Adam Dunn Buys Lunch

"He's the first 10 millionaire we've had around here since Soriano," Jason Bergmann said today, joking about Adam Dunn. "We're not used to big-time guys. We're priding ourselves on building within, guys like Zimmerman were drafted and came up real fast. I guess he would be our biggest-name player."

Well, Dunn lived up to his 10 millionaire label today, buying a large spread of hot food from Boston Market for his teammates. As an aside, if you haven't eaten anything since a breakfast hash brown from McDonald's, and you have to stand around while dozens of guys feast on sweet potatoes and corn bread and green beans; well, life is hard sometimes.

"I know there's no spread until games start and everyone's starving, so I thought we needed some food here," Dunn said. I asked why Boston Market.

"That was one of our choices around here," he said. "It's not like it's a very diverse place to eat."

Truer words have never, ever, ever been spoken. I pointed out that the media contingent had dined at Chili's last night.

"I ate at Chili's yesterday too," Dunn said. "Chili's and Outback."

Someone asked why no love for Panera.

"See, Panera, that's good, but it's hard for me to come up with nine dollars for a turkey sandwich that I could make in my house," Dunn said. "Come on."

It's a panini, not a sandwich, one scribe noted.

"Ok, well, I'll toast my bread," Dunn said.

Speaking of food, Ronnie Belliard briefly addressed his noticeable weight loss this afternoon.

"I don't do anything different, I just stopped eating what I used to eat," he said. "I just stopped eating certain foods and I lose weight. I just stopped eating at night. You need to stop eating, man," he said to one media member. "Just had juice and fruit, thank God I lost a little bit of weight."

Someone asked if he knew how much he had dropped.

"Nope," he said. "I don't want to know either, because I'm planning to keep losing weight."

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 19, 2009; 3:53 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lastings Milledge is Ocho Cinco?
Next: Mike Hinckley's Beard

Comments

Dollars to a dozen doughnuts that the unnamed 'media member' was Loverro.

Posted by: Bethesdangit | February 19, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Boston Market, huh?

Note to Space Coast Stadium Staff: Every locker should have a guide to catering companies in the greater(?!) Viera area.

(say that fast)

Posted by: wigi | February 19, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Stein, can we get some photo evidence of Belly's weight loss? Thanks.

Posted by: FloresFan | February 19, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Steinz, you gotta stop it. This output is unreal.

It is also impairing my ability to do my job.

By the way, I told your editors to just send your wife and kid down to Viera because we are not letting you leave anytime soon.

Posted by: WebberDC | February 19, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

> "You need to stop eating, man," he said to one media member.

Hopefully that media member was Loverro. Saw a picture of him the other day. That guy looks like he's gonna blow any minute now.

Posted by: nunof1 | February 19, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Bummer that they didn't share.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 19, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

McDonald's hash browns are the best. That is all, carry on.

Posted by: fushezzi | February 19, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

"I don't do anything different, I just stopped eating what I used to eat,"

That's too funny, and yesterday Dukes uttered this little gem:

"I can never forget what I did, because I'm always remembering."

I think we have some budding Yogis in the clubhouse!

Posted by: frog7694 | February 19, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you fushezzi. Adam Dunn can buy me McDonald's hash browns (2 for $1) any time he wants. He'll still have money for 9,999,999 more such purchases... meaning 19,999,998 more hash browns.

Now that's what I call a Dollar Menunaire.

Posted by: faNATic | February 19, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Loverro or Bill Ladson is my guess.

Also, Stein...You should call Bergie out on his "10 millionaire" comment. Let him know Dunn's only getting $8MM this year, but $12MM next. I'm sure he would love that, and you two would form a bond and be bestest friends. Heck, you both even have the same hair style.

Posted by: Section138 | February 19, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, frog, I think Dunn is a worthy Yogi contender with this quote from a Bog item on the day of his introductory press conference:

"It was like I was a National the entire time I wasn't."

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 19, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I was laughing at the $10 million man griping about a $9 samwich.

Posted by: NatsNut | February 19, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Belliard could get rich off this ground-breaking weight loss program. Eat less.

Posted by: NatsNut | February 19, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

1a, you are so right! That is an excellent example. We can play spot the Yogi-ism on The Bog!

Posted by: frog7694 | February 19, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse