And the Spring Crowds Go Mild

It's hard to understand why, after arriving in Viera, my weekday blog traffic would have dropped literally 50 percent yesterday, compared to the days when I sit in my basement and post photos of Caps fans in funny jerseys. I mean, look at the crowds of optimistic hope-springs-eternal Nats fans pouring into the complex! In some places, they're stacked up literally one-deep for the chance to watch Major League pitchers from 20 paces. Ah, well.

(Aside from these three fields, there are guys throwing in the bullpen, and to be fair, there are about 30 people watching those sessions. And yeah, this is a total cheap shot. I'm just bitter. Now I know how MASN feels.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 18, 2009; 10:39 AM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Life in Viera: Boring
Next: Terrell Young: Dodgeball and Barry White

Comments

Someday when I am wealthy, I will make it a crowd of about 31. Instead, I got snowed on as I was walking to work from the Metro. Viva life.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | February 18, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Well I'm one person who's checking into your blog more frequently.

And look at that blue sky and green grass.

Posted by: VelocityAtrocity | February 18, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

you're mean

Posted by: NatsNut | February 18, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Steinz -

Think of it as getting in on the ground floor of a hot new stock.

Oops, bad analogy.

OK, think of following the Nats now as watching a hot new prospect work his way through the system.

I'd better stop now.

Posted by: WebberDC | February 18, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you, Lindemann. Maybe next year my hubby and I will make it there.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 18, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

the crowds will get better when more of the position players report.

Posted by: featurepresentation | February 18, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Someday it will be me down there watching the Nats as they take their first steps towards a National League pennant!

Posted by: templetontherat | February 18, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Keep those posts coming! I loved the Terrell Young conversation.

Posted by: Natsgal | February 18, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Dan - I think I'm getting blogged out on all the little bits, and about now want to hear how hitting, pitching, fielding, etc., is going. We have been waiting since 5 months or so after all.

Re Da Meat - how heavy does he look? Does he look healthy?

Posted by: Traveler8 | February 18, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Man this is *exactly* what I needed to see on a day that started with snow.

I've gone down for ST for the past two years and might make it again this year .. it is very good for the soul. Perhaps better than those hot, August night games even.

Thanks for the reporting, Dan.

Posted by: ihatewalks | February 18, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Somebody asked that we post here, so here is my post. Baseball sucks! It was much better when Mickey was drunk and the Kansas City Athletics were a Yankee farm team.

Posted by: mortified469 | February 18, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse