Chris Cooley Endorses Vinny Cerrato

I stupidly forgot that even though the Redskins have stopped playing, their players have continued to give enlightening radio interviews. Two keepers already this week. In the first, Chris Cooley concluded his season of Elliot in the Morning appearances on DC101, and after the usual "what went wrong" patter, Elliot eventually asked whether Vinny Cerrato was the problem. Cooley then gave the most enthusiastic defense of the Skins' PR boss I've heard from a player.

That seemed especially notable in the week after that AP story led with "A good way to get a Washington Redskins player to clam up is to ask about Vinny Cerrato." Cooley didn't clam up.

"No, I DON'T think Vinny's a problem," Cooley said. "I think he's done a lot of great things. And I know you can point your finger at the bad things that he's done over the last few years, and I think that's very easy for anyone to say, 'Well, look at Adam Archuleta, or Brandon Lloyd, and what kind of choices were those?' But I think you can look at a lot of great decisions that he's made over the last five years. I'm here because Vinny was here. Vinny picked me...."

"I think Vinny's done a good job. I don't think that there's ever been a question, through the last five years, that this team has or hasn't had the talent. We've known that we've had the talent to win football games, that hasn't been a question. And I don't want to say that there was poor coaching this year--I mean, it's a first-year offense--or in any year. But we're capable, and I think I'll leave it at that."

Cooley also was asked to offer some thoughts on how he'd handle the roster were he the GM. He chose not to go with the apocalyptic approach.

"This isn't my job," he said. "My job is just to play....I think we have to add depth on the offensive and defensive lines. Without saying anything bad about any of our players, I think we had a depth problem there throughout the year. Obviously in Baltimore we were almost gonna play Todd Yoder as a guard in a game, so I think at that point you have to add some depth to those spots. I think we have to keep progressing offensively, and I don't know if that's gonna take other players, but that's gonna take a timing and rhythm between Jason [Campbell] and the rest of the receivers."

[Speaking of the lines, during his day-after recap, Fred Smoot was asked about the defense's lack of sacks this year. He wasn't trying to throw anyone under the Hoorayride, but this is what Smoot said: "That's where games are won at. It's rarely won at the back end, it's always won in the trenches. For the most part, the guys did a good job, but you know if you're gonna look into the numbers, Pittsburgh had 50-odd sacks and all that stuff."]

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 7, 2009; 12:08 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Riley Cote Discusses His Brashear Fights
Next: CSN Broadcast Breaks Down LeBron's Traveling History

Comments

Well then I guess Cooley enjoys playing for a .500 team that might squeak into the playoffs once every few years and is one and done.

Posted by: virtueandvice | January 7, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

What do you expect him to say? Might as well asl him what he thinks of Zorn, better yet, what he thinks of Snyder. OF COURSE he's gonna say it's all great - he's under contract. DUH!

Posted by: vmrg1974 | January 7, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

where is the article about portis on the john thompson show where he basically stated he was pissed that after 9 games he was 5 yards away from 1000 and over the next 7 games couldnt get 505 yds to get to 1500. he was pissed because they were tryin to win and not get him his 1500 yds? helllooooooooo dan can we please get a blog about that. i would love to hear what you think.

Posted by: MondoTE11 | January 7, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

"he was pissed because they were tryin to win and not get him his 1500 yds?"

No, he was pissed because the offense was able to put up nearly 1000 yards in half a season, then couldn't put up 500 yards in the second half.

He was pissed because the offense failed in the second half of the season...miserably. It had nothing to do with his personal gain. He gets no bonus for 1500 yards. He made the pro bowl regardless. He simply used that as a measuring stick to show how pathetic the offense became in the 2nd half of the season.

Posted by: psps23 | January 7, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

he was pissed because they were tryin to win and not get him his 1500 yds?

Posted by: MondoTE11 | January 7, 2009 12:39 PM

Um, no, that's not at all what he meant. And if you truly think differently, I suggest you seek professional help immediately.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 7, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Portis wanted his 1500 yards regardless. He's an egomaniac and is Snyder's pet. If Zorn said no, Portis would've been back on the radio nagging and crying about the genius.

How come everywhere Portis has played those teams have been mediocre? Probably the reason why Shanahan had absolutely no problem in letting the egomaniac go.

Portis wanted his 1500 regardless of the result on the last game of the season.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | January 7, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vmrg1974 | January 7, 2009 12:36 PM

So you're saying Cooley really hates Cerrato but says the exact opposite because he's under contract? Get a clue.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 7, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Barno:

Keep kissing that Skins' rear, OK? I heard the interview. CP is a self-involved dope, and it's pretty apparent that he has no idea how to keep his mouth shut. Running backs can be replaced; he's not a game-breaker anymore. Darned shame his contract basically means the Skins are stuck with him. He was swimming deeply in Lake Me in that interview; come on.

Posted by: mdean3 | January 7, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

How come everywhere Portis has played those teams have been mediocre?

Posted by: vmrg1974 | January 7, 2009 12:59 PM

Yeah must be Portis's fault that the Redskins didn't make the playoffs this year. Must be his fault in 06 too, when he missed most of the season. When we went to the playoffs after the 05 and 07 seasons, he deserves no credit either.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 7, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vmrg1974 | January 7, 2009 12:59 PM

Yeah I'm sure Shanahan had no problem letting Portis go had nothing to do with Champ Bailey and a 2nd round pick. No, it must have been because the team was mediocre with Portis, who at the time had the most productive first two seasons for a running back in NFL history.

Wow there is really a lot of constipation of the brain and diarrhea of the mouth on this blog...

Posted by: Barno1 | January 7, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Barno:

Posted by: mdean3 | January 7, 2009 1:02 PM

If Portis is such a me-first player then riddle me this: Why is he the best blocking RB in the NFL? Why would he go all out to help protect his quarterback if it's not going to help his stats? Hmmm?

Posted by: Barno1 | January 7, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Barno:

Did you hear the interview?

Posted by: mdean3 | January 7, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

"Running backs can be replaced; he's not a game-breaker anymore."

I agree. We'd be much better off with Ladell Betts and his 3.4 yards per carry or Shaun Alexander and his 2.8 yards per carry this season. We have such a stellar offensive line, any RB could put up the numbers Portis did this season.....

Posted by: psps23 | January 7, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1

-------

It's a widely known fact that pass-protecting and picking up a blitz automatically adds 10 yards rushing to your season totals. Clearly he was doing it to get to 1500 yards.

Posted by: psps23 | January 7, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

So . . . the fact that he can block (the best in the league? questionable . . . ) means he's not a selfish dope? I'm inclined to judge the actual words that come out of his actual mouth.

Posted by: mdean3 | January 7, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm inclined to judge the actual words that come out of his actual mouth.

Posted by: mdean3

-------

And I'm inclined to judge him based on his play on the football field.

Posted by: psps23 | January 7, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

And I'm inclined to judge him based on his play on the football field.

Posted by: psps23 | January 7, 2009 1:33 PM

So there's no level of whining, back-biting, and under-the-bus-tossing from CP that will change your view? Interesting . . .

Posted by: mdean3 | January 7, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mdean3

------

Sure, there's a level. He's far from crossed it. All CP is is a frustrated football player, and rightfully so right now.

Steven Jackson publicly called out his coach early in the season as well. You going to call him a cancer and call for the Rams to replace him?

Posted by: psps23 | January 7, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Again, for crying out loud, WHY ARE WE STILL TALKING About THE LOWER POTOMAC INDIGENOUS PEOPLES?! Am I mistaken or is their season over? Has the 'Bog been taken over like 980 and it's now "The Lower Potomac Indigenous Peoples 24/7 (Even in March!)"?

Why don't we talk more about how great the Caps are doing or how badly the Zardos are doing or about the NFL PLAYOFFS?!! (thank you, Jim Mora) instead of the perpetual "overcharging for a substandard product," middling, hegemonic team from Ashburn?

Posted by: playahatah | January 7, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Cooley probably means exactly what he said. So does Smoot. Just because players know a lot more about the team than the fans do, you can't expect them to agree on everything.

Or anything, for that matter.

Cerrato's record includes a number of good and bad moves since he's been in Washington. Some moves that looked good to most observers when they were made -- such as signing Jason Taylor -- didn't work out. Other moves that looked like dead losers turned out better than anybody expected. Drafting Chris Horton, for instance, who wasn't even rated the best safety on his own college team.

Smoot points the finger (not accusingly, but he points it) at the front of the defense for the lack of sacks. But any defensive coach will tell you that the majority of sacks come when the QB can't find an open receiver. So maybe we should give more credit to the Pitt secondary for the team's sack success.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 7, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Pretty medium. For Cooley.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | January 7, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse