Worst. Week. Ever.

(By Toni L. Sandys - TWP)

Sports producer Lindsay Applebaum here with a new feature, the name of which I have shamelessly ripped off from a) Vh1's Best Week Ever, b) The Simpsons' Comic Book Guy and/or c) some CBS sitcom called "Worst Week," which may or may not have been canceled but I'd rather not look into it.

This week, like every week before it and every week to come, was the Worst. Week. Ever. as far as D.C. sports are concerned, and here's why:

Sunday: This only makes sense if we start on Sunday, which was clearly the Worst. Day. Ever. Bengals 20, Redskins [ugh, blah]. "You know what I feel like? I feel like Keanu Reeves in the Matrix, when he was a given a choice of pills, and I feel like I chose the wrong pill. I chose the 7-9 pill."

Monday: Jim Zorn calls himself the "Worst coach in America," which is great for the hyperbole theme but terrible for morale. Also, I thought Norv Turner had that one wrapped up years ago.

Bonus material: Wizards' loss to the Pacers was "embarrassing," "poor" and "the worst."

Tuesday: The Caps almost lose to the Islanders. Yes, this is how high our standards are now for Washington's Favorite Team by Default.

Also, we get a friendly reminder from the Post that the economy is still terrible. Also, we get a friendly reminder from the Post that the Eagles are full of sunshine, laughter and playoff hopes.

Wednesday: Slingin' Sammy Baugh passes away at age 94. He was old, he lived a good life and the Redskins will never have a better quarterback. Sort of fitting then, that columnist Sally Jenkins chooses this day to remind us that current Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell is painfully average.

Bonus material, as if we need it: The Wizards are still not very good at playing basketball.

Thursday: The Mark Teixeira bidding war continues to drag on. If you're an Orioles fan, this is the Worst. Day. Ever. because while the Red Sox are "not going to be a factor," the Nats are still in contention. Nothing like seeing the man of your dreams with your next-door neighbor. If you're a Nats fan, this is still the Worst. Day. Ever. because every day as a Nats fan is the Worst. Day. Ever.

Friday: The day is young. So far, the Caps have more injury woes and the Wizards are playing tonight.

Saturday: Possibilities are endless. Looking bleak.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  December 19, 2008; 12:36 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Redskins , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Look: The Caps Are Flying
Next: The EagleBank Bowl Gets Interesting

Comments

saturday because it's one day closer to next sunday (which will surely be the next WDE).

it's like those espn "one day closer to football" commercials except in some hellish twilight zone sort of way...

Posted by: yukiwith2us | December 19, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

You forgot that the Junkies will be blogging, which might make this the worst week of all time.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | December 19, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Lindsay,

In all seriousness, have you ever tried stand up? I sense an interest in that sort of thing from your writing style. Quite honestly, I haven't decided yet how much I enjoy it in the context of the Sports Bog (I like Stein's stuff in particular because he doesn't really TRY to be witty and let's the material speak for itself), but who knows, maybe comedy could be your true calling.

Just curious…

Posted by: MarylanDChris | December 19, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Pshaw.

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | December 19, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I was actually being serious, but okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

Posted by: MarylanDChris | December 19, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I got your lines for this coming Saturday.

The first ever Eagle bank, capitol bowl at RFK ends in disaster as it turns out that organizers making a classic new bowl game error forget to bring footballs and a trophy, or put up goal posts.

After mulling over all his options Teixeira decides that he would rather go to the Cuban Baseball League rather than play for the owners of the Nationals

In a move already being called the dumbest roster change in the history of pro sports, Vinny Cerraito fires Jim Zorn and replaces the Head coach with broadcaster Larry Michael, who immediately decides that he would be best served by benching starters Jason Campbell and London Fletcher for his long time booth sharers (he does not deserve to be their partner) Sonny and Sam.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 19, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I am with Marylandchris, I think the Baum and Stein Bog Show has market value and could really become a great weekly segment on Comcast.

Think of it u mix what you guys already do with the random videos blog interaction and video posting from the fans and BOOM! 1/2 hour of fun TV.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 19, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

hahahaha YES.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | December 19, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | December 19, 2008 2:21 PM
-------------------------------------------
As someone who was at RFK last week, I can tell you that goal posts definitely are up. As for the others, I'm hoarding all pumps so no footballs can be inflated.

Wait. What?

Posted by: Section117 | December 19, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I guess I shouldn't have read MarylanDChris's comments as wanting Lindsay to stop writing?

//awkward