D.C. United on Caps Kiss Cam

If you were at Saturday's Caps game and you have good eyes and like to stare at the Kiss Cam, you may have noticed at least two D.C. United moments.

1) "I was on the JumboTron," Devon McTavish said. "I got booed, too. I was on the Kiss Cam with [Bryan] Namoff's wife; I kissed her on the cheek and I got booed....It was funny, we were just talking about it, she was like, 'What are you gonna do if the camera gets on us?' and right then, right when she finished, it jumped on us. And I was like, 'Uh, this is awkward.' Then I tried to fake like I was going in, and kissed her on the cheek, and then Namoff started yelling my name. It got awkward. And then I got booed."

2) Also on the screen: DCU VP for Communications Doug Hicks, with his wife.

"You didn't see this on tape?" Ben Olsen said today. "They put Doug and his wife on the big screen, so I came out of the blue, and I grabbed Doug and kissed him on the cheek, and the place kind of went nuts. They were like 'Aiiiiigh!!!!!!!' And then he got kind of flustered, and then he kissed his wife, and then the announcer's like, 'Oh, he goes both ways!' Everybody was losing it."

Unclear whether the fans who were losing it actually knew that Ben Olsen was the Kiss Cam interloper. As for the actual game?

"It's sick, man," McTavish said. "I mean, Ovie was on fire. Honestly, the atmosphere's great. Wizards games and Caps games, they don't even compare at all. Wizards games, everyone's sitting on their hands, and Caps games, everyone gets up for it. It's a lot better. I feel like it's like our game, the atmosphere."

"They put on a great show there," Olsen said. "It's similar to a D.C. United crowd in a lot of ways. There's a lot of crossover with D.C. United fans. It's passionate fans that are there to watch the game and root their team on to win."

When I asked Olsen the most popular athlete in D.C. question 18 months ago, he answered "Gilbert, Gilbert, Gilbert, Gilbert, Gilbert," but this isn't 2007.

"Oh yeah," he answered, when I asked if Oveckin was now No. 1. "He's nasty, though, I'll tell you that.... Once you dominate a sport like he's doing, you have no choice BUT to appreciate him more than some of the others. I mean, he's got 36 goals right now, you know? That's the equivalent of Portis scoring two touchdowns a game. He's insane right now."

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 2, 2009; 2:41 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How to Love the Skins and Caps at Once
Next: Local Poll Week XII: Now VCU

Comments

For what its worth, there's a lot of crossover. 8 of us Screaming Eagles have a Caps partial plan together - we were at the game on Saturday and the Kiss Cam thing was a huge highlight in a day that was filled with them.

Posted by: gocaps2 | February 2, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if this was discussed already, but I think he spells it "Ovi," without the 'e'.

Posted by: jburksva | February 2, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Good thing my drinks didn't cloud my vision, I was swearing that was McTavish.

Hey Paul,

Do any of those guys want to split seats in my area?

Posted by: Section117 | February 2, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

The Ben Olsen thing is hilarious. No idea that it was him at the time because he just jumped into the frame for a second or two, but now that I know it was him, its a million times funnier. And the place went nuts when he pulled that move.

Posted by: MeatSweats | February 2, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Where's the tape?
For United fans in attendance and familiar with these guys that musta been awesome!

Posted by: DadRyan | February 2, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

It took us a second and then the SE group started pointing at the screen and yelling that's Namoff's wife!

Did Doug mention if Ben's beard tickled?
;-p

Posted by: goaldigger | February 2, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

That'd be nice if I went to the game yesterday, Devon McTavish is so hot!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 2, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

117 - I might be willing to split seats for games I don't already have. Don't know about the rest of the crew but I can ask. I also have some hookups that get me great seats in 121 on occasion but I'm always down for more games. Drop me an e-mail.

jburks - you're right. He spells it "Ovi".

Posted by: gocaps2 | February 2, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

A few years ago, people were talking about who the most popular and successful DC athlete was and there was a good competition. Arenas, Portis, Ovie, Soriano.

Now there is really no issue is there? And I think Ovechkin will hold that position for a long time to come.

Posted by: poguesmahone | February 3, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse