Rob Dibble Nats Broadcast Thoughts?

Well, raise your hand if you're shocked that the Nats' new color guy has some ties to the Cincinnati Reds. Never would have guessed that one.

Rob Dibble might not have Don Sutton's hair, but he has like 15 billion tattoos and a history of being provocative, so I'm all for it. One of his most famous pronouncements during his ESPN tenure came back in 2002, when he questioned Mets' pitcher Shawn Estes's toughness. The Mets fired back. Quotes from the N.Y. Daily News:

"He was the most unprofessional player to ever play, or one of them," Bobby Valentine said. "He threw bats in the stands, threw balls in the stands, fought with his manager. When he hit people it was because they hit a home run off him, not protection for his teammates."

"He was unprofessional and uninformed," Valentine also said. "This is the reason people switch off ESPN, because you have people with no knowledge of the game or the English language presenting the game we love."

"I just wasn't impressed," Mike Piazza said. "He's entitled to his opinions, but I think he was just trying to say something controversial and self-promoting. But if you're going to respond to him you might as well sit by talk radio and analyze every call. That's what I'd equate him with."

There was plenty of over-the-top psychoanalysis of Dibble back in the day, including a 3,700-word A1 Hartford Courant piece in 1991 that deeply probed his childhood. Weird. "I was probably the most insecure kid you'd ever meet," Dibble told Sports Illustrated in that era. "I always felt that being more talented than other people made it harder on you to fit in. You were kind of unique, kind of an outcast." Tell me about it.

Anyhow, I've heard Dibble and Denny Hocking late at night while wondering why I'm listening to sports talk radio late at night, so without having heard him call a game, might as well conduct a poll.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 27, 2009; 1:18 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Joe Gibbs Seems Happy
Next: Wiz TV Ratings: Barely Behind Caps

Comments

Approve....

There's a first time for everything....such as blogging about a color guy getting fired for using racial slurs.

Posted by: truthaboutit | January 27, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

On year, he also said he would "run naked" through some public place or another if Ichiro won the batting title. Which Ichiro did.

Dibble didn't follow through with his promise though. Thankfully.

Posted by: ThisGuy | January 27, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

From Don Sutton to Rob Dibble... Yep, that tracks with the general downward spiral of the franchise.

Posted by: NTPNate | January 27, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I don't ever listen to sports talk radio so I'm not familiar with his work there.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 27, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Dibble is worthy of a temporary "approve" if for no other reason than he is bound to say something incredibly inappropriate to Debbi Taylor on the air within the first month on the job.

Posted by: Brian_ | January 27, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Jerry Springer pulls better ratings than PBS. With Sutton, MASN was putting out a PBS-level product (in ratings, maybe not necessarily in quality). With Dibble, they'll be putting out a Jerry Springer-like quality of product. One would expect ratings to follow suit. So why not?

Posted by: nunof1 | January 27, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

nunof1,
are you saying that when the nats lose we may see a chair thrown from the play by play booth onto the field. That would be cool I guess.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 27, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

The off-season hits just keep on coming :-(

Posted by: Kev29 | January 27, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

nunof1, if he were a player I might agree with you, but he is the color guy...

Posted by: sitruc | January 27, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Re. Dibble's batting title promise, I'm not impressed. Word is that Robert Fick did that on an average day at the ballpark (and remember, he'd make a great first baseman :-D).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 27, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Another reason I'm glad I'm not a Nats fan...

Sutton was boring, Dibble is a moron. On balance, I'd take Sutton.

Posted by: pipkin42 | January 27, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

My fear with Dibble is that he will try to force intensity into the broadcast without adding substance or excitement. I don't want a FOX Football broadcast, I want a mellow pastoral telling of the game that builds into a natural excitement at the right times. If he brings humor and insight without the machismo and chest thumping he'll be alright. But if he rambles on about knockdown pitches it will be a little tough to chew on.

Posted by: natbisquit | January 27, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

This club doesn't have a starter that won 10 games last year nor a hitter than produced 20 home runs and we are supposed to be concerned over who is broadcasting the games?

This is a joke right?

I don't care if the team has the ghost of Babe Ruth in the booth, nobody is going to tune in and watch a team that resembles the one that couldn't find its (blank here) with both hands in 2008.

Hooray that the Nats decided to make these peripheral changes.

New announcer, new uniforms.

Great.

But same old product.

Posted by: leopard09 | January 27, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Point taken re. the product on the field, leopard, but I'd maintain that the right broadcasters [cough: Charlie and Dave] can make even the most awful blowout games more tolerable.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 27, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

May I amend some of your negativity leopard09?

"nor a hitter than produced 20 home runs"

Actually, they didn't even have someone hit 15.

"New announcer, new uniforms."

Well, partially new uniforms. Kept the home ones, new red ones, throwback road and some patriotic garbage that should be hawked on 17th and Constitution next to FBI sweatshirts. None of them come close to matching. I think John Hinckley does their branding.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 27, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

As a friend of mine said when I shared the news, "Sadly, I think he'd help us more as a pitcher."

I approve. I like the combustability of making Dibble watch terrible baseball all summer. How long until he just starts railing on the team? Two games? Three?

It'll certainly be more entertaining than wtaching Sutton refer to the team in the first person plural ("We've got to focus on moving the runners over...").

Posted by: pondaz | January 27, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I used to enjoy Dibble when he was Dan Patrick's sidekick (back during the salad days of ESPN Radio when Mr Tony wrote for the Post and wasn't on MNF).

IIRC the Ichiro thong, Dibble did eventually run in Times Square wearing a thong, which is close enough for me.

Posted by: metatext | January 27, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Well, when Bobby V questions both your knowledge of the game AND of the English language, that's sinking pretty low. And with such rave reviews as "unprofessional and uninformed," and "controversial and self-promoting" Gee - how wonderful.

The only thing I approve about this is that it's guaranteed to generate several Bog posts about how unprofessional/uninformed/controversial/self-promoting some stupid comment of his was. Can't wait till he starts to rip 23-year-old players - that'll certainly increase my enjoyment in another 90-loss year.

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | January 27, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I can't see Ray Knight and Dibble getting along for a whole season.

I've heard Denny Hocking on the radio. He's got the voice of a 14-year old girl.

Posted by: mike8 | January 27, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I loved - loved this result.

Duke --- 85
Maryland --- 44

Dematha HS would easily defeat Maryland.

Prediction:

Boston College -- 83
Maryland -- 62

Maryland will finish with a 15 - 16 record

No NCAA bid

No NIT bid

How can any parent, let their son play for a program like Maryland - with a 10 % graduation rate.

Carolina blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels ! - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | January 27, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

If the people in charge of this sort of thing had a clue they'd lure Mel Proctor out of retirement, fire all the braying donkeys, and have him do the games by himself.

Of course a move like that would make entirely too much sense to ever happen.

Posted by: uranderson | January 27, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I have had XM for 4 years for the baseball coverage. I will tell you this: He knows nothing about today's players or how to manage a game. He is a buffoon.

Posted by: deadan78 | January 28, 2009 2:51 AM | Report abuse