Maryland-BC: It's Over

It's easy to get frustrated with that ticker running above specially selected ESPN games. It's easy to think to yourself, "If I wanted to read the anonymous in-game rantings of Terp haters and Terp lovers, I'd just go to the Terrapin Times account that I'm paying for." It's easy to yell out to no one in particular, "No, really? Maryland has just coughed up a 16-point lead, Gary Williams looks like he swallowed a kitchen sponge and sour boos are pouring out of the television set, and you feel the need to tell us that BC has all the momentum, Mr. TTown6789? No kidding."

See, my friend Jamie fell into that trap. But you have to resist the temptation, because once in a while, an anonymous ESPN commenter actually gets it right. Like this one, pictured above. RSullyy23, he calls himself.

"It's over," he wrote, as Greivis Vasquez dissolved into tears on the bench, his Terps down 10 with 23.1 seconds to go. "BC and Rice are too much for this Maryland squad down the stretch."

Sure, it seems obvious. Most teams, you're probably thinking, don't overcome 10-point deficits in the span of one NBA shot clock. But go deeper. I was taking the garbage outside a moment after reading those words, being pelted by freezing rain, the smell of dirty diapers ripe in the air, the sound of those boos still scratching at my soul. Then I remembered RSullyy23.

"Dang," I thought, sadly. "He was right all along. It really is over, isn't it?"

I think I might have had one too many papusas tonight, so forgive me. I'm feeling a little emotional. Maybe by tomorrow, it won't seem quite so over as it does right now.

(Note: I wasn't the only one. Check out Shell Games.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 27, 2009; 10:46 PM ET
Categories:  Terps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Russ Grimm, His Lunchbucket and Hair-Removal Cream
Next: Gary's Been Here 20 Years

Comments

no dan, it's exactly as over as you feel it is...

It's like in the movie Titanic where the boat hits the iceberg halfway through the movie. They run and scamper away from the water for entire second half of the movie but you know you could just stop watching after they hit the ice; the boat's gonna sink.

Posted by: yukiwith2us | January 27, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Funny, I knew without even watching Titanic that the boat was going to sink. Twerps must be slow.

Posted by: JoshCVT | January 27, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I saw two local XI teams on the Disney channels tonight. They both lost, but that JMU-ODU women's game on Sunday(CSN) was a good game. I love watching Dawn Evans.

Posted by: sitruc | January 27, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

I love it. Karma for Maryland and Gary Williams. So how did that Gus Gilchrist thing work out for you guys? I am soooooo sure he was "frightened" by the shootings at VT. He just had to get out you know?? Good thing slimy Gary Williams and Maryland came swooping in, whispering in Gus's ear "hey, use that shooting as an excuse to get out of VT, come to lovely College Park." Might as well capitalize on the VT tragedy right Terps!

Anyway, I'm glad that worked out for you all. You reap what you sow.

Posted by: SadieV | January 28, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

The next time VT wins a national championship, SadieV, let us know.

This is a lost year.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | January 28, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Gary is done at Maryland. Time for new blood in there. Bring in Mike Brey.

Posted by: dominic10464 | January 28, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Poor Terps.. and Georgetown

Posted by: rachel216 | January 28, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Maybe the Head Coach will see to it that it's long overdue (four years) and bench the cancer on the court.

Ever since Harrington showed up (and leaving Maryland for many years), Coach Williams has struggled. Pointing fingers? heck yes. Harrington is the bench cancer!

Posted by: James200801 | January 28, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

It's just a matter of time before the violations at USF come out, SadieV.

Posted by: sitruc | January 28, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Not sure what your National Championship comment has to do with anything I said Lindemann, but whatever makes you feel better I guess...

And yea, sitruc, I am certain that something fishy is going on with Gilchrist, which is why I am happy he is far away from Blacksburg. My only point was that the perception of Gilchrist claiming he was "frightened" at VT after the shootings and then surfacing at Maryland just looks bad. I suppose he actually could have been frightened, but I SERIOUSLY think that's a load of BS, which means that he used it as a convenient excuse because good old Moe the Bartender was whispering in his ear to somehow bolt out of Blacksburg.

Yea, big time college recruiting is ruthless, but it doesn't mean that a nice dose of karma is less amusing to me.

Posted by: SadieV | January 28, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

The ticker over the game is one of the most moronic things I've ever witnessed. Seriously, I can't see watching a game with that level of stupidity attached to the broadcast. I'd go for the radio at that point.

Posted by: Goat_74 | January 28, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Gary lost Gilchrist and Rudy Gay because he wouldn't hire their buddies. I'm sure there are others. Insinuating that he was doing something illicit in recruiting goes against all the evidence. From horrible recruiting classes to many stories saying that he has a higher level of integrity than he SHOULD leading to these bad recruiting classes, suggesting that Gary's recruiting leads to bad karma is ridiculous.

Maryland may be better off if they had a coach who was a little shadier in recruiting, but that's a different story.

Posted by: CharlieF | January 28, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

LOL Mike Brey. Please no.

Posted by: Zornado | January 28, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Karl Hobbs?

You know what, that wasn't even funny. I'm sorry.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | January 28, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I definitely shouldn't have laughed as much as I did at that, StetSportsBlog. I agree with Goat_74 on the ticker. It's a waste of space. Also, I don't understand why the ESPN family of stations can't consistently broadcast games in HD. It can be really annoying that the flagship channel isn't in HD with the top crew, but ESPNU is.

Posted by: sitruc | January 28, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Karl Hobbs?

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | January 28, 2009 11:26 AM

His assistants are really committed to recruiting though. You know, Dudley, Willis, The Gooch, Pearl, Kimberly, Sam...

Posted by: Kev29 | January 28, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't agree more, sitruc. ESPN doing less than half their college basketball games in HD is WEAK. They manage to put every single college football Tuesday night WAC-MAC showdown in HD, but not all ACC basketball games?

Posted by: Kev29 | January 28, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

maybe we could get Roy Williams,or coach K or even Jim Beohiem they would be better than Gary may be maybe maybe

Posted by: optics_ltd | January 29, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse