TK: No Radio Show Until MNF Gig Ends

(TWP file)

In past Monday Night Football offseasons, Tony Kornheiser has returned from the football booth to his radio hole, offering the following morning drive choices for the typical Bog reader: The Junkies, Colin Cowherd or TK and Friends. Well, no more. Appearing on this week's On the DL Podcast (100th episode!), Kornheiser said he wouldn't resume his radio career until he steps away from the football booth.

"I mean, I don't want to yo-yo," he told host and WashingtonPost.com contributor Dan Levy. "I don't want to do it five months on and six months off, or five months on and seven months off, whatever the math is....I'm not gonna do radio until I can do radio forever. There is no radio as long as I'm doing football, though I'll happily be a guest on anybody else's radio show whenever they want me....It's tiring. I mean, I loved it, I love radio, but to do it for a while and then to stop becomes more painful than not doing it at all."

Last time Kornheiser was on the local radio dial, it was on what used to be Washington Post Radio, an enterprise that has crashed entirely. If Tony did return to the air, his old haunt at ESPN 980 would seem to be a natural landing spot, but that would mean some degree of being on the Redskins' payroll. And even though he spent years using his radio show to try to get free stuff, that would cross his ethics line.

"My sense of that is that if I'm doing Monday Night Football, I can't take a paycheck from Dan Snyder," Kornheiser told Levy. "No, I can't do that. Now, [Snyder] will say--we haven't had any discussions, but in the past he's always said--that that's ridiculous, and 'It's not my money, it's some corporation's money, you're not being paid by me and you're not gonna be censored on any level.' And I understand that.

"But it also seems to me troubling that if his company owns the radio station and I'm employed ostensibly doing commentary on the National Football League teams, how can it not be a conflict?"

As for the MNF broadcast itself, Tony said he has "steeled" himself from reading any commentary, good or bad; that he doesn't want to know, and he sort of declined to answer a question about whether he was getting better in the booth.

"I think the broadcast is better this year than last year, I think it was better last year than the year before, so i think it's an upward arc," he said. "Am I better? I don't know if I'm any better. It still doesn't play to what I do best....I think the broadcast is better, so I'm a part of that. At worst, I'm just holding it back from being REALLY good, and at best I'm part of something that gets better all the time. Will that make bloggy news?"

Debatable, I guess. But his absence from radio waves this spring will be noticed, and he'll be missed.

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 17, 2008; 12:58 PM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jim Zorn Gets His Swag Back
Next: Clinton Portis's Stripper Pole

Comments

Tony wins, hands down, for the all-time worst comb-over in human history.

Posted by: sunnyman1 | December 17, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Bloggy news?

Will that show feature Dave Zahren?

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | December 17, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather have Tony on the radio than on MNF. I've hardly watched this year just because it isn't a medium he's very good in and there have been more interesting things to watch.

Now I'm rooting for him to get fired this year for selfish reasons. ;-P

Posted by: MtnWest | December 17, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

So basically Snyder is keeping Tony from resuming his show. Could there be any more reason to hate The Danny?

Posted by: Kev29 | December 17, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Tony was great on the radio. I don't watch MNF every week, but I listened to him almost every morning.

I see why he prefers the MNF gig, and for his sake I hope it sticks. But the idea of no more TK radio makes me a little sad.

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 17, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

This is pretty good news. The less of the braying jackass we have fouling the airwaves the better.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | December 17, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

korn is a tool bag

Posted by: illicon | December 17, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping Kornheiser is on the radio in one month!

[And for those of you who rode the little short bus today, I'm being facetious, as I think he is absolutely HORRIBLE on MNF and want him off the show! He comments and asks questions as if it's the first time he's watched a NFL game.]

Posted by: Peaux_Sucent | December 17, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Yet another reason to wish for this perpetually failing experiment of shoe-horning TK into the MNF booth to end. This year's retool is not working either. Kornheiser prefaces every comment with, "If I were writing a column right now, the first line is . . ." This from a guy who turned his back on writing to chase fame and fortune on TV, and now finds his only contribution to the booth to be lame comments about what he would do if he were still actually writing. Pathetic, and worse, wholly un-entertaining. For the sake of the children, please make it stop.

Posted by: rooster75 | December 18, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

That does it! I've been supportive of TK's MNF gig because I like him and wish him success. But now it has gone too far. If there is no radio show until MNF is over permanently then I want him fired right now, today!

Posted by: DCStack1 | December 18, 2008 7:10 AM | Report abuse