Nicklas Backstrom Provides Fine Hats

You know that old saying, about how a team that buys hats together wins together, or stays together, or stays warm together, or whatever? The Caps are set.

Apparently many of you have noticed these fairly distinctive winter hats several members of the Caps have been wearing this season. They're from Sweden. Nicklas Backstrom's friend makes them specially for the Caps.

"She has a hat company," Backstrom explained. "I think it's pretty cool thing."

Backstrom has ordered and paid for hats for a bunch of teammates, including several of the Russians and Donald Brashear, pictured here.

"They're hot," Brashear said.

"Sexy," Sergei Fedorov added. "Fans want them. Nicklas...is the king of those hats."

I asked Fedorov whether he couldn't get a similar lid in Russia; "in Russia, they wear fur hats," Brashear noted.

And I asked Fedorov why he wears a striped Swedish winter hat.

"Just to keep warm, you know?" he said. "It's warm and it's good. Most of the heat, you lose from your head, so to keep it warm, because it's so cold in here. Why you wear 'em, man?" he asked Brashear.

"To keep my head warm," Brashear answered.

"That's what I thought so," Fedorov said. "87, represent."

Also, sensing a business opportunity for the players, I asked Backstrom how much these hats cost.

"It's very expensive," he said. "Probably a thousand bucks. No, I don't know, it's not very expensive. Just a couple hundred."

Then he had to run off to the Swedish embassy, so I'm not positive how much these hats actually cost.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 8, 2009; 3:43 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Fans Make Karl Alzner's Head Hurt
Next: Donald Brashear Learns Russian

Comments

I'd totally rock one of those hats.

Posted by: goskinsgo | January 8, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

"That's what I thought so," Fedorov said. "87, represent."

BAWHAHAHAHAHA! I just about spit my afternoon tea all over my computer screen reading that! Imagine, Mr. Cool Professional himself saying "87, represent."

Posted by: RedBirdie | January 8, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"That's what I thought so," Fedorov said. "87, represent."

Please tell me there was a fist pound after this was said.

Posted by: ThisGuy | January 8, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

nick backstrom has a woman friend back in sweeden who makes hats. stein, i would like to see a picture of her in one of her hats...perhaps only in one of her hats. just a hunch that she might rock that hat more than donald...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 8, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

That may be the best picture of The Donald ever. Pure gold.

Posted by: noptov | January 8, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

for whatever reason the first thing that popped into my head was the episode of seinfeld where jerry wears the pirate shirt on the tonight show.

Posted by: Yoshietree | January 8, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

that is great. Brash. and Backs.

Posted by: saintex | January 9, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

You're gonna give Wizznutzz ideas. Bad ideas.

Posted by: jhorstma | January 9, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I want one !!
But, Nicky's idea on "not very expensive" might not be the same as mine.
Not sure I want to drop "a couple of hundred" for a hat.
What it must be like to be 21 and earning millions...

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | January 9, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

"That's what I thought so," Fedorov said. "87, represent."

Best. Feds quote. Ever.

I saw Feds rocking his "91" on the news last night, and I was like "I need to get a shot of that pimp hat!"

If you're friends with Backstrom on facebook, I saw we all write on his wall that we the fans want hats and see if he'll hook us up.

Posted by: bumperhead | January 9, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse