Duke Fans Reclaim Their House

With the exciting back and forth action of the Duke-Maryland game having ended after the pre-game layup lines, the announcers were left to make repeated jokes about Greivis Vasquez's relatively benign comments saying that Cameron is "his house." But mere announcer comments weren't enough, and so there was also a segment in which Duke students were able to directly deal with this infidel and his shocking affront to decency. They managed to do so in just about the most humorless, boring and non-clever manner possible.

I mean, couldn't one of them have said, "Yo Greivis, just a heads-up, all the couches in this house are flame-retardant." Instead, this is what we got.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 26, 2009; 11:26 AM ET
Categories:  College Basketball , Terps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: BALLY*: The Collin Balester Q&A
Next: Garrett Mock Has an Interesting Grandma

Comments

I don't care what ANYBODY SAYS! Vasquez is a damn retard and deserves everything he gets! He is juat as bad as Nic Caner-Medley!

I, personally, can't wait for his Prima Donna self to finally be rid from this team!

Posted by: dupa3 | January 26, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Undecided majors don't have a say.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | January 26, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

As a Duke grad, I did find that segment depressing, as well. I'd give a little credit to the "Who's Greivis Vasquez?" guy if I didn't think that he really didn't know who Greivis Vasquez was...

Posted by: TheFingerman | January 26, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Didja know that Richard Nixon, Kenneth Starr, Eric Cartman's mom, and Satan are all Duke graduates? Ok, so I made up the part about Cartman's mom...

Posted by: jhorstma | January 26, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

The funniest thing about that video is the score, 40-15. Maryland scored 15 points in the first half. Gary Williams half time speech must have been legendary, they burned the nets for 29 in the second half.

Posted by: inchesfromyourface | January 26, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

this is not a good year for DMV area basketball... maybe the terps will beat duke later this year in Wiz Cavs crab dribble fashion...

Posted by: trolly_time | January 26, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Terps, please move back to Cole.

Posted by: JDP_ | January 26, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

As a Maryland and North Carolina alum (which both have more recent national championships than Duke), all I can say is I'm glad I didn't spend $160,000 on an education that prepared me to say: "No, this is OUR house," which is the equivalent of "Nuh uh! YOU are," or "I know you are but what am I!" What a lame bunch of dim-witted children of entitlement. Thank god for state schools.

Posted by: TerpHeel | January 26, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

"relatively benign?" Vasquez needed 5 more points to be nine...nice job terps

Posted by: batbatsel | January 26, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

So I guess they should chant F U Greivis like MD did to JJ Reddick. Or maybe throw a bottle of water and hit a players mother like MD fans did to Carlos Boozer's mother. The Duke students may be boring but they do have class unlike the spike haired retards who flow down to College Park from New York and New Jersey.

Posted by: bigtom34 | January 26, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

The dookies are so classy. Who could forget the jeers of "Crack Head Parents" they reined down on Juan Dixon? And calling somebody a "retard" really proves your classy point. I am just glad to find another bandwagon dook fan, because clearly bigtom did not attend the school. They don't teach brilliance like "flow down" at any ACC school

Posted by: jpfterps | January 26, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Ignoring all the comments about fans on this blog, the bottom line is that the Duke players outplayed Maryland so completely that they just quit. At least you can say that the Duke players keep hustling even when they are losing. Even the Maryland players acknowledged that they were outhustled.

Posted by: sportsfan2 | January 26, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

The crackhead parents thing was in Charlottesville not Durham, unless you are in fact Jayson Blair.

Then again, in the immortal words of Homer Simpson, you can use facts to prove anything.

Posted by: LordoftheOnionRings | January 26, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Some corrections are in order:

Richard Nixon and Ken Starr graduated from Duke Law School, not the university. I have no idea about Satan.

And the "crackheaad parents" cheer came at UVa, not Duke. Duke prefers the chant "not our rival" at any Maryland team or player.

Posted by: TheFingerman | January 26, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

MD loses by 41 and this is what you have to talk about?!?!

Posted by: JM256 | January 26, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

bigtom34

Class? I remember Gerald Henderson elbowing Tyler Hansborough in the nose because they were getting blown out by NC. Yes that was classy.

Why fight people you dont know? I mean do you call wrong numbers and argue with them too based on where they are from or what school they attended. I have nothing against duke students former or present but I love to see duke's basketball team lose because they always get the calls. Remember the phantom 5th foul called on MD's Lonnie Baxter while posting up Boozer that basically gave Duke the final four game against MD in 2001? That took away MD's chance for a finals appearance in 2001. Remember Latiner stomping on a player while he was on the ground and no tech was called? No ejection, nothing. The only reason I like the 1999 Connecticut huskies and the 2002 Indiana Hoosiers is because they put beat the pampered overrated duke blue devils. Also kudos to the 1990-91 UNLV running rebels for mopping up the floor with them too. Wasn't Bobby Hurley from New Jersey?

Posted by: ged0386 | January 26, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the Duke students had nothing to say because they were camping out for the Wake and UNC games, NOT the Maryland game. The announcers forgot to mention that part. So they could probably care less that Vasquez had something dumb to say and were worried about an opponent that will actually put up a fight.

Scoreboard.

Posted by: KatiePW | January 26, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I was at every MD game with Juan Dixon and the Duke fans never chanted crackhead parents.

Posted by: KatiePW | January 26, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

it will be fun to watch duke bow down early again in the tournament. no inside game and a lack of rebounding will cost them this year. how great was it to watch joe alexander dunk all over duke last year at the verizon center! 2nd round exit.......

Posted by: capsfansince74 | January 27, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

funny to read the Duke fans go on about the score and the actual game. I don't think they get the DC Sports Bog - probably cause the directions aren't in their cheer sheets.

Posted by: tedunni1 | January 27, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse