Jim Zorn Listens to Dr. Laura

Dr. Laura: Zorn's a fan. (Reuters file photo)

One of my favorite press-box diversions this Redskins season was the old "Guess Jim Zorn's Political Inclinations" game. On the one hand, he's best friends with a prominent Republican voice (Steve Largent), goes mountain biking with a White House entourage and booted an Obama organizer out of Redskins Park. On the other hand, he spent years in the crunchy Northwest, went to school at Cal Poly Pomona, once said he might have been an artist if he didn't enter coaching and has performed with a symphony. I might be trafficking in some stereotypes here, but I think there were enough clues that could have encouraged backers of most political stripes.

Well, I'm calling an end to the game, after reading Zorn's lengthy and predictably fascinating health and wellness Q&A at the Redskins Blog. There are plenty of highlights--Jim Zorn loves snowboarding!--but to me, the standout quote was this:

"I've heard on the radio Dr. Laura Schlessinger -- she is a talk show host that has some real sense, I admire her a lot -- and I always remember her saying, 'The only irresistible impulse a person has is the one he hasn't resisted.' There's a lot of people around our country that are making excuses for doing the wrong thing, and we live in a victim society. We're always the victim. 'I don't' have enough time?' What do you mean, 'I don't have enough time?' If you are going to achieve the decision you make, you make time.' "

So yeah. Not a lot of liberals tossing around Dr. Laura quotes and "victim society" references. So much for that game. My two other favorite passages from the interview:

On life balance: "When I'm out of the building I'm not isolated, I don't have an isolated life. If I didn't have as active a family I would have to choose some friends that were active as well to help me be active. I've said this in my coaching, there's this idea about acting medium. Part of it is not be so self-consumed with any one area that the scale is so tipped one way that you become an unhealthy person. I believe in a balanced lifestyle spiritually, physically, emotionally, socially ... all of those things create an enjoyable interesting life.

"I spend so much time at football that when I'm away I devote all my other time to not-football. Because while I'm here, and even at times when I'm not here, as a head coach I have to be thinking about the responsibilities of what it is to be a head coach, and there's a lot of decision-making in and out of this building. When I get a chance to get away I'm totally away."

On his sporting pursuits: "In Seattle I played softball. We had a softball team, and I was a coach. Stump Mitchell, he also played on our team. We won some games. There's a lot of things that I did that I don't do anymore. I snowboard. You would know me as a snowboarder. My problem as a snowboard[er] in recent history is my ankle. I could go snowboarding for a maximum of about three hours and then my ankle is about done. I was snowboarding when I would be the only guy on the whole hill with a snowboard. I kind of enjoyed that new idea. I'm not easily embarrassed over trying to learn a new skill and you have to go through a learning process-snowboarding, there is a lot of pain involved if you are just starting to learn it.

"I rock climb. I speed-skated through college. I'm an ice-skater, I can ice skate. I in-line skate. I would do that.

"I don't think I would hang glide because the danger there. I would not skydive but I think that's a tremendous sport, you risk a lot. If you mountain bike you can break an arm, break a leg, dislocate fingers -- you have to wear the proper gear because you can get hurt, but not as many people die than I think they do doing those other things."

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 6, 2009; 1:38 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Flyers Coach on Boudreau's Comments
Next: Flyers-Caps Rivalry? What Rivalry?

Comments

It is the greatest flaw in sports, so much money all the coaches turn republican. ironically if we had more liberal coaches games would be more creatively called and played and it would be more entertaining. This based of a scientific study on creativity and political ideas.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 6, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

FYI all that said I too had wondered this at first for the same reasons. Zorns non football commentary is in line with a John lennon Ralph Nader type, a lot of deep thinking, philosophical theory type, I can tell just by looking at him that he partied in college.

My guess is he is actually not a political person and probably more moderate than Gibbs.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 6, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Dr. Pepper has more credibility than Dr. Laura (PhD).

Posted by: dcsween | January 6, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see Ralph Nader coach a football team and see what happens. One thing is for sure that any play who worked less than 80 hours a week would be off the team.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 6, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

F Dr. Laura.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 6, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

So it's actually Cerrato's Yes We Can bumper sticker that's going to get him canned?

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | January 6, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 6, 2009 2:03 PM
****

then obviously, the NFL is being run by left wing liberals with their dumb penalties on "excessive" celebration and the 15yds and 20k fine for touching a QB .00000001 seconds after he threw the ball.

seriously, who has the time to worry about the political inclination of coaches and atheletes. you'd think folks in Boston hate Curt Schilling for being a hardcore Republican?

Posted by: vmrg1974 | January 6, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

You can totally be a liberal and be fed up with the victimization mentality prevalent in today's America. I'm not sure you can be a liberal and listen to "Dr." Laura unironically, though.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | January 6, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Vmrg,

I honestly never care about athletes political persuasion till they start voicing them.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 6, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 6, 2009 3:02 PM

I don't even care then.

Posted by: CBT2 | January 6, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Who's hotter, Dr. L or Mrs. Z?

Posted by: rdpinva | January 6, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Dan, for god's sake Rush Limbaugh confirmed on his own show that he was Jim Zorn's personal guest at FedEx for the Monday night debacle against the Steelers. Was there any doubt after that?

Posted by: seriesoftubescleaner | January 7, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Why did Leigh Torrence get cut? He was a good player; one of the best special-teamers in the league. I think it's because he brought too much politics into the locker room. He was a vocal Obama supporter. He registered 14 fellow Skins in VA (presumably dem voters). Virginia goes blue, Obama wins the election, and BOOM! He gets cut Nov. 9 much to his surprise. Coincidence?

Posted by: seriesoftubescleaner | January 7, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse