Caps and Flyers Fans Don't Hate Each Other

"Nobody likes the Flyers," pleaded some fan in the 400 level early in the second period tonight, after a security guard made him take off his "F--- Philly" t-shirt.

"Don't put it back on," the guard said, without smiling.

"Let's Go Flyers!" the Philly fans chanted throughout the night. "Flyers Suck!" the D.C. fans responded.

"Flyers fans? They're obnoxious as hell," Caps fan J.J. Regan told me earlier in the evening.

"They're just the worst," added Chris Levesque. "They're lewd and crude."

But virtually none of it seemed vitriolic, to be honest. I wandered into the group of Flyers fans watching pre-game warmups, and they just seemed sort of amused by the whole "we don't like them" thing.

"Not even Top 5, I would say," one Flyers fan said, when I asked where the Caps ranked on their rivalry scale.

"About eighth," Rothstein said.

"See, I've always had a strange respect for Flyers fans," legendary Caps fan Goat told me. "They're always there, and they boo their own team because they expect more, and they demand more. Nobody wants to admit it, but everybody's got a bit of Philly fan in them. I just appreciate that they wear it on their sleeves."

There were nods in the direction of dislike. There was the in-game graphic on the big screen asking whether Philadelphia is most known for Rocky, cheesesteaks, or obnoxious fans. Horn Guy brought his "So easy a Flyers fan can do it" poster. The urinals were covered with "Peeire" Pee-Pics. (And if you've never taken a photo of a urinal with a cheap-o camera, let me tell you, it's tricky.)

Problem is, overwhelmingly fans of both teams said they didn't actually hate each other. And after Capitals Coach Bruce Boudreau talked about how his club just doesn't like the Flyers earlier this week, he retreated slightly tonight.

"I didn't like them when I played against them myself, but that's just because they're good, that's for no other reason," he said in a pre-game interview with Fox 5. "Their personalities are fine, and they're probably good guys off the ice."

It's hard to hate probable good guys. And many fans seemed to agree.

"Oh no, we love each other," Flyers fan Michele Atkins said of her pre-game drinking partner, Caps fan Jessica Thomas. "You know, it's like a marriage, give and take."

"Mutual disagreement," Thomas explained.

"It's a spat, really," Atkins concluded.

"He's my best friend," Flyers fan Eric Donnell said of HIS pre-game drinking partner, Caps fan Martin Robertson. "I love him to death, like my brother,"

"It's just sad that he's a Flyers fan," Robertson replied. "When I found out, I was like, 'What's up man???' "

The random passersby on 7th Street were confused by all the camaraderie; one guy standing outside the McDonald's askied the orange and red people why they were all being so friendly to each other.

"As soon as we get inside we'll start swinging," promised Caps fan Keith Dockens, though he didn't seem convinced.

"No, I'M swinging," interrupted his pal, Chad Claggett. "I'm the Flyers fan here, what the hell?"

And even when the surrounding Caps fans promised to throw Claggett onto the ice like an octopus, it was sort of hard to believe them. They all agreed on so much: that this was nothing like a Redskins-Eagles game. That both teams should be Eastern Conference powers and rivals for years. And that there were more important issues in the world than Caps vs. Flyers.

"I hate the Penguins," Donnell offered, for example.

"Everybody hates the Penguins," Robertson agreed.

And by the way, Flyers fans apparently aren't the only ones who can get obnoxious. Flyers fan Chris Serret went to last year's D.C. playoff games with Caps fan Andy Tretler, a hater of all things Philly.

"That chick sitting next to me was being violent with me," Serret recalled. "She was crazy. I felt a little intimidated."

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 6, 2009; 9:01 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: M & M's Believe the Skins Wear Maroon
Next: Boudreau Stays the Course, Richards Says "Maybe Dirty"

Comments

Re: "It's not a real rivalry," added Philly fan Paul Milburn. "They can try to amp themselves up if they want, but our rivals are Pittsburgh and New Jersey."

New Jersey? ha ha ha ha ha. When your rival is New Jersey, you're a bit like the Ravens... yawn. Who cares about YOU? :)

Posted by: CapsCapsCaps1 | January 6, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

It is a typical tactic to dismiss certain teams you feel are inferior as your rival. Should the Caps start piling up the wins against some of these teams (especially in the playoffs) see how quickly they rocket to the top of the rivals list.

Though even then, that is no guarantee that they'll give us the respect we deserve.

Posted by: CapsNut | January 6, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't disagree more. After game #2 of last springs playoff series we absolutely stomped about 8 Flyer fans outside of the Green Turtle. The lowlife Flyer fans just couldn't leave well enough alone and were beaten down with a great deal of vigor. As they stumbled to the safety of the arriving squad cars we chanted "back to Jersey". Given the fact that Philly is a ghetto located in between the nations capital and NYC.. the trash that resides in the general region has an inferiority complex. They are well aware that the rest of the nation has a low opinion of them so they do there best to be "Philly proud". The top 3 reasons people go to Philly : Cheese Steaks/Rocky Steps/They're lost

Posted by: natmagic | January 6, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Re: "Where were [Caps fans] three years ago?" said Philly fan Eric Rothstein, the gent pictured here with matching Flyers tattoos on both sides of his shaved skull. "They're Johnny Come Latelies if you ask me. I don't hate them, I just think they're frauds."

Actually, this guy is the Johnny-Come-Lately, because he clearly wasn't around in the 80s when Caps-Flyers games at Cap Centre turned into giant brawls on and off the ice.

Posted by: gocaps2 | January 7, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

The Flyers have been good forever except 2006-07, and guess what. No one showed that year. I went to both games in Philly, and it was pretty empty. I don't remember the Flyers fans at Verizon that year either. Pitt was last in attendance not too long ago. Most fans are bandwagon fans, but even the Caps have fans that are idiots like me who renew their season tix no matter what.

Posted by: MikeEagles | January 7, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

With all do respect Caps fan...the comments (Johnny-come-lately fans) by the Flyers fan noted in above story are accurate. Tough as it maybe for you to read and accept. And nobody in Philadelphia would call this a rivalry. It just isn't. Not yet.

So stop kidding yourselves.

Flyers fans have been supporting their teams like no other fan base in Philly since the team's inception. Our rivalries are Pitt, and NYR (not so much NJ anymore but certainly more than the Caps!). Yes there will be a year every so often when attendance is down, but Flyers fans are very well known throughout the NHL as a more than legit fan base.
This simply cannot be said about Caps fans. Jesus Christ, the damn price tags are still hanging off your Ovechkin Jerseys. Show up consistently for the next two or three decades and maybe we'll talk then.

Posted by: PHL09 | January 7, 2009 2:20 AM | Report abuse

Wow really? You Caps fans need to get a clue. D.C. is known for it's crappy fanbase in every sport, and you guys just start having a few sellouts NOW and your dedicated fans? Get real, and get real players for that fact rather than Divechkin. Still sore about the playoffs loss I see so now your gonna make up stories about beating up Flyers fans. Man, you guys are HARDCORE. Your team will go down the tubes in a few years like usual, and so will your fanbase, but the Flyers teams will continue to contend, and the fans will continue to show up. That's the difference between the Capitals and the Flyers, we're just a better team year in and year out

Posted by: pfennigweise22 | January 7, 2009 3:02 AM | Report abuse

Dont worry, if we match-up again in the playoffs, you will see some fights, and I will vouch for the green turtle story. I saw it. They got the brakes beat off'em. Makes it even funnier is that the Captain told his cops to take their time getting over to break it up. Its funny hearing Philly fans swear they support their team when they suck. What a crock.

Posted by: hank7216 | January 7, 2009 3:21 AM | Report abuse

With the passage of time and the realignment of the divisions maybe things have cooled down a bit between the Caps and Flyers (fans and players alike).

Both are good young teams that I expect will meet in the playoffs for years to come. And, as they meet more and more in the playoffs I think a rivalry will develop and/or continue to intensify.

Oh and the Flyers fans do make one good point, Philly is a Flyers town. In other words the Flyers are to Philly what the Redskins are to DC.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFederov | January 7, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

As gocaps2 correctly points out, most or all of the quoted Flyers fans are Johnnie come latelies who don't remember the epic 80s battles. Remember, say, Game 7 in 1988, Murray Craven turning it over near center ice, Murph picking it up and headmanning it to Dale Hunter, who scores the series-winning goal on Hextall? What? You don't know who Murray Craven is? Or Ron Hextall is? Sheesh.

Posted by: lboyd1 | January 7, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Folks - You have a good team. If Theodore keeps it up, a very good team. You played well and I was impressed with the fore-check and battles in the corners. Ovie is a joy to watch. If I were from there, I'd love your team. Grudgingly, and secretly, I may even do so now. But I'm a Philly guy. And we march up and down the coast for the Flyers (and Birds). In town, we are accused of being Stepford Fans because we stand by whatever the Flyers do (not so much the Eagles). We are loud and obnoxious, and obnoxiously proud of it. Caps Suck!

Posted by: SeamanBodine | January 7, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Johnny Come lately's? 2 years ago when the Flyers were in dead last and missed the playoffs their building was dead empty as well... As for fans in general, last year in the playoffs I watched a 10 year old girl being threatened with rape in the Comcast Arena for wearing an Ovechkin jersey. Meanwhile both her parents were Flyers fans! "Take that off of her or we will!" Absolutely disgusting. I'm sure all teams have there select bonehead fans but this was the worst I've ever seen.

Posted by: cappies | January 7, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Wild claims being made here. Some amazing stuff. Stories of so-called "beat downs" with claims that a police captain was overheard telling his charges to "take their time" as if you were standing right by the cop. sure, ok. And a 10 year old girl being threatened... amazing how you knew enough to know the girl's age. And you witnessed this and sat there and did nothing. These claims carry no weight. Same as the claims by Caps fans of an empty Flyers home arena. Never the case as THAT can be refuted. Check your facts before making ridiculous claims. The following goes back to 2001.

Posted by: fallser24 | January 7, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

HAHA! The Caps fans calling out the Flyers over attendance is priceless. In 2006-07 the Flyers miserable season you all speak of, their attendance was 19,282. The Caps attendance was 13,929. Nice try Caps fan(s)!

Posted by: atl8 | January 7, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Add to the fact that the Caps reported attendance is sure to be bolstered by the significant numbers of opposing teams' fans that help fill their building. It's a reality...

Posted by: fallser24 | January 7, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

@PHL09 - I've been showing up to the games for the past 25 years. Where were *you* when the Caps swept the Flyers in 2006-07, and where were you in the 1990-1995 seasons when the Flyers went 0-5 in getting to the playoffs (not 0-5 in the postseason, 0-5 in making the post season...)

Posted by: MikeL-Caps91 | January 7, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

No doubt there are probably 20,000 die hard flyer fans in philly, but the Eagles must still rule because over the 25 yrs. I've been going to Caps games every time they beat the flyers the only retort philly fans can come up with is Go Eagles.

Posted by: ds_kelly | January 7, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

With regards to the Caps/Flyers "rivalry"... it's really not much of one. Sure last year the teams played a seven game playoff series, but the last playoff meeting prior to last year was 1989, just before the Flyers went on a five year run of missing the playoffs entirely (only 5 teams missed the playoffs in most of those years).

For it to be a rivaly, there need to be many more meaningful games between the teams, and, until last season, there were very few.

As for the fans, in terms of rudeness, they're pikers compared to the fans from Quebec City. They used to bus down to the Capital Centre from Quebec City to see the Nords play the Caps, weekend, weeknight, it didn't matter, and they were all boozed up and ready to go by game time. Compared to them, even Ranger fans are classy (and yes, Ranger fans are more rude than Flyer fans too).

I don't mind visiting fans who come to our arena so long as they realize this is not a life/death event and no one's welfare hinges on the outcome. Most Flyer fans have this part nailed down. Ranger fans don't. As for the Nordique fans... well, their team left town for Colorado...

Posted by: MikeL-Caps91 | January 7, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Caps fans are ridiculous. Go ahead - try to create some rivalry where there isn't one - we don't care at all. The Southeast is an absolute joke. Atlanta, Florida and Tampa Bay are barely teams and the entire division is a catastrophe. The Flyers have directly competed against New York, New Jersey and Pittsburgh for DECADES. Those are rivalries. Saying we have a rivalry with the Caps is like saying we have a rivalry with the freaking Thrashers. Not.

I've been to every Flyers game in DC for the past 10 years and for at least 8 of those years Flyers fans outnumbered Caps fans by huge margins. I remember one year (2004?) when the entire arena was orange and black. It wasn't until they started winning that there was ANY fan base to speak of. Fair weather jerks from the suburbs - that's all Caps fans are. Watch if Ovechkin gets injured how dramatically attendance will drop. It will quickly resemble a Wizards game. Losers.

Posted by: dylcore | January 7, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

That's BS.. Caps fans and flyers fans hate eachother.. I loved seeing the fear as I was exiting the arena on all the faces of the flyers fans.. one couple in front of me refused to let go of eachother and had their heads on a constant swivel. I almost felt bad for them. Another group of younger fans was pushed and put in their places for trying flyers chants in the stairwells. Keep your antics in your arena. You're not welcome in DC.

Posted by: random19 | January 7, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

This article is good but I think that it doesn't mention the most important thing, which was after the game. Congratulations were offered all around and everyone walked out content, if not happy. I thought that was very stand-up on the part of Caps fans, who could have tried gloating but didn't.

Posted by: unstablefan | January 7, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

If I read or hear another crack about Caps fans wearing Ovechkin jerseys with price tags hanging off of them I am going to puke. Some 20 year old kid had the nerve to point to the Old Caps jersey I was wearing and say "see he's a real Cap fan." Meanwhile he was wearing a Briere jersey. Of course Briere has played for them for decades because Ovechkin was speared twice by Briere when he...Oh yeah WAS A FRIGGIN SABRE TWO YEARS AGO. Both of my sons have been cheering for the Caps since I had to put my leg across the seat at the Cap Centre, and then MCI, so it fold up with them in it. They have old Blue, Black, and White jerseys, but prefer to wear their new Red ones. Doesn't make them less of a fan. By the way, Verizon center was MUCH MUCH louder last night than Wachovia was on SATURDAY December 20th. That is comparing sitting up in my 400 section Season tickets to the seats I had 4 rows behind the Caps bench where it should be louder just because of placement. We do have a lot of bandwagon fans right now, so what, so does most teams outside of Canada.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 7, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Every punk Philly fan I've ever come across has been made to shut their fat mouths real quick with these words.. "STFU the Eagles have never EVER won the Super Bowl"

Posted by: natmagic | January 7, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

dylcore......."The Southeast is an absolute joke. Atlanta, Florida and Tampa Bay are barely teams and the entire division is a catastrophe."

Would you like me to tell you who has won The Cup the last few years from the S.E.D??? Not quite the joke you seem to believe it is. Philly fans ARE obnoxious!! All Sports fans are obnoxious. That's what makes them FANatics. I believe the Caps time has come (and people realize that and show up) like it or not. I have lived here for 30 years and I agree we're very fair wetaher (Skins aside), but there are TRUE Caps fans here...DONT MISTAKE THAT!!!

Posted by: j3rockstar | January 7, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Every rivalry ebbs and flows. Remember how the Redskins Cowboys wasn't as much of a rivalry for while?

For the Philly fans to say it isn't, clearly means they were not around for the joyous days of the Patrick Division. The Flyers really were Public Enemy number one until the dreaded Penisguins started owning the Caps.

And as much as Flyers and Caps fans may or may not dislike each other, we at least have common ground in that we can all agree that the Penisguins suck and Cindy Crosby sucks.

Posted by: VeloStrummer | January 7, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I bet the Green Turtle is some "alternative" bar and some in-bred Caps fans couldn't find their sisters to help them "relax" so they dragged an outnumbered group of Flyers fans in. Real tough. Win a Cup. Last time the Cup was raised in Washington? 19NEVER. Punks. I'm not throwing any Eagles stuff either. I don't have to. After all, the Nationals will begin stealing paychecks in a few months. The CHAMPS will soon begin beating on them too.

Posted by: two5tengame | January 7, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I went to a Flyers game and sat in suite during 06-07 season, early. I thought I was going to see a full house, full of raucous fans, based on this reputation I'd always heard about. There were about 8000 people there and it was like a church. I was shocked. I used to go to Eagles Skins games and sit up in corner of Vet. It was great as we used to be able to spread out in the empty seats (and always watch Skins win). I've been going to Caps game since '74; used to go to about 30 games a year when single. Due to other obligations life brings, stopped going but kept following. Went in on season ticket plan this year because I love the exciting young team. Does that make me bad fan? Exciting, winning fans have a way to fill up arenas.
The SE division argument is lame. Philly has played more games against SE teams this year than Caps. Also, SE Division has produced last 2 eastern conf. cup winners, unlike rest of east, which has only the Devils.
Philly better get used to playing the Caps as both teams look like the class of the East and may well play in East finals.

Posted by: jamesacarroll | January 7, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Caps fan is priceless! just priceless! Keep pumping out your chest! You're right Caps fan, you've been there from the start. You guys have been packing that arena for decades(just look at the attendance figures)! You could teach a dog loyalty! And you're so tough too. I for one am way to scared to go down DC. Wow that place is tough!

Posted by: PHL09 | January 7, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

All I know is that I've been sitting in the same seat for almost a decade. In that time there have been a lot of big crowds, a lot of not-so-big crowds, and more than a couple of nights where I could have personally greeted everyone in the arena between warm-ups and the opening face-off. Recent overall attendance figures are nothing for a Caps fan to brag about.

That said, the folks who were rightuflly disgruntled and refused to "waste" their money on an admittedly inferior product for more than a few years comprise a heavy percentage of the people filling seats that were formerly vacant. Just because they haven't been there in a while doesn't mean they're new to the game. I, for one, welcome them back, along with those that do still have that whole "price tag" thing going on.

Everybody, please stick around. It's a lot more fun with all of you there!

Let's go Caps!

Posted by: Goat_74 | January 7, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if the "chick" sitting next to Mr. Serret at last years playoff game was his wife. This is a city with folks from all over the country and there are many intergrated sports realtionships and marriages in this town. There is always some dislike and violance that occurs come game time.

Posted by: bucktret1 | January 7, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I've held the Flyers in the strongest contempt since sometime in the late 80s (I was 5 or 6). I'm not even sure what caused it, since I was too young to be allowed to stay up for most of the '88 playoff games.

In any case, I always thought it was a combination of old Patrick division anger, total loathing of Eric Lindros, and the aforementioned disdain borne in my youth. Most of my friends that like the Caps hate the Penguins more; I've been the outlier in that regard. While I personally hate the Flyers more than any other NHL team, I would stop short of calling them a real rival for the Caps organization (especially since divisional realignment). The Penguins are #1, and after that it probably varies. People who remember the Patrick division probably lean towards the Flyers, Rangers, and Devils; newer fans might go with Carolina.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 7, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

My hatred of the Flyers goes back to the 70's. Had tickets at ice level, so I could watch up close and personal as Bobby Clarke would spear someone and then run and hide behind Shultz or Saleski or one of the other "bullies."

However, I have to give Flyer fans some credit. One year I got to sit at the old Spectrum and watch the Caps eliminate the Flyers from the playoffs. Toward the end of the game, the fans stopped booing their own team for the moment and started a chant of "Beat New York" to encourage the Caps to beat the Islanders in the next round. I thought that showed some class.

Posted by: StevefromSacto | January 7, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

man, you've gotta be a real loser when the best you can come up with is attacking another team's fans.

i'm sure the flyers fans were in the arena even during the lockout season. they're obviously THAT hardcore.

what's even more interesting is there are several pathetic losers from philly who have nothing better to do with their time but whine about caps fans in a Washington newspaper discussion forum.

pathetic...

Posted by: jjhare | January 7, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

i'm with jjhare. if you flyers fans don't care about the caps and its not a rivalry as you are claiming, what the heck are you doing on the washington post website talking trash? go to philly.com and wallow in that human sesspool of flyers fans.

Posted by: nwilson2 | January 7, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Hate, violence... such big words for what occurs at North American sports facilities. Go to a soccer game in Europe or South America. Then you'll see what real hate is.

Even NFL rivalries are nothing. C'mon, you guys tailgate together!

American sports fans are extremely civilized and the talk of hate and violence is amusing to me.

There's a reason there are fences and police in riot gear between rival fan sections and the playing field at soccer matches around the world.

What you're talking about here is child's play. Geeky white colar workers pretending to be tough. Even the toughest of Flyers fans would get their knickers in a bunch were they to end up among rival fans wearing a wrong jersey in Europe or South America.

Anyway, feel free to continue to pretend and amuse me further.

Posted by: ranndino | January 7, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I doubt anyone could say the Southeast division has been historically weak. Sure there are some weak teams in there now, but since the Flyers last Finals appearance (1997 and counting) only three teams have won the Stanley Cup from the east: New Jersey, Tampa Bay and Carolina. Lo and behold, two are from the Southeast.

I suspect it is very likely the next Stanley Cup winner from the East might also come from the Southeast division...

Posted by: MikeL-Caps91 | January 7, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

It really isn't valid to compare fan support in DC with Philly. Virginia, Maryland, and DC residents come from all over the country and all over the world to work with the Federal government, foreign embassies, or military support organizations. They come here by choice because there are opportunities and it is a far better place to live than anywhere in the deteriorating rust belt. But, they bring their lingering loyalties with them from awful places like Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo. Eventually, those loyalties are overcome, but it can take quite a while.
People who live in the Philadelphia area are there because they just don't know any better. Maybe their fathers worked on the docks or in a garment factory and the only aspiration they have is to do the same. Most of them have never had an opportunity to live anywhere else or even considered that there was anything better out there. Their team loyalty is based in ignorance. It's really kind of sad when you think about it.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | January 7, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

This article is part truth. The fact is that an old time rivalry is being reborn and that happened because of last years playoffs. I attended game 3 in Philly last year wearing my Ovechkin jersey and if Dan Steinberg thinks Philly fans are no different than other fans then I dare him to go there wearing the other teams colors and see if he can sit down the next day and write this garbage again! Dan, time to come back to the real world you space cadet! Philadelphia fans might not hate everyone but everyone hates Philadelphia fans because of how they act when they are home! Snowballs at Santa, batteries at opposing players, booing the Canadian anthem... need I say more???

Posted by: james1971 | January 7, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Wiley_One1, it is wrong to make blanket statements about people. You don't know everyone in Philly and what their backgrounds and aspirations might be.

You say, "awful places like Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo..." What makes where you come from so great compared to these places?

You also say, "Their team loyalty is based on ignorance," but you don't know what it is to be a fan.

Staying loyal to one's team

Posted by: dd421 | January 7, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Like jjhare says, "you've gotta be a real loser when the best you can come up with is attacking another team's fans."

Posted by: dd421 | January 7, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Let's count stanley cups between the two teams, that'll settle the arguement of the better team. How many have you guys won down in DC? Oh yea...

As for the fans, well, let's look at attendance numbers. Once again, Flyers win that one. Caps lose, and so do your fans. No matter what you tell yourself, you lose in every category. Your team might of won a cup if it were based on style points, like figure skating. Divechkin is great at that

This is a hockey discussion, and the caps lose in every fashion. BTW, I'm sorry if I wasn't born until 1987 to miss the intense rivalry in the 80's. I've been a Flyers fan my entire life, and the Capitals just aren't a big deal to me. I'd rather beat the Rangers any day. Stop making up stories about how tough you guys are, it's really lame. I'm sure the guy talking about beating up Flyers fans is a tag-wearer, and probably is about 130 lbs soaking wet. Talking trash about how tough you are on the internet is not badass, contrary to what you might think

Posted by: pfennigweise22 | January 7, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Awesome, pfennigweise22!

Posted by: dd421 | January 7, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

This is like us counting SB Trophies. You weren't born until 87. So what do you know about Stanley Cups? The answer is the same as us, Nothing.

Ohh attendance Numbers. Get a clue. Read slowly. We don't waste our money on tickets for a bad team. It doesn't make us anymore or less loyal or not fans. Why am I going to waste my hard earned money on a bad product. It's pretty simple and despite what you think is true everywhere. Even in Philly. Sixers attendance is and example. The Eagles in the early 80's had a 2/3's full vet. So get of your high horse. I am glad the Caps aren't a big deal to you. It will be less painful when they.................

Posted by: JDB1 | January 7, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

If the NHL hadn't realigned, this would be more of a rivalry like it was back in the 80s and early 90s.

And beyond the season ticket holders, MCI/Verizon Center was a quiet barn after the Cup run in '98, crept up a little when Jagr was here, then fell silent until Ovechkin arrived. I've been in DC since 2000 and went to a lot of games, not just when the Flyers came, cause I like to watch hockey. It's good to see the Caps doing well cause I want hockey to do well overall and in DC.

Philly doesn't have this problem, and yes, I was there when the Caps, like everyone, else, beat us down in 2006-07. It hurt, but it wasn't the first time I've seen the Flyers play lousy. I saw some bad hockey growing up but never stopped caring or watching. Caps fans usually come in waves, which is currently a high one.
I think it needs to stay this high for the Caps to become a pillar of the NHL which would be a great thing.

And for the dude who used the whole "Eagles never won a Super Bowl" line, you sound like a Cowboys fan. Get some new material.

Posted by: CMc62480 | January 7, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

so you're cgetting on people for bringing up superbowls, yet are doing the same with Cups.

I agree it's childish, but please don't be hypocritical.

1 more thing don't ever refer to us as Poke fans. After all They're our rivals, Not yours. Wait doesn't that sound familar.

Posted by: JDB1 | January 7, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

RE: "Ohh attendance Numbers. Get a clue. Read slowly. We don't waste our money on tickets for a bad team. It doesn't make us anymore or less loyal or not fans. Why am I going to waste my hard earned money on a bad product. It's pretty simple and despite what you think is true everywhere"

I don't care if my team was the worst team in the NHL, I would pay money just to see my team play hockey! Hockey, there you go. That's the point of going to games...to see a hockey game

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | January 7, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

"Ohh attendance Numbers. Get a clue. Read slowly. We don't waste our money on tickets for a bad team. It doesn't make us anymore or less loyal or not fans. Why am I going to waste my hard earned money on a bad product."

That's the definition of a fair-weather fan. Embrace it if you want -- there's nothing wrong with refusing to spend hard-earned money on a poor product -- but accept that that's what you are.

Posted by: simpleton1 | January 7, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

dd421 - Then there must be no mirrors in your house, in the homes of most Caps fans, and in the homes of most of the media as well since all of them attack the Philly fan. Hypocrites...

Posted by: fallser24 | January 7, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Capitals are to the Philadelphia Flyers like Jordan Staal is to Eric Staal: A talented, albeit annoying, younger brother with serious envy issues, that has come close but never tasted the success that the more talented older brother has. Call us in 5 years. We'll revisit the issue.

Posted by: K-Primo | January 8, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Give Philly fans some credit...afterall, they DID boo Sarah Palin. I have to admit, I grew to like Philly fans after that.

Posted by: pixargeek | January 8, 2009 1:36 AM | Report abuse

All you people on here who say the Flyers fans disappeared in the 2006-07 debacle

Philadelphia No. 7

Where is Wahsington at??????? No. 27

Seriously, it's the internet, at least try and look stuff up before posting your ignorant opinions and looking like a fool.

Posted by: FlyGuy1 | January 8, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

As a lifelong Caps fan I can honestly say there is no team I hate more than the Flyers and that includes their fans. I got into it (verbally) with a few Philly fans the other night.

And to those who say we're not the Flyer's biggest rival, that's fine. I look at it like the UNC, Duke, and Maryland situation. Duke fans hate UNC the most, but Maryland fans hate Duke the most.

Flyers fans you can claim whatever rival you want, we still hate you the most. And even though some of the people filling our seats may be on the bandwagon realize this. It's our arena now, don't expect to come down here and push us around without getting pushed back.

LET'S GO CAPS

ps Mike Gartner is the man

Posted by: C-A-P-Scapscapscaps | January 9, 2009 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Philly's fans act like it's surprising that attendance was low. When you lose a lot that happens. There are very few venues where people will religious go see a loser. Hockey, Football, Basketball, it doesn't matter. Winning raises attendance. I dislike philly and pitt fans the most because of the way they act and because for years they were allowed to act that way and walk out of our arena with a win. That isn't the case now. Which is why Caps pride(and attendance) is on the rise.

People who claim their fanbase is better and no matter what our fans support our team are kidding themselves. Sure every team has it's number of diehards. God love em! But without exception if a team starts sucking, so will attendance.

Posted by: buschman_007 | January 9, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah and the urinal pictures are hilarious! Kudos to whoever is doing that. :)

Posted by: buschman_007 | January 9, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

No one has to look any further than what is happening in Chicago. Always considered one of the great hockey cities in North America (original 6- the whole 9 yards). They had garbage team for a long, long time. Their attendance was always near bottom of league. Guess what? They have a good, young team with lots of exciting players and they're winning. Place is packed every night now.

Posted by: jamesacarroll | January 9, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

""No one has to look any further than what is happening in Chicago.""

The situation in Chicago is a bit different. The Wirtz family has owned that team for like forever. The owner's reputation is that of a dollar over all else. "Dollar Bill" (owner Bill Wirtz) as Chicagoans call him. He's so tight that he will not allow local TV broadcasts of Hawks home games, to entice fans to buy tickets. They stay away in protest. Phillies fans did that here after the 1995 season stoppage. And resentment lingered because fans perceived ownership as not committed. However, fans were very vocal on local sportstalk. And they supported the Phillies at away games. But not as much at home. But when the new ballpark opened, and GM Pat Gillik was hired and he made some interesting moves, fans believed in the committment. And filled the park. Point here is the vocal criticism. Of all the teams. Fans here in Philly don't fade away. They get POed and let management AND the players know. Former Capital Keith Jones is a personality here both on Cable and on the radio (610 WIP). He's mentioned on many occasions the impact of the Philly fan atmosphere here in Philly AND in opposing arenas. The attention it generates etc etc. As a fan myself, I can't blame Caps fans for not spending hard earned money on a perennially poor product. But maybe management perceives the Cap fan as indifferent or apathetic and feels no motive to commit to competing EVERY season. No there won't be great success EVERY season, but if the fans believe that management is trying, getting them to support the cause might be easier. At least that is my take here in Philly. Flyers Management has tried. Going back to the beginning. That's why season ticket sales are at arena capacity and why the fans travel well. Maybe a future generation of Cap fans will be able to go to Carolina and take over a Canes game! :-)
I guess that the criticism that the Cap fan is getting from the Philly fan is this from this new puffed out chest attitude coming from the Caps team and the fans about this hatred angle. Not that I am an authority on the matter, but the Flyers main rival is and will always be the Rangers. Devils and Islanders a notch below. Mainly because of proximity and familiarity. Isles rivalry is dormant but when they're good, they are right up there. Pens...? Only when they are competitive, irrevelant otherwise. And the Pens are not competitive more than they are. I go back. I remember when Rod Langway was a Canadien. When Dale Hunter was a Nordique. Tommy Rowe was at one time the highest achieving US born NHLer. When TV ads ran on Local TV here in Philly featuring Bobby Clarke and Paul Homgren telling Flyers fans what numbers to call to buy tickets to Caps home games. Philly fans have that history on OUR side. With that history and knowledge comes the reaction to Cap fan hatred. The question is: How long has the average Cap fan been a legit Cap fan?? It spans generations here in Philly...

Posted by: fallser24 | January 10, 2009 4:15 AM | Report abuse