Riley Cote Discusses His Brashear Fights

Last thing on this topic. I think we can all agree that the Flyers refrained from engaging Bruce Boudreau in a war of words after the coach's mildly incendiary comments this week about Philly enforcer Riley Cote getting "beat up" by Donald Brashear. I gave up on that line of questioning after John Stevens wanted nothing to do with it, but at least a couple Philly reporters kept it going, and asked Cote what he thought. His response, dare I say, was admirably mature.

"You get a couple fights, you win some, you lose some," Cote told CSNPhilly.com's Tim Panaccio. "Brashear is a tough guy, no question. I don't feel bad. I did my job. I will be the first to tell you I got my ass kicked. Big deal. I really don't care. I got right back up and fought him again.

"It's hockey, not a UFC match. I prepare every game the same way. I expect to fight every night. Sometimes you win some, sometimes you lose some."

Cote also said that the 7-1 result last month was as much the Caps' fault as the Flyers, that no one was trying to run up the score and that Boudreau was "wasting his time and energy to talk about me and something like that."

"Maybe he wants to stir up the media," Cote said. "It fires me up. I take it as a compliment. That's Flyers hockey."

By the time the game was over, I didn't hear many questions about any pre-game words, but CSNPhilly did score at least one memorable quote from the Flyers' captain.

"Trash talk, yeah," snickered Mike Richards, according to the site. "We didn't worry about the garbage going on off the ice. We played our game, we played it simple. We kept them in check and didn't give them too many chances except the power play. We had chances to win the hockey game, but just didn't. "

Something tells me Columbus won't provide quite as many verbal highlights. Anyhow, in what seemed like a final bit of gamesmanship, there was that odd delay before the shootout, with the ice machines being recalled back onto the ice, leading to 10 minutes of enthusiastic boos. The assumption was that Flyers goalie Marty Biron had a complaint about the ice, but he told me and Puck Daddy after the game that he was actually annoyed by the delay, which came from the Flyers' bench. Read more about it here. And if you're wondering why 30 priests were sharing the Caps locker room with a half-naked Alex Ovechkin, head over to Homer McFanboy.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 7, 2009; 11:01 AM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau Stays the Course, Richards Says "Maybe Dirty"
Next: Chris Cooley Endorses Vinny Cerrato

Comments

YEAH COTE.... keep getting up... the more you get up, the more brain damage you will receive when the DONALD pummels you again!

Posted by: dupa3 | January 7, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Dan - that ice machines is called a Zamboni.

Posted by: goskinsgo | January 7, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

by the way, the guys sign is awesome - even for a philthy fan.

Posted by: goskinsgo | January 7, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Good job, Steinberg, at blowing this whole thing out of proportion. Maybe it is better if you go back to ignoring the Caps.

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 7, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Apparently the Caps machines aren't actually Zamboni-brand, so they're not Zambonis.

And Pogues, I know you hate me, but I think saying the Flyers refrained from engaging in a war of words does not constitute blowing anything out of proportion.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | January 7, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Xerox, Kleenex, Zamboni...

An ice machine is that thing down the hall in the hotel that your wife sends you to half naked after you're dead-friggin' tired from driving 12 hours to get ice that she'll never use cuz she's already sound asleep by the time you get back to the room. Oh yeah, and 9 times out of 10 it makes a huge racket before coughing up all of 1 or 2 measly cubes...

Posted by: jhorstma | January 7, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

the ice resurfacers the Caps use are techinically "Olympia" brand. Zamboni is trademarked.

I have to say, as a life long Caps fan who remembers the 1980s (Hello, Patrick Division!), I have a deep, seething hatred of the Flyers, and it pains me to say this, but Biron seems like a half-way classy guy.

Posted by: RedBirdie | January 7, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

"And if you're wondering why 30 priests were sharing the Caps locker room with a half-naked Alex Ovechkin..."

I thought we were done making jokes about that.

Posted by: Section117 | January 7, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

What a lot of people don't realize is that the enforcers tend to respect each other -- they realize that their job, by and large, is to punch and get punched in the name of momentum and emotion.

I'm sure they don't necessarily *like* each other, since it's hard to feel much fondness for someone who slugs you, but these guys ask if the other wants to "go" and they do it right, gloves down, no instigator penalty.

As an example of doing it wrong, see Crosby's recent "fight" with the Panthers' McLean. Now that's a case of no respect . . .

Posted by: DC_Flyer | January 7, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

DC_Flyer is right on both the enforcer code and on Cindy Crosby's violation of it. Respect to Cote for getting up and fighting Brashear again last month. He's a respectable enforcer in this league and can hold his own.

No respect to Mike Richards' crybaby antics, though - whining about hits, refereeing, and now media talk. Either: a) stop leaving your feet on hits or b) shut up, you hypocritical wanker.

Posted by: gocaps2 | January 7, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I guess we could talk about Brashear losing fights, that is if he actually did what he is paid to do..be an enforcer

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | January 7, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

@gocaps2 -- I can't entirely defend Richards' post-game comments. I'm sure it has to be incredibly frustrating playing against a skilled steamroller like Ovechkin, and that hit that leveled Clark would have devastated Carter if it connected.

So yeah, Richie has a bit to learn as a captain -- I would have preferred Timonen to get the C this year -- but he usually backs up his mouth with his performance on the ice. Just an emotional game for both teams, I think. Maybe a rivalry is simmering for both sides . . .

Posted by: DC_Flyer | January 7, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse