Can You Root for the Ravens?

(2004 photo by Jonathan Newton - TWP)

A fellow D.C. sportswriter recently reported that two of his born-and-bred D.C.-area friends now root for the Ravens. Other acquaintances have passed on similar stories: fed-up with the perpetually middling Redskins, they are shifting their loyalty up 95, at least on a postseason basis.

My general thought: huh????

It's sort of the same debate about the Orioles and the Nationals, but sort of not. D.C. folks had fine reasons for rooting for the Orioles during much of the pre-Nat era: the O's were likable, they had a great ballpark, and there was no baseball team in Washington. Even in the post-Nat era, the way baseball is set up, it's sort of acceptable to choose one AL team and one NL team. And even with all that, I still find dual Nats-O's fandom a bit suspicious.

But the NFL deal is different. The Redskins never left, for one thing. Baltimore fans sent rays of seething resentment southbound, for another. And if you get too cozy with the Ravens, with their fancy-pants downtown stadium and sound personnel moves and on-field success, the temptation might be a little too intense, notwithstanding the purple camo. That's why you never want to start cheating.

So I say it's not allowed, and that, if anything, Redskins fans should root against the Ravens in the playoffs and at every opportunity, if for no other reason than the Ravens force us to watch Cleveland on the television a couple times a year.

But opinions vary. The Baltimore Sun's Childs Walker wrote an introspective essay last month, explaining why he never rooted for the Skins, and in fact "devoted myself to hating them with an ardor reserved for no other sports franchise." Longtime Bog reader and A11 voter Bill Fitzgerald, on the other hand, thinks it's doable to feel kindly toward both franchises.

And then Rich Tandler makes the novel argument that Skins fans should root for the Ravens out of self-interest, and that "Steve Bisciotti holding up the Lombardi Trophy would be a life-altering moment for [Daniel Snyder]. It would force him to take a serious look at the way he does things."

Eh, maybe, but still. And I'd guess this also varies by county. Howard? Likely. Montgomery? Maybe. Fairfax? Probably not. Prince William? Ha.

So, is this to be permitted or not?

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 8, 2009; 10:54 AM ET
Categories:  NFL , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morgan State, Huh?
Next: Quirky Happy Wizards Notes

Comments

As a PG native, I've always hated the Redskins franchise, but admired its players. I respect the Skins' fan base for being loyal, even if ownership exploits it. I've rooted for the Ravens since they arrived, and have never rooted against the Skins unless they were playing the Ravens.

I think that the animosity between the two cities adds to some Redskin fans' short-sighted angst against a team that plays hard, treats its fans well and makes way more good moves than bad.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | January 8, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

As a skins fan living in Baltimore, my general dislike for the Ravens has grown into hatred. You can blame this squarely on the fans, not the players or the front office.

Ravens fans are like Cowboys fans. You won't hear a peep out of them when they go 5-11 and miss the playoffs (especially at the half empty stadium last December), but as soon as they have the slightest sniff of success they'll be in your face telling you how much better the Ravens are than your pathetic team.

Root for the Ravens? No thanks.

Posted by: MrSkin | January 8, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I root for them in, but in a manner as close to disinterested as possible.

* They'll always be favored in my mind over any NFC East team (which made the Super Bowl easy) and any Norv Turner-coached team
* In other circumstances, unless I have a specific reason to root for the other team, I generally root for the Ravens, unless their players have committed an unusual number of apparent felonies that year.

I'm from Silver Spring.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | January 8, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

eff the ratbirds
eff b-more
eff jlc
eff vinny
eff cp
eff the danny
eff zorn

HTTR!

Posted by: jonthefisherman | January 8, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Q- What fan can say anything at 5-11? Or 8-8 for that matter?

A - Fire Cerrato. That about covers it.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | January 8, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Steinz! You're a Hen - don't you kinda sorta wanna see Flacco do good? Isn't that enough incentive, especially with the Skinz comfortably bedded down for the winter? What's the harm? And who else would ya root for, the Steelers? Giants? Iggles?

Posted by: jhorstma | January 8, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

There is nothing redeeming about the Ravens, their craphole city, or their criminal players. When the Ravens play a game against other NFC East teams I root for a tornado to tear through the stadium...as long as Ray Lewis is the only one that gets hurt.

Posted by: davekempson | January 8, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I find it easier to watch the Ravens this year more than any other. Their offense still struggles at times, but at least it shows up to every game, more then I can say for dem' Skins. I never thought I would say it, but I've never been happier to see the end of the season for the Skins, watching that offense(or lack their-of) was like nails on a chalkboard! Good news is I just got my bus pass to the Ravens Bandwagon!!

Posted by: Iwatsu | January 8, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I hate the Ravens and cant stand the people who say they root for both teams. Pick one, if you are a so called Skins fan and say you also like the Ravens, you really arent a Skins fan.

Posted by: MadDog20201 | January 8, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

When I was younger and I lived just out side of DC I thought it was fine to root for the ravens, even though my heart belonged to the Skins. But then I went to college and met a bunch of ravens fans, and the sight of purple camo started to annoy me but I didn't hate them. Then I moved to Baltimore my anti-passion for all things ravens grew to the point that I now rank them with the cowboys and eagles as my most hated teams.
MrSkin is 100% correct, their fans make me loath them because of their ignorance, their fickleness, and their unrelenting homerism. The worst part is, they do put together good teams that I would otherwise respect but instead the sight of purple camo just makes me want to poke my eyes out.

Posted by: ChampKind | January 8, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

"I still find dual Nats-O's fandom a bit suspicious."

I find YOU suspicious, Steinberg.

Posted by: jamesmottram | January 8, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I have been a skins fan for as long as I can remember. I don't hate the Ravens, but I guess I am sort of indifferent toward them. I just think its kind of funny that their fans have so much animosity toward the Redskins. That being said, I will not root for the Ravens in the playoffs unless they are playing an NFC East team in the Super Bowl. I do, however, like to see Flacco do well (I'm another Blue Hen Alum).

Posted by: jacktrickard | January 8, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I have little problem with the Ravens, I honestly don't care what they do. If they are in the big game at the end then I will root for them as a proximity thing and point out the irony that they got there in the same year Bush got into office too.

The problems I got with the Ravens are.
1. their fans inferiority complex to D.C. sports teams, and its even creeping into baseball despite what the Nats are on the field.
2. The Ravens Logo and Colors, way to take a bada$$ name and make it as unthreatening as possible, a smiling bird with purple and yellow as the team colors (where have I seen those before). Go all black all the time Bmore.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 8, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I too am a die hard redskin fan living in B-more for the last twelve years. I'm thirty years old, and the contempt that ravens fans have for us has always amazed me up here. I understand the older generation of colts fans that still maintain their loyalty but all these idiots born after '83 when they left, I say "who did you root for before the ravens got here?" There is no way i would ever support this football team. I will always stay true to my skins and when they win another superbowl in maybe 20 years, it will be that much sweeter.

Posted by: Skins281 | January 8, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I simply cannot root for a team whose star player and "face" of the team should probably be in jail as an accessory to murder. Seriously. How can the NFL keep fawning over Ray Lewis?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | January 8, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I completely agree with @MadDog20201. Pick one team and get off of the fence. I hate the Ravens, and will actively root against them, the Cowboys, and any team with Norv Turner on the staff in any and all situations.

Stein brought up the team's "sound personnel moves," but I would disagree with that assessment. How did Elvis Grbac work out? How about that QB "phenom" Kyle "Look at me, I can throw a ball fifty yards from my knees but can't throw it at all standing up" Boller? The Steve McNair Experiment? How about letting Priest Holmes walk in favor of Jamal Lewis at the height of his felon-dom? The ONLY thing that team EVER had was a defense, and that's because of two players - Ed Reed and Ray Lewis. Their coaches are HORRIBLE - Mike Nolan as a D coordinator? How much better did both he and Marvin Lewis look with good players? Jim Fassell as O-coordinator? I won't even get into Brian Billick, the "Offensive Genius." Not saying the 'Skins did any better, but don't even try and hold the Ravens up as a team that makes good personnel moves.

I go to bed every night praying the owner will pack up the team and take it away in Mayflower Trucks, just so the fans can cry about how they didn't deserve this to happen to them...again.

Posted by: Bra8en | January 8, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I am completely ambivalent about the Ravens. I don't care if they win or lose unless they are playing a team from the NFC East (Redskins-con, Eagles, Giants, & Cowboys-pro). As a rule Redskin fans in general don't think it's a rivalry (a Washington Post poll of Skins fans was over 90% in favor of it's not a rivalry).
However, I live in Crofton where the fans are split 50/50 and can tell you that Ravens fans want it desperately to be a rivalry in spite of Redskins fans indifference to it. Unfortunately, they play once every four years and our rivals are set (Eagles, Giants, & Cowboys) so it will NEVER be a rivalry.

Posted by: croftonpost | January 8, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I root for the Ravens, mainly because they play a style of football that I enjoy.

They make smart personnel decisions by drafting for depth and rarely picking up free agents, they place a large emphasis on running the ball, and they play a nasty, swarming defense. Likewise with the Steelers. Since I don't have much experience with the fans, they don't annoy me.

As for their smart personnel decisions, let's look at their current roster. How many are draft picks vs. free agents? Most of their standout players are home grown and they have a depth that the Redskins should covet.

Posted by: Joran | January 8, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

It must make *some* Redskins fans so deeply sad to see the Ravens have a legitimate playoff shot in 5 of the last 8 years - including a Super Bowl win and a strong playoffs run this year - when they know that all Danny Boy and Vinny C have brought them are Steve Spurrier and 2 crummy first-round exits from the playoffs in the same span. A terrible era of waste and failure marring such storied tradition of winning.

Don't worry, there's plenty of room for you on the Ravens Bandwagon. Otherwise, choke on it, haters.

Posted by: chumbucket | January 8, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I'll try to be as fair as possible to our friends up 95 when I say this, but Baltimore is dead to me as a sports town (I'm from MoCo, grew up watching the Orioles, only because I didn't have a team of my own in the DC area). Once Baltimore and Maryland officials colluded with Art Modell in the theft of the Browns and Peter Angelos actively kept a baseball team from the nation's capital (then watered down the deal in '05) - I don't have any good feelings for Baltimore teams. It pains me that the bastard Ravens franchise wears the Maryland flag on their uniforms, but Glendening did help steal them and build the stadium.

I was born in the District and raised in Silver Spring - I am nothing but a Washington DC sports fan. Simple is that - Baltimore might as well be Philadelphia, New York or Boston. Savages of the north.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 8, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

not really a ravens thing but a fan thing in general - root for the home team. don't root for teams based on their style of play, their players, etc. if you have a friend or relative on a certain team that's an exception. that's why the cities are attached to the teams. they are the washington redskins not the fed ex redskins

rooting for a team that is not your home team is wrong and idiotic.

Posted by: jnicol2 | January 8, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't root for them but I definitely envy them. Pretty much everything we can't get right, they're good at.

- awesome stadium, located in their namesake city
- handsoff, down-to-earth owner
- a patient and intelligent GM
- a commitment to the draft and developing young players

and that's just the main bullet points. the list is really endless. I personally feel that every decision Dan Synder makes is done to with the intent to make money off of it in some form or fashion. Whereas the guy could just do what the Ravens,Steelers,Colts and Patriots do and eventually win a Super Bowl and make booku bucks that way, he'd rather remain oblivious and try over and over to get a quick-fix.

Posted by: tjeffries1 | January 8, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Ravens fans are obnoxious. Ray Lewis is an obnoxious criminal who somehow gets a pass from the media. I don't care about the Ravens any more or less than I do any other team from their division (I think smug-ass Steelers fans are even worse than Ravens fans). I never want those purple-camo wearing morons to feel any joy whatsoever, though.

I like Ed Reed though. Great player.

Posted by: pipkin42 | January 8, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm indifferent towards both.

People are free to jump ship from one to the other provided they're up front and honest about it. You can't tell people about your longtime love of the Ravens because you were tired of a moderately long stretch of mediocrity out of the 'Skins. You tell your fellow Ravens fan that you just jumped on the bandwagon, and you accept their scorn (which may include a camo-purple can of Coors Light poured on your head). You should inform people that when it comes to sports, you're a front-runner that can't be trusted. Own your lack of commitment to the cause. Be the best bandwagon jumper you can be.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 8, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

You're kidding, right Kev?

So after B-more made effort after effort to secure an expansion team, mightily demonstrating how quickly to sell out a decrepit old stadium that even the Orioles had since fled from for a game between the "Ain'ts" and the Dolphins, after having a field of prospective owners that included the Glazer family, who now own the Tampa Bay Bucs, after showcasing the construction plans for what is now M&T Bank Stadium, the NFL awarded NFL expansion franchises to Charlotte (hard argument to make against that place) and... Jacksonville???? Jacksonville, which had to cover up 10,000 seats over the last few years to "reduce stadium capacity" in order to ensure so-called sell-outs (and avoid TV blackouts)? Jacksonville, which is considered one of the worst Super Bowl site hosts ever because of it's size and facilities?

Paul Tagliabue, who was close friends with JKC and a Redskins season-ticket holder prior to becoming the NFL commish, told Baltimore, "Hey, screw you, go build a museum or something." And JKC, who to his dying days tried to prevent Baltimore from getting any kind of NFL team (wasn't he the only one voting against the Browns move?) in order to permanently secure Baltimore as his territory, including by attempting to build the new Redskins stadium in Laurel?

You know, folks have a reason to decry the fact that Modell moved the team out of Cleveland, but had it instead been the LA Rams that moved to Baltimore, or *gulp* the LA/Oakland Raiders, I serious doubt you'd be singing this tired old country song. Baltimore was right out there trying to induce anyone to come, and come they did. You must have been too busy wallowing in your Skin's 3-13 record in 1994 and 1995's 3-5 start when the news was delivered that Baltimore's efforts to bring a team were finally bearing fruit.

Damn right it was sweet for Baltimore to win the SB in 2000 - all the harder it was for Tags to own up to his Jacksonville mistake.

Posted by: chumbucket | January 8, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I guess now wouldn't be a good time to say the Skins traded down twice when Ed Reed was available to draft the great Patrick Ramsey.

I can't root for the Ravens...and I still root for the Redskins, but it's becoming harder by the day.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | January 8, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Can and do, Big Stein, can and do. In the three seasons since I penned that piece, my fanhood pendulum has swung more Ravens and less Redskins. Still waiting for Snyder to blind himself with the belt buckle.

Posted by: fitzfacts | January 8, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Chum, no matter what way you spin it, Baltimore stole its team from Cleveland who desperately tried to keep it there and had no problem doing this to another city, despite knowing how it felt to have Indy do that same thing to them. Thus, I have no respect for Ravens fans as I find them completely hypocritcal. And I guess I am indifferent, as I consider them the fake Browns and not really a part of the NFL, even when they won the SB. I do find it funny that people think that there's some jealousy or something between Skins fans and Ravens fans, um, no. I root for my team in the NFC and worry and care about the other NFC East teams.

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 8, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Just because the Skins aren't in the playoffs is no reason to trade in your colors. Traitors. Grow up.

Posted by: Gfunk | January 8, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

The most intriguing fans are the Redskins/orioles crowd. Why these oriole fans are so eager to stand shoulder to shoulder at camden yards with the same folks who violate Jack Kent Cooke Stadium (it’s still the Big Jack to me) with their hideous purple and give Redskins fans the finger on their way out of the parking lot is a mystery to me.

Also, fans whose allegiance is won/lost record dependent aren't fans of any team.

Posted by: charlie814 | January 8, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Suzannepdc,

What Ravens fans don't get about the Redskins fans is we just don't care about them. In spite of the Redskins numerous problems we are no more jealous of them than we would be of the Denver Broncos. They are just another team in the league that happens to be located nearby but may as well be located in South Dakota.

Secondly, if I listen to one more Baltimore hypocrite talk about what JKC did to them I am going to vomit. JKC did nothing more than follow the Oriole blueprint for keeping baseball out of DC (I am an Oriole fan by the way). This is an indisputable fact (listen up Chumbucket) and is always ignored by the Baltimore sports fan.

Posted by: croftonpost | January 8, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I had no problem with the ravens until i would get lamblasted by their fans for being a skins fan. I work in the baltimore area, went to school in the baltimore area and noting but hate from them.

So i hate them back.

Look, dont be jealous that our team didnt skirt off in the night, then all you hypocrit bmore winers crying about what Irsay did went and did the same thing to Cleveland.

You will always be the clevland ravens or baltimore browns to me

Posted by: Zeebs | January 8, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Was there a blueprint minted by the Orioles for keeping baseball out of DC, or a proven track record of baseball fleeing DC for other pastures? See Texas Rangers after DC Baseball's 1971 season and Minnesota Twins after DC Baseball's 1960 season.

Give the Washington Nationals about 8 more seasons. That's a world-class money-makin' stadium sitting there on the It'llcostya River, but if poor attendance keeps on its laconic pace, it'll be an empty White Elephant before ya know it and the "stolen" Montreal Expos will be playing down in Charlotte, NC under some other name. Maybe DC can "steal" the Hagerstown Suns to play minor league ball there after that.

And Suzy, you can't honestly poo-poo people actually rooting for the Ravens, not after the State of Maryland tied up so much money in that stadium and the sweetheart lease the Stadium Authority gave the franchise. It's in taxpayers own financial interest to support that team. JKC to his credit built his own stadium and the only help he got from MD was roads and sewer. I mean, fer cripes sake, DC is as dirty when it comes to stealing franchises as any other in sports.

Had Baltimore "stolen" the Rams, Raiders, or Oilers franchises instead of the Browns, would you still be singing the Cleveland Blues? In any case whatsoever, the NFL has righted its franchise relocation wrongs. Cleveland (v2.0) and has a team, Indy (Baltimore Colts) has a team, Baltimore has a team (Cleveland Browns v1.0), Chicago has a team, Arizona (Chicago and subsequently St. Louis Cardinals) has a team, St. Louis has a team (Cleveland and subsequently LA Rams), Oakland has its team back (poor Oakland), Houston has a team (Texans after Oilers moved and became the Tennessee Titans).

Would it surprise you to learn that the Minnesota Vikings or Jacksonville Jaguars could still very well move to LA if ever it gets a stadium built, or that there's talk that the Buffalo Bills might move to Toronto? You can talk thievery all you want, but the plain fact is that the NFL presents a sports commodity, and in but one instance (Packers), these franchises are privately owned and owners do as they wish, including moving their franchises where its most advantageous. It's part of the NFL's rich history (if you care to learn it), and it remains very much a part of the league's future.

So root for the Ravens or not. The Browns suck, and so do the Redskins. There's room on Baltimore's bandwagon for you, too. If you're an indignant Skins fan, I just hope you have to suffer the indignity of watching the Ravens play the Eagles (9-6-1 regular season record, including 2 losses to the Skins and a stinking tie to the Cincinnati Bungles) in the Super Bowl.

Posted by: chumbucket | January 8, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Chumbucket,

You completely ignored my point. Baltimore fans need to stop whining about JKC and his evil ways. Baltimore did the EXACT same thing to DC in baseball. That is not my opinion it is a fact. By the way I don't hate the Ravens at all, I just don't care about them. I personally think Ed Reed is the most dominant player in the game today. However, in the NFL you are only as good as your current record and as both local teams have seen lately that can change dramatically from one year to the next.

Posted by: croftonpost | January 8, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Angelos did exactly what JKC did, and the results net out as far karmic energy goes (with the exception of the rights to broadcast the games, but that was the tribute MLB had to pay to Angelos for "giving up" his marketing territory). Just means that each city had to bleed to get what it wanted.

Posted by: chumbucket | January 8, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

"it'll be an empty White Elephant before ya know it and the "stolen" Montreal Expos will be playing down in Charlotte"

Posted by: chumbucket | January 8, 2009 3:28 PM

The Montreal Expos were owned by Major League Baseball and on the verge of contraction before they were moved by the league, not "stolen". Take your false equivalencies back to Balmire, hon.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 8, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Considering my age, the Ravens moved in just as I started to get into football. Since I live in Maryland, they're both local teams to me.

The same thing happened with the O's and Nats.

They're in different conferences/leagues, so I don't see much of a problem.

Posted by: Joran | January 8, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I hate the Ravens more than the Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys combined.

A lot of that has to do with my proximity to all of the purple BS, and because a lot of my friends who are Ravens fans like to rub it in my face when they do well, but I'll be honest, some of it also has to do with the fact that I'm flat out jealous with the Ravens organization. Everything from the owner to the front office/GM to the stadium to the PR/gimmicks, is far superior to the Dan/Vinny/FedEx Field/gouge your fans show down in DC.

But I'll still be a Redskins fan until I die.

Posted by: RickyBobby | January 8, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Kev, what a distinction. Owned by one person or by 30, the team was still taken from another city's fan base so you could have them for your own enjoyment. Was it only 1994 when Olympic Stadium was packed to the gills with fans during what would have the team's march to the World Series during the strike-shortened year? You and your sanctimony...

I guess DC will be giving Baltimore it's Bullets, er, Wizards back then. You wanna know why B-more fans have a disdain for DC sports? Forget the class stuff. It's because DC stole one of our teams and threatened to steal a second (Edgar Bennet Williams and his threats to move dem O's to DC without a new stadium) and yet that was all met with yawns in your alternative universe. B-more fans don't care about DC sports except for that capriciousness - that same sentiment that leaves Verizon Center half-filled during Caps games until there's maybe a playoff series involved - except to muster up enough to spit on the scene for it and move along.

I will say though that come game day, the Redskins never cross a Raven fan's mind unless they happen to be lining up on opposite sides of the same ball.

Posted by: chumbucket | January 8, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Don't cross your minds, unless you come to a Washington blog and spew your nonsense. You stole a team with one of the best followings in profession sports. Comparisons to the Expos and Bullets, please. Keep your opinions in your poverty striken hell hole.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 8, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

"Don't cross your minds, unless you come to a Washington blog and spew your nonsense."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well, the blog post *was* entitled "Can You Root for the Ravens?", so that's fair game. I say of course you can. All you elitist haters on here though just gotta go drudging up non sequiters. I think it's funny that you call Baltimore a poverty stricken city when in the same breath standing up for the honor Cleveland's beggar-class fans. For such a self-aggrandizing elitist, you are astonishingly stoopid.

Posted by: chumbucket | January 9, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

As somebody who grew up outside of Baltimore but has since been in the DC area for almost the same length of time I've spent plenty of time amongst fans of both cities. I grew up rooting for Baltimore sports teams (which was mainly the O's w/o an NFL team most of the time I lived there) and continue to root for those teams.

Living in the DC area has actually made me a bigger fan of the Baltimore teams more. I'll probably come across sounding like a jerk for saying this but I feel bad for the DC fans for the general apathy towards the teams here not named the Redskins. Even with the Skins I have seen a loss in passion towards the team over the years, but as an O's fan I can sypathize with some of the reasons for that (though not the stadium experience, Camden is still one of the best, FedEx is awful - more of an ownership issue).

Yes I know the O's attendance stinks now, but it has taken the worst 10 year stretch in team history to get here, all it took in DC was getting past opening day of the innaugural season ofthe Nats for locals to lose interest in the team. Heck, Baltimore used to get 30-40K fans for CFL games at ratty old Memorial Stadium in a somewhat "Wire-esque" neighborhood (OK, not that bad, but not great and still a pain to get to).

I'm not claiming that Baltimore has the best sports fans; I'm jealous of the passion that people in cities like Chicago, Philly and NYC have for their teams. You may not like their fans, but have to respect their passion for their teams. (NOTE - purposely leaving Boston off this list. Their teams sell a lot of tickets and get good ratings, but they have too many pink hat wearing bandwagoners).

I admit that there are plenty of Baltimore fans that have an inferiority complex which I wished wasn't the case, but comments such as "your poverty striken hell hole" don't help the matter. Give the city a chance, you might actually like it, especially if you get away from the Harbor (yes there are safe neighborhoods outside of that area).

Sorry for the long post and not trying to be self-rightous. I like DC, just wanted to throw in my $.02 after reading some of the other comments.

And for the original topic of the blog post, I say Skins fans feel free to root for the Ravens, they're a fun team to watch, just don't do so while looking down on the guy next to you at the bar wearing purple camo.

Posted by: dugly2ugly | January 9, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse