Racing President Pics and Phillip Daniels

Future Pulitzer, please. (By Jonathan Ernst - Reuters)

Well, I have a new photo on my desktop, for today at least. Observe Giant Racing Abe, on yesterday's Illinois Inaugural Float, passing by the White House. That's the President and First Lady in the background. Any time that the current president is reduced to a small unfocused blip in the background while the lens laps up the giant head of a baseball mascot, I'm putting it on my desktop.

Besides Giant Abe, here's someone else who was downtown yesterday: Skins defensive end Phillip Daniels. He and his wife woke up at 5 a.m, were at the Metro by 5:30 and were at the Mall by 7. They had standing-room tickets, and so Daniels and his surgically repaired knee stood for six or so hours. Both Daniels and his knee fared just fine.

"It was an adventure, man, but it was worth it," he said later on the phone. "I made it through, man. I did good. It was a good test for my knee, too....I'll remember this the rest of my life."

He came home with Obama posters, Obama pins, Obama hats, and Obama paddles, and planned to look for more Obama stuff on eBay.

(Here's someone who wasn't there: the Nats' Willie Harris. "I wish I could have been there, but it's too cold for me up there," he told MLB.com, in what was certainly the quote of the day. Heck, I stayed inside for the same reason. Harris is already anticipating Obama throwing out the first pitch this spring, against the Phillies. Expect boos.)

As for the Giant Headed Racing Presidents, they did indeed make several inaugural stops, including a joint appearance with Slapshot at the Children's Inaugural Ball, hosted by Every Child Matters. That's where these photos--taken by Daniel Tana--came from. And with the economy in trouble and budgets tight, don't tell me that local sports franchises aren't in a tooth and nail fight for every fan.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 21, 2009; 11:37 AM ET
Categories:  Caps , Nats , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats Announce Individual Ticket Prices
Next: The Caps, John Kerry and a Scourge

Comments

What's Slapshot doing? Taking on four Presidents (or at least two by the pictures, as Jefferson came in to help out Abe). But there's a penguin there! Local rivalries aside, Slapshot must go after and eradicate the penguin!

Posted by: kolbkl | January 21, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Steinberg FYI . . . both giant racing Abe and Slapshot are fellow Blue Hen alums and bff's.

Posted by: jacktrickard | January 21, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Talon would've kick all of their asses.

Posted by: sitruc | January 21, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

*cough* kicked *cough*

Posted by: sitruc | January 21, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I heard Chief Zee road in the motorcade and actually spent the 'first night' in the Lincoln bedroom, while all the second tier mascots where playing tiddlywinks in the sub-freezing tempatures.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | January 21, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

i wouldn't mess with that penguin. he looks like the type of dude that would wreck a bald eagle.

Posted by: bizzleboy | January 21, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

The penguin looks like the Linux penguin on Xanax without eating for a few months. It would off itself before anything else.

Posted by: sitruc | January 21, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Lookee what we got here!! That silly penguin is back again.

No, Mr Madison, there no penguin. You got too much sun today.

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here. I gotta send him back to the South Pole.

Come here, Mr Penguin! I'm one of the good guys, penguin. Don't run! Penguin! Penguin. You're a bad penguin.

Whee-hee! Call the zoo! All the people at the zoo are very nice, penguin. They'll treat you real respectable, like. There's nothing to worry about, big fella.

HERE I COME!