Caps Fans Say, "It's All Your Fault"

A little while back, I was talking to Karl Alzner about Caps crowd noise, when he said this: "After one of the goals the fans stood up in the far corner from us and kind of did a college chant. They went '1, 2, 3, 4' for all the goals we scored, and I thought that was the coolest thing ever. I thought it was the best thing I had ever seen."

Turns out that chant's been going on for a couple years, but several fans told me it has gotten exponentially more participation over the past few weeks. Well, I spent the second period Sunday with those Corner Bar fans, hoping to see a goal so I could hear the chant for myself. The Caps decided to score four in that period. Between the chants for wings, and the taunts that "our Swedes are better looking than your Swedes," and the questions about whether or not I brought ear plugs, I took a bit of video. Here's the chant, and the chanters.

There's a solid ribbon of "All Your Fault" folks running from the glass all the way up to the 400 level, but it's pretty much limited to that one corner. The chanters would like to see it spread around the bowl. We'll see.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 3, 2009; 3:44 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hair Extensions and Mohawks at DCU
Next: Jim Zorn on Potato Chip Boxes

Comments

We used to do this one at Cornell... but with many more repetitions of "It's All Your Fault." I mean, the goalie's got to feel it, after all.

Posted by: empsg59 | February 3, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

What's the lower limit to the number of goals necessary to do the chant?

I'd assume it sounds pretty lame with only 1 or 2.

Love the features, keep them coming :)

Posted by: Joran | February 3, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm partial to...

GOALIE...

SIEVE!

GOALIE...

SIEVE!

Posted by: Zilla05 | February 3, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

My seats are in the same section and down the row from these guys; it's worth noting that Tom has -- by his own account -- "more than 60" game-worn sweaters and he wears a different one every night.

Posted by: greggwiggins | February 3, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I think its awesome. I'd love to hear "it's all your fault" yelled a few extra times rather than just once.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | February 3, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm also partial to the:

You're not a goalie, you're a sieve!
You're not a sieve, you're a funnel!
You're not a funnel, you're a vacuum!
You're not a vacuum, you're a black hole!
You're not a black hole, YOU JUST SUCK!
YOU JUST SUCK! YOU JUST SUCK! etc.

/also Cornell

Posted by: MaxWass | February 3, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Briiiiii-aaaan
Briiiiii-aaaan
Briiiiii-aaaan

YOU SUCK!

Looooo-serrrrrr

It's All your fault!
It's All your fault!
It's All your fault!

Posted by: Grooven | February 3, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it...

Posted by: Krazijoe | February 4, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

JHU Lacrosse fans count up their goals every time they score (after the first goal, I believe) to the beat of a drum and end it with a cheer of "We want more!"

Posted by: BKMD | February 4, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I don't use this because I feel it is inaccurate - especially when a goalie is pulled or something of the like. I like my taunts to be accurate :P

Posted by: nuftjedi | February 4, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Which is exactly what happened on Sunday. The seven goals weren't *all* Auld's fault :)
______________

Posted by: nuftjedi | February 4, 2009 8:46 AM

Posted by: Scott_in_Shaw | February 4, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

"All Your Fault" chant....GREATEST Thing EVER!!! I picked this up earlier this season. If we could get the whole phone booth to pull this off...wow, talk about Unleashing The Fury!!!

Posted by: j3rockstar | February 4, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I'm with the last couple of posts, why belittle a great goal by blaming the goalie. Was Semin's goal Auld's fault, I don't think so. Maybe with all the creative writers on this board we could come up with our own original chant, then have it flashed on the corner score boards after a goal to help it catch on.

Posted by: ds_kelly | February 4, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

@MaxWass: We did that one at Harvard too. I love it!

Posted by: capsfan26 | February 4, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and lighten up, people - it's not meant to be literal - the point is to get the crowd fired up and maybe rattle the goalie a little bit. Remember how awesome it used to be when we played the Flyers and the entire crowd (well, all the Caps fans, anyway) would be chanting "HEX-tall, HEX-tall"? Or are you all too new to the Caps bandwagon to remember those days? ;)

Posted by: capsfan26 | February 4, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

The "all your fault" chant, which comes from colleges pretty much everywhere, is missing a key part at verizon center.

They count the goals and go straight into its all your fault. (Incorrect)

Example...for 4 goals

1,2,3,4....we want more goals...sieve sieve sieve sieve sieve sieve sieve...its all your fault, its all your fault, its all your fault (youtube it, michigan and miami of ohio)

Posted by: washcaps1268 | February 4, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

we did the chant at BU too. #1 college hockey team in America, on the way to another beanpot I might add!

It's all your fault! Sieve

It's all your fault! Sieve.

...

Posted by: db73 | February 4, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm a senior at Cornell right now; my friends and I have been die-hards for four years. Our version of the goalie cheer is:

(begin by counting however many goals we have scored) i.e.

ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR, FIVE,

SIEVE! SIEVE!SIEVE!SIEVE!SIEVE!SIEVE!SIEVE!SIEVE!

IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT, IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT, IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

Posted by: jfabian | February 4, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

add in "WE WANT MORE!" after the goals, haha

Posted by: jfabian | February 4, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

PEEEEEEEETER GAAAAAAAAAAABRIELLLLLLL!

10:00/2nd

RCFs know.

Posted by: thecolonelblimp | February 4, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to take Cornell credit for starting the cheer as it was done for the Big Red in Ken Dryden's time. The Caps version, though is missing one part. The correct and more fun and poetic version is

1, 2, 3, 4
We want more
It's all your fault....

Posted by: fehrrocks | February 4, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I think it was Wisconsin who started the "black hole" cheer, back around 1982.

It has, of course, overspread the ECAC like a contagion.

The "all your fault" has been a Harvard staple for years, as well as the "safety school" and the "Zeta Beta Rump Roast."

Posted by: bs2004 | February 9, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse