Gilbert: Do Not Disturb

Yup. As reported, Gilbert Arenas sure is wearing a hotel Do Not Disturb sign around his neck. As today's practice wound down, Gilbert (who was just shooting around while wearing the sign) handed it to a trainer type. Who no doubt put it in the official container for "bizarre neck jokes worn by injured superstars."

Then Gilbert played HORSE with DeShawn Stevenson and Nick Young. Young won, though Gilbert gets points for attempting a bomb from out of bounds with one foot on the wall. He failed.

Then he played some one-on-one with Nick Young. That was off limits for the media, but Young discussed the game after he left the court.

"He cheats all the time," Young said. "You never get a chance to really finish the game because of all the controversy, you know?"

Young said the games break down into about 50 percent playing and 50 percent arguing, and that Gilbert "plays little mind games" and then mobilizes teammates to endorse his version of history.

"You know, it's about being in the League so long," Young said. "So [I could be] up, and if I don't give him a call, he says 'I quit,' and then nobody wins. And then he ends up winning like that somehow."

And yeah, that was the highlight of today's practice.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 5, 2009; 2:59 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats World Series Odds Improving
Next: Wizards Try to Be Happy

Comments

Well if this basketball thing doesn't work out, Gilbert could certainly take his Guaranteed dough and try to land a gig with the Baltimore Blast.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | February 5, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey Dan I started the first Fasbook group supporting a Post sports blog, so I think I win somehow.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 5, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Why are you people not outraged by this man! Who does he think he is? Really!?

I'm still in shock that he seems to have been given a free pass for all of the lack of regard for the current state of affairs at the Wizards organization. Is this some kind of big joke to him? I went to the Clippers game last weekend (which barely passed for basketball) and they were giving away hundreds of tickets at the beginning of the game. And GA wasn't even there!

The fans are not amused, and neither am I.

At the end of the day, the Wizards are paying him Michael Jordan Money, Tim Duncan Money, Shaquille O'Neil Money (Championship Winners, BTW). We have to ask ourselves, is this behavior that any of them would exhibit?

I think not.

Washington Post, get to the bottom of this! It's your job! This would never fly in NY or LA...

Posted by: FbAller | February 5, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Fballer... shhhh.... the Wizards are trying to get as many ping pong balls as possible... haha

I think Gilbert is healthy & they won't let him play because he could improve our record.

Posted by: tony325 | February 5, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I concur with Tony. Given Gil's history of coming back prematurely from injury, they are likely protecting their investment for the next five years.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | February 5, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Thanks a lot Dan for the info ;) – it’s greatly appreciated! I mean, was that all a “test” perhaps, because, if I’m reading this right, he took off his “Do Not Disturb” sign eventually?...Well, if that is right, maybe that was his way of saying: “Ok, Dan/media people/whomever - - you guys could come and ask me some questions now”?? Ok, even I’m unsure, but that could’ve been the case. Ya gotta knock when the tag is off the door…I could be wrong, but either way, THANKS Dan! Keep up your great reporting!

Posted by: TheRealBRIDGE | February 5, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

fballer,

Have you seen James Harden?

Posted by: B_A_ | February 5, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Well if any of you heard the interview on The John Thompson Show today with Ivan Carter, you will see it doesn't matter how many ping pong balls are in the machine with Wizards on it. As a season ticket holder I was very much disappointed with answers to the Coach's question about the future of the team and direction. Believe me I suffer every game , but the light @ the end of the tunnel would be to grab one of the top 3 picks preferebly the 1st and start the process of returning to our winning ways. As Mr. Carter explained it we can forget about the pick unless it is packaged with somebody (Etan & Darius) or some other combination contractual wise to work, because Mr. Pollin will not pay the luxury tax on a high draft pick. Also part of the reason we lost Roger Mason Jr. was because of the luxury. So it looks like even with all the losing we as fans endure,we are in for a long haul. Hopefully someone is giving Mr. Carter some wrong information & and we can get better with the upcoming draft. My idea of losing contracts, and the most viable is (AJ with ET) , because he can be an important cog for a Championship team. Nobody seems to want to part ways with an aging player while he is of value!

Posted by: bossclifnpooh2 | February 5, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FbAller | February 5, 2009 4:32 PM

Stephon Marbury called while you were out. He wanted to know what kind of fool would buy tickets to a Wizards v Clippers game.

Posted by: bryc3 | February 6, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse