The Caps, John Kerry and a Scourge

One thing that's become clear over the past few days is that the vast majority of sports section readers would prefer we keep the politics well clear of our section. That being said, here's another item about politics. See, this is why people accuse the mainstream media of being out of touch with our readership. Speaking of which:

1) Donald Brashear has been called a lot of things, but "Scourge" was a new one to me. But I kind of liked it as a potential nickname; Brashear, the Scourge of F Street. The Scourge of the DMV. The Scourge of Chinatown. You know, anything like that.

Well, not so much. This being Washington, "Scourge" actually was a reference to a Fred Barnes Weekly Standard piece in which Barnes called Brent H. Baker "the scourge of liberal bias." Seriously, is there any other city in the world where a "Scourge" jersey would turn out to be a reference to liberal media bias?

Baker is vice president for research and publications at the Media Research Center, a group founded "to not only prove -- through sound scientific research -- that liberal bias in the media does exist and undermines traditional American values, but also to neutralize its impact on the American political scene."

When was the Media Research Center founded? Why 1987, of course. Hence, the '87 "Scourge" jersey, which pre-dated both Brashear's arrival and the red jerseys. Still, why mess with a good thing, Baker figured. In the interest of self-evaluation, I asked him whether the WaPo is part of the liberal media bias.

"Not as much as the New York Times and CBS," he said, kindly. I also asked whether our sports section was politically suspect; "Perfectly fine," he reassured me. "That, we like. That, we read and enjoy."

2) Remember last week, when Barack Obama visited The Post and reportedly said "Where are the sportswriters? I want to ask about the Redskins, Nationals and Wizards?" And how Caps fans noticed the slight? And how Ted Leonsis then wrote a blog post issuing "an open invitation" to Obama? And how the team issued a statement:

Like the President Elect, we have been big proponents for change in D.C. this past year. We hope he comes to see our version firsthand.

Well, it turned out that just last weekend, the Democratic Party's previous nominee, John Kerry, was strolling through the Verizon Center concourse. I walked directly behind him, enjoying all the double-takes, the fathers shaking their sons and telling them to look and see. Kerry sat right out in the open, maybe 15 rows up, and about five rows behind former Maryland quarterback Sam Hollenbach.

Kerry's image was briefly put on the big screen. Fans booed.

Sure, maybe that was because of the Bruins thing, but I'm just saying, from the media watchdogs to the boos for a Democratic standard-bearer, maybe Obama should steer clear for now. And I'm saying this in a purely non-partisan way. Don't anyone accuse me of bias.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 21, 2009; 12:46 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Racing President Pics and Phillip Daniels
Next: Braxton Dupree's Salute, and Other Terp Questions

Comments

Dan your use of "the" in paragraph 5, sentence 4 clearly demonstrates your disdain for the neoconservative geopolitical outlook, you biased bastard.

/pretend-job-which-is-a-complete-joke'd

Posted by: ThisGuy | January 21, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

John Kerry might have been booed because of the Bruins thing. He might also have been booed because he's, you know, John Kerry--the far from electrifying candidate who lost to George W. Bush four years ago.

True, politicians usually get booed at sporting events, but Bush at the height of his popularity in the wake of 9/11 got cheered at Yankee Stadium. I would think if Obama went to a Caps game next month, he would also be cheered. If he wore a Blackhawks jersey at the game, then he'd be booed--but considering he seems to have a pretty good knowledge of sports, he would expect that.

Posted by: TheFingerman | January 21, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Re: #1, I sense the first unanimous jersey fail on the Puck Daddy blog.

Posted by: Section117 | January 21, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Obama on the Wizards cam will be an electrifying moment. Even better than Soulja Boi, I'm willing to bet.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | January 21, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Seeing as how I wore an Obama Punahou High School throwback jersey to the Caps game Saturday night and was told:

A. "Obama Sucks"
B. "Obama hates White people"
C. "F#*& Obama"
D. "Obama is a communist"

I'm pretty sure Verizon isn't ready for an appearance from our commander-in-chief just yet.

Posted by: ringer1 | January 21, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

If Teresa had been there do you think they'd throw them on up on kiss cam?

Posted by: jhorstma | January 21, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

That's John Kerry in that picture? I thought it was Herman Munster.

In all seriousness though, the President of the United States should never be booed no matter if you like him or not.

Posted by: Section505203 | January 21, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

A. "Obama Sucks"
B. "Obama hates White people"
C. "F#*& Obama"
D. "Obama is a communist"

Posted by: ringer1 | January 21, 2009 1:51 PM

Hmm... a few questions for you, sir.

How many poeple told you this?

What were the color of these disdained group of individuals?

On average how many African-Americans, black, or "people of color" attend the Capitols game?

Are you mkaing this shti up?

Who ever shouted the anti-Obama comments wouldn't dare let that BS escape their lips at the Wizards game - too many "Obama-like-people" attend the Wizards game... if you smell my cologne.

I'd advise you to wear this jersey at a Wizards game, you'll feel the love.

It's a shame, we're past election night (which resulted in a clear cut winner for the first time in eight years - hmm???), and inauguration day, and some people are still sick in the face and can't get over themselves and the fact that Obama is pres. #44.

Deal with it, move to another country, or climb a tower.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 21, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

How many poeple told you this?

All separate individuals

No idea - should it matter, I thought "We are One"

What were the color of these disdained group of individuals?

What color do you think?

Are you mkaing this shti up?

Nope. Almost got into a fist fight at Fado after the game because some guy wouldn't get off my case.

Posted by: ringer1 | January 21, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Ringer1,

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | January 21, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Nice jersey. I also vote for separation of politics and sports coverage (not that you care what your constituents think ;-)).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 21, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Ringer1,

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | January 21, 2009 3:17 PM

Wow, hadn't thought about that, but it would make sense that people would start verbally assaulting me because I was minding my own business talking to my friends (aka being an a-hole) and not because there are people out there not ready to accept Obama as a president. Nice post mnmnt_snow!

Posted by: ringer1 | January 21, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

What's the point of whining on the comment board, you big baby?

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | January 21, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Maybe if you had something intelligent to say, you wouldn't have to "almost" get into a fight. I voted for Obama, and I go to Caps games. So basically you're insinuating that you almost got lynched b/c you wore an Obama jersey to a hockey game. I find that hard to believe.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | January 21, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ringer1 | January 21, 2009 3:42 PM

From your comments I assume you feel anyone who dares speak out against Obama is a racist. Did you consider maybe it's because you're flaunting your political views(which does make you an a-hole BTW) and other people just don't agree with them. I'm sure a George W Bush jersey would get a similar response/comments from a different group of people, possible even you.

RedDMV:
If those same coments about a W Jersey came at a Wizzards game, whould you suggest he attend a Caps game for better treatment?

If negative comments about Obama = Equal racism, the next 4 years are going to be longer than the last 4.

Posted by: dave20852 | January 21, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Anyone wearing a jersey other than the sport they are attending is a "we todd" anyways. And when you try to bring politics into it? Obama or Palin, or this jokester featured in the article... anyone wearing a jersey that is not a former/current player to a game should be shot. Anytime you try to make a political statement people are going to heckle you, Ringer1, you moron.

Way to roll up to the game with a chip on your shoulder.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | January 21, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I assume this fool went with "Scourge" because "Self-Important A-Hole" wouldn't fit on the jersey.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | January 21, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I guess we had 2 million a-holes on the Mall yesterday flaunting their political views.

I agree with you, I don't understand people who go trotting around Fed-ex wearing Cowboys jerseys when they are playing the Lions, but this is not the same situation.

This didn't occur at the RNC headquarters after McCain conceded the election, shoving my views down others throats. This happend 3 days prior to the Inauguration, in Washington, DC at a time where national pride is rising. If supporting my country makes me an A-hole then that's what I am.

Posted by: ringer1 | January 21, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

(a) I was at the Bruins game and I booed Kerry too, even though I voted for the guy, and then explained to my kids why they should have been booing too.

(b) If Obama went to a Blackhawks game and wore a Chicago jersey, I'd boo him too.

(c) In all other circumstances I'd cheer Obama, as would 99 percent of Caps fans. Absolutely no way there would be any boo that would be audible over the cheers.

Posted by: 20007 | January 21, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

You live in DC.
You got crazy Republicans and crazy Democrats on every corner, just waiting to debate each other.

Unless your whole section was lynching you, then stop your whining. This is stupid. Grow a backbone and a brain. Fighting over what you're wearing b/c some moron's choice lost the election? Who the hell cares.

I'd never wear a jersey other than a Caps one to a Caps game. And I sure as hell wouldn't wear that Scrouge, Palin, or Obama jersey. You're just asking for it.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | January 21, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Ringer1,
Are you at the hockey game to enjoy a hockey game or make a statement?

Geez you're an idiot.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | January 21, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Ringer1,

Speaking as a die-hard Republican, I'm sorry that you had to deal with that.

Amazingly, there are still some idiotic red-necks in this world.

Obama won pretty convincingly and I have accepted him as my President and am ready to support him.

His election is a great thing for this Country and for the Black Community. Plus, if you can't be moved by seeing 2 million people standing for hours in below freezing temps to witness a piece of history then you are dead inside.

Posted by: Section505203 | January 21, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Never meant to whine - just stating that Obama might not get the best reception among Caps fans. You were the one who made this a personal attack, remember?

"Ringer1,
Maybe it's not the jersey, maybe it's because you're just an a**hole. Just my two cents."

Posted by: ringer1 | January 21, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we should all agree that Abe/ Ted should take those down those ridiculous WNBA banners that don't belong at a hockey game either and that the Eagles will beat the Stags by double digits tonight on the shoulders of the best hoops player in the area Ian "Hummsauce" Hummer.

Posted by: eagle09 | January 21, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I forgot, apparently all hockey fans are a bunch of redneck, gun-toting, right-wing whackos. Despite the ample evidence at every Caps game to the contrary.

Ok, just to be clear, people:
#8-that would be Alex Ovechkin, the best player in hockey. Not Obama.
#12-Peter Bondra, hockey god of Washington. Not Palin.
#87-Donald Brashear, regining heavyweight champion of the NHL. Not Baker.

Please, people, enough with the jersey fouls. Congratulations, you've made us the laughing stock of hockey fans. Do you know the trash talking I get about all the bandwagon fans here? Do you know the trash talking I get about all the bandwagon fans--who obviously know nothing of who the current or former players are--committing unforgivable jersey fouls? Please, if only for the sake of us long-time Caps fans who endured years of ridicule, enough with the lame jerseys. Next time I see someone with politics splashed across their jersey, and this goes double if you are befouling a beloved player's number in the process, I'm going to have to find my inner Donald and lay down the law.

Posted by: RedBirdie | January 21, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Clearcut winner ? Popular vote totals were 52 % to 46 %

Posted by: jg284481-5-37 | January 21, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

My first reaction to jersey was a dig at Crosby, before I read post

Posted by: jg284481-5-37 | January 21, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Based on these comments, the only thing I can conclude with reasonable certainty is that mnmnt_snow is a jerk. All else is undetermined.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | January 22, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

I don't know John Kerry's history with the Bruins (maybe he has a secret tattoo that only hockey fans know about) but by this logic wouldn't you basically have to boo all politicians from states with professional sports teams?

And this is Washington DC that has no elected represenatives and all of the other reps living here, after all. That's a lot of booing.

I personally just stick with a classic and boo Robert Novak whenever I see him haunting my college basketball team with his bad vibes.

Posted by: M__N | January 22, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Is it 2012 yet?

Posted by: davekempson | January 22, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

personal attacks? as a redneck, i take offense to the "die hard" republican comments...

Posted by: trolly_time | January 24, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

I'm waiting for the Steinberg jersey shots

Posted by: trolly_time | January 24, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse