: kreator6996 | December 9, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

The Skins loose 3 out of the last 4 games and guess what, we now got issues. Its the same tired game no matter what team it is. Definately nothing new and its the same tired story. I'm over it. Play when you're in and shutup when you're on the sidelines. I understand sometimes there's differences but I for one say enough is enough.

Posted by: MCermeno | December 9, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

This is all Joe Gibbs fault. He spoiled Portis and the offense still sucked. Portis fumbled the ball on the 2nd carry of the game. Stop whining and play football.

Posted by: BMACattack | December 9, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

From IvoryJay: Portis is the best player on their team, but they have no offensive line and the secondary is soft, like corn flakes that have been in the bowl too long.

Clearly you don't know what the hell you are talking about. Yeah our o-line has been poor at picking up exotic blitz schemes but clearly they are pretty damn good in the run game. But you must have lost your mind when it comes to our secondary. They are the backbone of our top five defense. You've got to be a damn idiot not to see that. Name one secondary in the league that can throw four legitimate starting corners on the field at any one time and then two hard-hitting sideline to sideline safeties.

Posted by: morrownd | December 9, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I think a televised debate is in order. 10-6, if CP and JZ can figure it out this week.

Posted by: ncredskins | December 9, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Bruford-
Jon Jansesn never made a pro bowl and he was drafted in the second round so I am not sure what you are alluding to about what he was supposed to live up to. But Samuels... The guy is widely considered one of the best three or four tackles in the league not sure where you were going with that either. You are right about the o-line, and d-line for that matter, being the foundation for a team. The Skins need to get younger at both.

Posted by: morrownd | December 9, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Seems like the Skins finally came to their senses and gave up on Erasmus James. Think that time and effort could have been better utilized elsewhere?

Posted by: renaw9 | December 9, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nativedc | December 9, 2008 5:25 PM

Clinton makes so much money he needs no filter between his brain and vocal chords.

If you make more money than the (nominal)person in charge, and have an jock-sniffing owner willing to throw his coach under the bus for you, why should you listen to your "boss"?

Snyder enables his "stars" because fans enable Synder financially.

Must be lots of fun to root for a poorly run organization that continues to turn a profit in spite of mediocre (at best) results.

Posted by: rdpinva | December 9, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the honeymoon's over.

Posted by: amhmd | December 9, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

"Zorn wanting Portis to practice is the dumbest thing i've ever heard. If Portis is the problem with the skins then it's officially time to fire Zorn."
"I almost never side with players on such issues, but Portis is absolutely right. He has a track record to prove it; Zorn does not."
"Portis is the best player on this team. He is the most popular athlete in Washington. If it's between him and the coach, I pick him and the coach can take a hike."
"Rookie Coach making a rookie mistake. Never piss off your best player on any kind of sports team."

Seems like we have a lot of people here who think that the players should make the determination if they need to or want to practice; a lot of people who think that the players should make the determination if players who don't practice should play or not; and a lot of people who think that the players should be able to make the decisions, especially if they're "the best player", or if the coach is a "rookie coach".

Well, maybe your best player isn't the smartest player; so why shouldn't the smartest player make the decisions? Or both of them, the best and the smartest? Or maybe the player with the most experience? Why don't the players simply let the quarterback, like on the school yards, make the decisions, and just forget about the coaching staff and the training programs.

Why, I wonder, don't these people simply suggest that Mr. Portis run the team? Or at least the offense. After all, they seem to want to let Mr. Portis do what he wants to do.

Sorry, but can you imagine Mr. Portis talking like this or expecting to play during the first Gibbs tenure? Or during an Allen or Lombardi tenure? Or, during a a Belichick tenure? Or a during a Coughlin tenure? Maybe Mr. Portis needs to let Mr. Zorn do what Mr. Zorn was hired to do: coach the team. After all, no one seemed to object to the coach, or the quarterback for that matter, the first eight games of the season.

Posted by: Dungarees | December 9, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Although CP does run his mouth to much Skins fans must accept the fact he has sacrificed salary wise for the Skins to get under the cap for years and cutting him or trading him is out of the question so Zorn pack you bags if you dont go 10-6.

Posted by: waterboard | December 9, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm...and the offensive coordinator for the Carolina Panthers is DAN HENNING (Gibbs 1.0) ?

In previous years we complained about a 'tired' and 'stale' offense, yet with a NEW OFFENSE AND THE SAME PLAYERS it's obviously not the system, BUT THE PLAYERS. All the elite, cold-weather, smash mouth teams in the league look EXACTLY like the 80's 'Skins, the difference being they have the PLAYERS TO MAKE IT WORK. Once again the buck stops at Snyderrato; if he wants to proclaim 'That's Redskin football!' then bring in the f@#$ing players to PLAY REDSKINS FOOTBALL.

Zorn for the last few games needs to junk his sissified offense and go 'heavy jumbo' and lots of play-action. I hate armchair quarterbacking, but the bottom line is adapting your system to match the talent you have.

As a Michigan Alum my biggest fear about RichRod is Michigan not continuing the tradition of big, nasty, smash-mouth HALL OF FAME offensive lineman (Reggie McKenzie, Dan Dierdorf, Tom Mack, Mike Kenn, along with current players like Jansen, Runyan, and now Jake Long). Lots of folks are picking up on my sentiment: WE NEED LINEMEN, ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL, or else the 'Skins are only pretenders.

Posted by: pdfordiii | December 9, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Also, anyone who will need psychiatric counselling after our loss to the Bengals on Sunday can reach me through the blogs. I need to know which building you're gonna jump from so I can have air mattresses in position. DON'T LAUGH!!, I was of great help to my Cowboy fan brother-in-laws after dem Jints kicked their butts in that playoff game.

Posted by: renaw9 | December 9, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

CP is a true team player the way he leaves it all on the field. But when the team is coming off the rails they need him just as much off the field, which is where he came up woefully short in this petty, selfish interview. If Portis has been the "best player" on the team, he's doing his best to surrender the title.

Posted by: nwreason | December 9, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

morran,or whatever you call yourself,
watch the game and learn, these 2 guys never lived up to there billing perod. Whether drafted in the 1st or 2nd round, they were projected to be starters/winners from the gate...understand--2 book ends my a-s, they miss and miss and the running game is only as good as it is because of the determination of a man named Portis, not Jansen or Samuels...i hate it when people think they may be right...when you are ready watch and see what a true O-Lineman can do to a defense when he is a monster! we need some mean dudes to smsh some mouths and get up and do it again and gain and again that is Foot Ball and than all will be well in redskin land..that is where i am coming from

Posted by: bruford | December 9, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

As I recall CP tossed Joe Gibbs under the bus a time or two. The fact is Portis has lost a step. Still a serviceable back but no more big contracts are coming his way. The O line is beat up and old, the D line is just plain weak. As a life long Skins fan I will be watching on Sunday but I realize that some teams are just plain better than we are right now. If the offense doesn't get into the end zone and you are a starter. You are part of the problem. The coaching staff is part of the problem and the front office is part of the problem. Portis is dead to me. He doesn't know the meaning of team. I'd rather have that fumbler Betts than a whiner running the rock. Cut him or if someone is stupid enough to trade for him, get a lineman that has less than 100K mile on him.

Zorn needs to get control or he will be gone just as fast as Marty Ball was.

The real problem in my opinion is this team got old fast via Pittsburg, New York and Baltimore. If we had someone that could rush a passer, we would be 30% better. The bright spot is that we have the best DB's in the league and will still be good after we cut hangnail Springs in the offseason.

Clinton just keep the mouthpiece in and your foot won't fit.

Posted by: Eradicator | December 9, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

bscoleman, you make it sound like Jim Zorn just walked into the head coach job with minimal NFL experience. Clinton Portis maybe a veteran who plays hard on every down, but Jim Zorn has been there and done that too. Now he's the head coach, and it's his decision who plays and who doesn't.

Posted by: mddave | December 9, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Hearing players complain about a lack of playing time, not getting the ball, being under-appreciated or whatever is so trite. Portis should just do the job he's asked to do, and if he doesn't like it he should grin and bear it and then go buy a couple of new Mercedes to cheer himslef up on Monday.

Posted by: mddave | December 9, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

bruford-
i agree with the fact that our line needs to get younger, one of the primary reasons i believe we have been less than stellar in pass protection and injuries. Jansen's best days are behind him but saying that he isn't still a solid right tackle is ridiculous. And Samuels is still a great tackle (who will probably make the pro bowl this year), why do you think that we ran to the left so much to start the season. Look man you don't have to believe me but just read Wilbon's most recent article where he talks about the line. In years past we have had a good line, injuries have taken a toll lately, but Jansen and Samuels were the anchors.

Posted by: morrownd | December 9, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Look up the word moron and you will see pictures of Zorn and Danny BOY. Get these clowns out of DC

Posted by: mike1ad | December 9, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Give Zorn's west joke offense first down on the 1 yard line with no defense and he still couldn't score with 4 tries. Get this joke out of DC and get a COACH!

Posted by: mike1ad | December 9, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Portis should be kept on the bench until he apologizes.

Posted by: cakewalk | December 9, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I like Zorn, and I think it's part of being a rookie head coach, but he screwed up BIGTIME. Clinton Portis in undeniably the toughest and best player we have, and has proven that when he plays we WIN GAMES. Especially in the FOURTH QUARTER. Sitting him out is one thing, but Portis indicated that Zorn did not communicate with him the situation. That is a fundamental coaching error. Especially with your FRANCHISE PLAYER. ya dig? Horny Zorny needs to step his game up, along with Snyder and Cerrato and build us a LINE.

Posted by: augustusmay | December 9, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Zorn should have made it clear to Portis and everyone that Portis wouldn't be playing.

What's the benefit of benching him during the game? Rash decision, maybe? Not very medium, I'd say.

Portis is the best player on the team and the most popular guy in the locker room. For Zorn to sit him, and risk the game for the rest of the team over some Ego BS will not sit well with the team.

Like I said: Zorn is losing the team.

He should have made it clear that if Portis doesn't practice, he doesn't play... Problem: Non Existent.

Instead, you get this rant, and you better believe Portis has a more receptive audience in the locker room. It's not Portis' fault Samuels couldn't block Suggs. It was irresponsible to go into that game with that blocking scheme.

"If two guys come free from Campbell's backside, the back picks up one, and the other is the QB's Spine's responsibility to pick up."

NO. That's Stupid. Somebody said Spurrier. I am seeing the same thing.

And pissing off Portis? Not Smart.

Posted by: LeftwithNochoice | December 9, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Can't Portis talk in correct English? It really annoys me to death when people say the word "ain't"--and talk like they are uneducated.

Posted by: jiacinto | December 9, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I am still confident that Zorn can turn this franchise into a legitimate contender again but it make take a year or two or even three. We are talking about the west coast offense that can take that long to truly be implemented and excuted. The talent that are there can still support a heavy run game. Our O line is getting old and its time to build in the draft or through free agency.

I think the one big negative is that the D line and O line have been ignored when its been our biggest sore the last few years. If anything, next year's draft should be focused on the d line or o line. Jansen and Samuels don't have that much left. We're holding too much to the past now, its time to get young and talented in those positions.

Now its safe to say the Jason Taylor trade was a bust. Portis himself is getting injured more than ever and has slowed a little, not dramatically but after the pounding he's taking the last few seasons has finally lead to this. He might have one at best two decent seasons left, then what? Betts is no spring chicken so what are we left with?

I think Zorn will be ok, truly.

Posted by: MCermeno | December 9, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Also Portis is a primadonna. I think that Snyder should tell him that Zorn is the coach and that he will do what the coach tells him to. I think that Zorn needs to assert himself and tell Portis that he's the one in charge.

Posted by: jiacinto | December 9, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

The West Coast Offense has NEVER worked here. The culture here in DC isn't conducive to that type of offense.

Posted by: jiacinto | December 9, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure what is going on with Portis, but if he is any where healthy, he needs to practice with the team. If he can't do that, then how can Zorn fully implement his offense. Clinton, dude, practice with your team. I don't care how popular you are. In the long run, it sets a bad example to the younger players, and handicaps your coach. Go to practice. You're getting paid to do that.

Posted by: djl2357 | December 9, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Up the Tempo, Up the Tempo...

Whatever.

How much tempo control does it take if you can block the other team? This tempo crap is just that.

I don't remember anything especially rhythmic about the Giants offense. Or the Panthers running like demons.

If you can beat the other team, you don't need to worry about the stupid "tempo".

We got us a weird one, for sure, which is fine when you're winning, but when he starts benching the best players and getting the QB killed, it's not so funny anymore.

Posted by: LeftwithNochoice | December 9, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Snyder also needs to back up Zorn. I think that Snyder needs to show clearly that Zorn has the authority to run the team.

Posted by: jiacinto | December 9, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Practice? We talkin' about PRACTICE here? We're not talkin' about the game, we're talkin' about practice, man.

Posted by: bluejeener1 | December 9, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Was anything Portis said wrong? I didn't notice it if so.

Posted by: dolph924 | December 9, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

What makes this whole thing foolish and makes Jim Zorn look foolish is that Portis is not Terrel Owens, he is not whiner or a wimp. He did not hold out of camp, instead he stayed here all offseason and did the lifting program that the team wanted. A model citizen. No trouble with the law. Etc. Plays hurt and so on.

He is highly regarded throughout the league as a gamebreaker and a very tough blocker. He was leading the league in yards and was being mentioned as an MVP candidate....not someone to call out on a nationally televised game.

Stump Mitchell called Portis "viscious" as a pass protector. According to Zorn himself, he "simplified" the offense for this game, so how would anything new have been introduced that Betts would know better than Portis? Jim Zorn won't call out Jansen for obvious whiffs on rushers, he won't adjust his scheme, some how Portis is supposed to deliver huge hits in the protection game and get out in flat to catch dump offs as Campbell runs for his life. Its BS.

The reality is that Zorn got a big head and starting thinking he was a great play-caller. But the rag-tag line and predicatible playing caught up to him as he started facing three or four top 7 defenses. If he wants to call out a wimpy player, call out Sean Springs who has consistently let this team down.

Portis has done what was asked. He played hurt. He carried the team at times, last year and this year. He is know as a great blocker. Zorn is a fool.

Blaming Portis, (originally blaming stump mithell) is a sissy move. I have seen enough of Zorn and his stupid weave necklace and mad scientist hair during post games.

Posted by: DownTownClown | December 9, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

This may be the first time I've ever heard a coach complain about a running back blocking too much! Zorn said that Portis wasn't getting out in the pass route quick enough because he was too busy blocking! Well, maybe if they had a better O-line they wouldn't need their star running back (who is the best blocking running back in the NFL) trying to keep the QB from having his head knocked in all game!

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | December 10, 2008 7:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm not taking sides on this topic. Both Zorn and Portis are wrong. CP needs to shutup and play. Zorn needs to hit the hammer down on the team. I'm tired of all these NFL Divas!

Ask for the team, we need a real GM! Dannyboy needs to let go. As long as Cerrato is around, the Redskins won't win!

Posted by: hardcoco | December 10, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't say Portis is THAT popular.

- A. Ovechkin

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | December 10, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I realize Portis speaks like Ali G, but is it too much to ask for Compost to print correct punctuation?

Or do they no longer employ copy editors?

Posted by: info42 | December 10, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Copy editor's on a blog?
What do you think Dan's doing?

Posted by: DadRyan | December 10, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I am SO sick and tired of athletes like Portis who go on and on and on about how disrespected they are and what upstanding people they must be for rising above all this adversity. It's ridiculous. Portis thinks of himself as a star running back, but star running backs don't get held to 32 yards. Ever. Even against Baltimore. We don't need this garbage right now. He needs to grow up.

Posted by: brian71490 | December 10, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

we're talking about practice??

Posted by: illicon | December 10, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Vote for your favorite diss:

Posted by: georgejones5 | December 10, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I feel sorry for the trainers who have to run out after CP every time he lays down on the field after one of his many "injuries". Seeing trainers go out on the field after CP is a more familiar sight than the Skins scoring touch downs. I think the trainers are at risk of pulling hammies they run out there so much! CP is an enigma. Some games he looks like the toughest back in the game handing out brick stone blocks like no other back I've ever seen. Lately, he looks like he'll sit himself out over a hang nail.

Posted by: mshetten1 | December 10, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

dashriprock

There was no criticism of Riggo in my comments; you jumped to the defense of someone who was not attacked, at least not by me.
In evaluating Riggo's contribution to the Skins glory years you need to factor in the fact that he had an outstanding OL throughout that time. Check out the Hogs webpage at
The Skins had great OL players then and as the original Hogs aged they were replaced by others with similar skills and work ethics. In addition to talent there was also continuity in that group which has not been the case recently. The Hogs were pre-Free Agency which helped continuity but, with the possible exception of Samuels, I'm not sure any of the current OL would command much attention on the openmarket anyway.
I can't quit my rant here without commenting on the last draft. With both the OL and DL devoid of young talent the SKINS go fot 2 WRs and a TE, none of whom have contributed yet. Unbelievable! The only worthwhile addition so far has been Horton who was undrafted.

Posted by: TysonsTom | December 11, 2008 6:50 AM | Report abuse