Brandon Noble and The Fire Cerrato Petition

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

Considering it's been active for more than two weeks, you might say the number of folks who have signed onto this Fire Vinny Cerrato petition is kind of disappointing. I mean, 421 signatures? You can see more signatures on random objects people use to funnel beer in the FedEx Field lots.

But the petition is still worth the 10 seconds it took to create, thanks to the famous people who have latched onto the campaign. There are many of them, and they've chosen to append witty comments onto their virtual signatures.

(Speaking of famous people and Cerrato, how about the AP story on VC's unpopularity, in which the lead quote came from "Brendan Noble." Brendan Noble!

"When his name comes up, usually it's not followed by compliments," said Brendan [sic] Noble, a retired defensive lineman who played in Washington from 2003-05. "In talking to players who have been around the league and just in general -- fans -- it's not just the players. People don't have a good image of him."

What, Matt Bowen was unavailable for comment? But say for this Noble: like Cerrato, he's worked for the 49ers, Redskins, and ESPN. It's a pretty small universe of men who can say that.

On to the signatures:

Jim Zorn: I support this petition. My job might depend on it.

Marty Schottenheimer: I tried to tell you Dan. I tried.

Ron Mexico: I support this petition.

Joe Gibbs: I support this petition. He was no good when I was there. God Bless You All. ["Gibbs" has actually signed four times, brave soul that he is.]

Matt Terl: I support this petition wholeheartedly. Cerrato's time has come to an end.

Ralph Wiggum: My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Sammy Baugh: My last words were "Fire Vinny."

Matt Millen: Vinny didn't you learn from my mistakes. You can't win by just drafting WRs.

Vinny C: I support this petition. I am totally incompetent at my job, please fire me! I will still hold for you when you practice field goals Mr. Snyder, and of course I will let you beat me in Racquetball and H.O.R.S.E.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 6, 2009; 10:59 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Local Poll Week VIII: If the Keydet Fits
Next: Flyers Coach on Boudreau's Comments

Comments

Larry Michael also wants Vinny to get fired so that he can stop sleeping on the floor during Dannys slumber parties.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 6, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Dan,

Why is 421 signatures disappointing? How many, to you, would make it not disappointing?
You want to see a number like 10,000? Would that make it NOT disappointing? Reading that just didn't look good, if you know what I mean, it doesn't make you look good.

Just sayin...

Posted by: joeblazin | January 6, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

joeblazin-
There are millions of Skins fans...having only 421 signatures is pathetic. I read every Skins blog and I've never heard of this petition before, so it makes sense the number is so low. Having said that, I just signed it and I expect it to be over 100K by the end of the day b/c of Stein's post.

Posted by: ewoldtk | January 6, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

is it your petition joe?

Posted by: alex35332 | January 6, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Did Brandon Noble ever play a snap for the Redskins? Regardless, he's dead on regarding Cerrato.

Posted by: davekempson | January 6, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

That's funny. There was an SNL retrospective on the tube the other night, with a skit involving Derek Jeter appearing on Weekend Update to talk about a slump. Jeter said he was doing his best and hoped fans understand that, then turned it over to Seth Meyers as a Red Sox fan, who just started yelling, "you suck! Bite me!'. That's a true fan for ya. If it ain't 'we're going to win every game', he doesn't want to hear it.

So it's sack the coach, trade the players, fire the GM, force the owner to sell... it's professional sports, ladies and gennamen.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 6, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I so could've used this in October.

- Durant B.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | January 6, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Why are we still talking about the Lower Potomac Indigenous Peoples? Am I mistaken or is their season over? Has the 'Bog been taken over like 980 and it's now "The Lower Potomac Indigenous Peoples 24/7 (Even in March!)"?

Why don't we talk more about how great the Caps are or how badly the Zardos are doing or about the NFL PLAYOFFS?!! (thank you, Jim Mora) instead of those perpetual "overcharging for a substandard product," middling, hegemonic team from Ashburn?

Posted by: playahatah | January 6, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I liked the AP article. It's funny how Vinny has been disliked everywhere he's been...maybe he's just a major a**hole that nobody can stand.

Posted by: az_david | January 6, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

The 2000's Redskins are a lot like the 1980's Yankees.

A lot of flash with the cash to bring in name players who don't perform and an owner whose ego won't allow him to see that his club has gone from elite in the early 1990's to an also-ran.

Posted by: leopard09 | January 6, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse