Santana Moss at the Portis Inaugural Bash

I got to the Clinton Portis-Antawn Jamison All Pros and All Stars Inaugural Celebration sometime around 11:30 on Sunday night. My credential was good enough to get me in to the $125 common folks room, but I didn't make much effort to cruise into the VIP, so I was just kind of standing around.

Then I met K.D. Wright, owner of a custom-tailored men's clothing company from Charlotte, who figured we could strike some kind of deal. She'd become part of Sports Bog, Inc., for the night, in exchange for talking my way into the better parts of the party.

So a few minutes later, she was leading me through the upper reaches of the VIP section, around a corner and to a little roiund table where Santana Moss was sitting by himself, drinking a pineapple and Grey Goose, in front of a window peeking out at the gleaming Capitol Building. I told K.D. she might as well continue her roll and ask the questions, so she started asking Santana about the inauguration.

"To be honest with you, when he first decided he was running for president, I felt like this time and age, what we're going through, we needed that," Moss said. "We needed for everybody out there to have hope, to have HOPE. It started with hope, and it started with belief, and now we believe we can have what we have today, a Black President."

"For me," Santana continued, "I look past just the black and white thing, I look at what the guy's gonna do for his people."

K.D. asked who Obama's "people" were.

"His people is US," Moss said. "Everybody that walks the earth. I look at it like this, and this is just my perspective: when you look at what has happened for us this year, Barack Obama, a black man, no matter what you call him, that's a celebration for all minorities. That's a celebration for anyone who's seen what he's gone through.

"My family isn't living the life I'm living. This thing is a celebration, showing that maybe one day you CAN get to where we've got to. [Black] kids growing up, you were told you could be anything, but never the president."

The party was being emceed by "Lifestyle Specialist" Kenny Burns. Clinton Portis walked around, surrounded by gawkers, wearing a mohawk, lavender shirt, purple tie and some shades, as my colleague David Malitz reported.

An assortment of football players came through: Shawn Springs, Lorenzo Alexander, Leigh Torrence. So, too, did media personalities: spotted dancing were Comcast SportsyNet's Chris Miller, Kelli Johnson and Lisa Hillary. The music mixed 21st century hip hip with the Bar Mitzvah and wedding rap classics of the early '90s. I never saw Jamison or any other Wizards, but Raheem DeVaugn and Delroy Lindo were around. The week's buzzwords flashed on the walls--Change and Hope, for example--and one of Clinton Portis's guys walked around with the word "Change" shaved into the back of his head.

Moss wore a Nats baseball hat over his customary bandana thing; he told me about his son's prodigious Little League baseball career, and how much he loves being in D.C., and how I should probably drink a pineapple and Grey Goose since it would help my writing. I asked what he thought about a party at Union Station; "I almost asked what was Union Station at first," he said. "I don't ride the train that much."

Before I left, I asked him about the week's mixture of parties and politics.

"This is what it really boils down to, D.C. is gonna party regardless, whether it's an inauguration or a Black President or whatever," Moss said. "They just tagged it something different. Everybody has a place to go linking them to the celebration that already exists. So it's gonna be done regardless. A good time is a good time."

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 20, 2009; 11:24 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Local Poll Week X: Old, Dominion
Next: Dave Neal's Flesh Wound

Comments

Obama economic policies are bad, and I'd prefer if you quit combining politics and sports. Seriously

Posted by: illicon | January 20, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

illicon,

no one said a word about anyone's policies. steinbog is simply letting fans know what's going on in town. get over yourself.

Posted by: HomerMcFanboy | January 20, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Don't be mad because Obama is going to get the country's pockets straight.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | January 20, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

illicon,

so you expect a blog about DC sports to not have any thing politically related on the day of the inauguration of the first black president?

are you high or just extremely stupid?

Posted by: skins1110 | January 20, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

illicon, while I agree with your assessment of Obama's policies, did you really think our local athletes weren't going to fawn all over him? Just because a guy makes gazillions of dollars to play sports doesn't mean he's any less of a sheep that the morons that packed DC today.

Posted by: davekempson | January 20, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Portis? A sheep? Shirley you can't be serious.

Posted by: ThisGuy | January 20, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

these comments are sad. you are missing the point of inclusion and tolerance. we are all in this together.

Posted by: ajaxthewonderdog | January 20, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Snapped a pic of Steinberg lounging with Dave Neal's #1 fan at the UMD game tonight.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | January 20, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Obama is black? That is news to me. Last I checked he was raised by his white mom and her family.

The man is inter-racial.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | January 21, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

The man is inter-racial.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | January 21, 2009 12:27 PM

I'm so sick of reading crap like this! News flash: If Obama were unknown and walking down the street and someone pointed him out and asked if was white, black, asian, or middle eastern, I can say with high certainty that who ever you ask, they'll say he is BLACK or maybe middle eastern. Hell, if you ask the man himself, with the cameras off, I'm almost willing to bet my life that he'd say he was black.

Haven't you heard of "perception is reality"? As much as we like to think it isn't so - we all know damn well that it IS.

People like you just CAN NOT accept the fact that a BLACK MAN resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. People like you CAN NOT accept that the leader of the free world is a man of color - perceptively thought of as a BLACK MAN. People like you CAN NOT accept the fact that a third of the poltical branch is headed by a BLACK MAN - or man of color if you will.

Look, it's not about him being black, white, or whatever. It's about somone other than the norm, coming and inspiring change and hope. Change of our petty differences, change of the way that we as Americans conduct ourselves, change of the general perception of US. The man is and REPRESENTS change - literally. Get over the fact that he doesn't resemble you, that he isn't someone that you can relate to, and that "your guy" lost the election.

It's sad that we're past election night and inauguration day, and some of you are still pissin' in your pants over the fact that Barack Obama is the 44th president.

Like someone said earlier: "Get over yourself."

Posted by: RedDMV | January 21, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Light comes in the waning darkness of a bold new same old. Not the Same old Same old.

Crowds of hope, blinded by the light of the heavens, bonded in belief, gather and mingle, supporting each other, celebrating each other.

No need to embrace each other. We wont allow ourselves to. But the warmth is there, emanating from quick smiles, quick glances, subtle nods, eavesdrops, conversations... Strangers, who are Not strange, celebrate each other, celebrate with each other, celebrate For each other.

These are The People. We, the People.

Posted by: LeftwithNochoice | January 21, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

davekempson GET OVER IT, TONE DOWN YOUR CRITICISMS. SUPPORT HIM.

Posted by: abxinc | January 22, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

How wonderful to see people whinning and moaning about Obama becoming President even here on a Skins board. Just can't handle it. You'd think eight years of destruction would give a thicker skin, but...

Unfortunately, I'm embarassed to be a die hard Skins fan when I see that other fans are so dim. Too bad.

Posted by: MRB11 | January 22, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

davekempson GET OVER IT, TONE DOWN YOUR CRITICISMS. SUPPORT HIM.

Posted by: abxinc | January 22, 2009 9:16 AM

It amazes me that through 8 years of the Bush administration all we heard from liberals was that dissent was true patriotism. Now that their guy is in the White House we're all suppose to shut up and support the him? Hypocritical much?

I support the office of the President of the United States. Barack Hussein Obama is the President of the United States. Ergo, I support him.

What I don't support is this mass hysteria that is lionizing and deifying the man before he does thing one.

Posted by: davekempson | January 22, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Amen davekempson. I too will support the office of the president and it doesn't matter if he is white, black, red, or yellow. But what I won't do is say he is the best thing to come along for america until I see him make real changes. How long was he a senator? And how did he vote on issues while he was there? Didn't he vote against allowing people in D.C. the right to own a gun? Thank goodness he has the economy and Irag to worry about or he might start trying to change the 2nd amendment of the constitution. You know, the one about the right to bear arms in case we need to defend ourselves from government. Yes things need to change but relying on a president to change everything is wrong. People really need to vote for better congressmen and senators if they want to see real change. God bless the U.S.A.

Posted by: rburrill | January 22, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

To davekempson: What would you like another 4 years for Bush(if he could), or you wanted McCain(4 more years of Bush policy)? What are you just some 21st century Archie Bunker? You sound like a racist non-exclusive white guy who thinks white folks are still suppose to be in charge of everything. Well sorry buddy as you can plainly see, those days are over, you need to accept it. As pathetic as you sound I doubt if you ever will. Seems like your parents taught you well.

Posted by: 72Redskins | January 23, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Too bad the new Marxist President is going to take this Country down the toilet!

But I still love the Skins! After all, I don't expect a football player to know about economic and political policy. They are just as dumb as the people who voted for an empty suit with a simplistic slogan of "HOPE" and "CHANGE," who also happens to be half white (and a Socialist)!

Posted by: georgejones5 | January 23, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

First off, for all of us as Americans- regardless of our race or political views, President Obama should command our respect as our President. He is the leader of the greatest country in the world and respecting this office should be our patriotic duty.

As far as race is concerned, racism is one of the most grieving things in the history of the world. It saddens and angers me when people made in the image of God oppose one another because of skin color. As a white man, I love seeing the strides our country has made in breaking down walls of division. Having a black President is truly historic and is an evidence that progress is being made.

As a side note, I do not agree with a lot of President Obama's Moral Values, especially regarding Abortion and Homosexual marriage. However, HE IS MY PRESIDENT. With this in mind, I will honor, repsect, and obey him as my God-given authority. I feel that in this day and age of a postmodern America people feel that if they don't like or agree with their Authorities they are not required to follow them. I think this is Sad. I think this is Scary. And I think this is Ignorant.

I will pray for my President and hope God gives Him wisdom to lead our country with integrity and courage.

GO 'SKINS!!

Posted by: Skins220 | January 25, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 72Redskins | January 23, 2009 4:33 PM

Classic liberal ad homonym response. I disagree with you/Obama so I must be a racist. Small minded thinking, pure and simple.

Posted by: davekempson | January 26, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse