Caps and Wiz: One Up, One Down

(Ovie photo by Jason Cohn - Reuters. Epic Vale photo by Chris McGrath - Getty)

Surely I wasn't the only Washington-area resident flipping back and forth between the two Comcast SportsyNet stations around 9:40 last night, as both the Wiz and the Caps took close, high-scoring games into the final minutes of the final period. And surely I wasn't the only Washington-area resident who felt full confidence that the Capitals would win and the Wizards would lose.

I mean, yeah, obviously Quentin Richardson would hit fall-away three-pointers with Nick Young in his face. And sure, centering passes from Alex Ovechkin would go off Pittsburgh skates and into the net. That's just the way things go nowadays. Caps Win, Wiz Lose.

In fact, D.C.'s two professional winter franchises have played on the same night 15 times this season. The Caps have gone 10-5 on those nights. The Wizards have gone 1-14.

Statistically speaking, it's far more likely that a Presidential election in my lifetime will have been won by a black man than it is that the Wizards will win on the same night as the Caps.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 15, 2009; 10:04 AM ET
Categories:  Caps , Morning Look , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Suggs on Geisinger: "Hilarious"
Next: The Racing Presidents' Inaugural Ball Schedule

Comments

Considering the quality of each's DC team's opposition, yeah, you might have been the only one flipping back and forth.

Posted by: Section117 | January 15, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

19.9% chance at the top pick - all that matters for the rest of this Wizards season.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 15, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Having two TVs, the only choice is volume....but as a Wizards blogger, I'm not ashamed to say that I was listening to the Caps.

Posted by: truthaboutit | January 15, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Something tells me Caps fans were not switching to the Wizards game.. especially when it's against the Penguins.

So you likely were the only one :)

Posted by: Semvechkin | January 15, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm a Wiz fan, but I was watching the Caps game last night. For the Wiz games just flip by at the 4 min mark of the 4th qtr. You can watch them collapse down the stretch. Hey it's better then spending 2 1/2 hrs of your time watching this terrible team play. Hopefully the Caps bandwagon will increase in the next few months. This is the only local major sports team to root for in this town right now. Hey Dan, you forgot to mention the Hoyas big win last night.

Posted by: wizfan81 | January 15, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Then again....perhaps Nick Young is becoming worth the price of admission...even in a loss....

Posted by: truthaboutit | January 15, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse