Morning Look: About That Pro Bowl Campaign

Because I'm an idiot, I sort of didn't understand why it was in the Redskins' best interest to promote every single player on their roster for a Pro Bowl berth. Mere pride, I figured. My team's Pro Bowl contingent is bigger than yours.

Yeah. Well. Try three different models of Pro Bowl jerseys, on sale for the low low price of $99 per. "Show You Support," indeed.

Seriously, is there anything this franchise doesn't sell? Let's ask longtime Bog Reader Mike V., who went to this sale.

"They had several game worn jerseys ranging from 250.00 to 600.00," he wrote me. "You could get a sweet Adam Archuleta jersey (with no grass stains) for 250.00, but a Jon Jansen jersey muddied up would cost you 600.00."

Yup, that's right, $250 for Arch Deluxe merchandise. That's the Extra Value Menu, too. And if you wanted an authenticated Rocky McIntosh signature, that would be another $5.

Who else's game-worn cost $250? B-Lloyd, naturally.

"The store did have the Nick Novak jersey when he kicked the game winner against the Cowboys for like 300.00," Mike wrote me. "I wanted that jersey bad but my wife would have killed me for buying it."

And yeah, that pretty much explains the Vote the Redskins Ticket campaign. Because in this town, it's always a Sellers market.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 26, 2009; 8:13 AM ET
Categories:  Morning Look , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What Ails the Nats: Media and Bloggers
Next: BALLY*: The Collin Balester Q&A

Comments

I heard Leonsis being interviewed a couple of weeks ago, the reporter was trying to get him to talk about lack of respect for the Caps, vis a vis the All Star Game. He said, pretty much, "That stuff doesn't matter to me anymore; I care about winning, once we do that, everything else will come."

Just another reason he's 100 times the owner that shorty is.

Posted by: mike8 | January 26, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I will say those are the nicest PB jerseys in the past few years,got a cool retro thing going for them.

That said anyone who ever buys a prow-bowl jersey ever is a complete moron/idiot/dink, *Unless it was one of the ones from last year for Sean Taylor/ Cooley21 or whatever.

I agree Mike8, thats great ownership, even though I just cant get into hockey more then a surface internist its nice for DC to have 1 good owner.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 26, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Hey here is a random question for DC sports fans how do you rate our 5 major sports team owners. I am not throwing in minor league teams or the WNBA team owners in as no one knows who they are.

Washington Nationals owner Theodore Lerner's
Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder
Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis
Washington Wizzards owner Abe Pollin
D.C United owner Victor MacFarlane

Posted by: alex35332 | January 26, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Based on the excellent first post on this topic from mike8, you have to put Leonsis head and shoulders above all the other owners, particularly in light of his signing Ovie to a huge, long-term contract last season!

After Leonsis, it's hard to differentiate the others. We may not get a reliable read on the Lerners until after this offseason, so it may still be too premature to rate them. Pollin's heart is in the right place as he tries to spend money, maybe just not in the right way. McFarlane is also trying to do positive things (e.g., trying to get a new stadium) but has been hindered by forces outside of his control, perhaps. Snyder would rank at the bottom of this list, as his #1 reason seems to be making money for himself.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | January 26, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

People always talk about what a stand-up guy and great owner Pollin is. That may be so, but its been three decades since our last finals appearance.....and look at the talent that's passed through. What's up with that?

Danny's kinda getting the idea, but he's a slow learner. Vinnie must have compromising photos of Danny w/ underage boys; I mean, how else can he keep his job?

Lerner hasn't done ANYTHING yet. Judgment suspended.

Leonsis & MacFarlane display a knack for periodically resuscitating teams headed for life support. Abe may have the esteem and Danny the money, but the owners of our two "lesser" teams more accurately fit the broader description of success.

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | January 26, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse