How to Love the Skins and Caps at Once

Like this. This guy was sitting on the steps of the Portrait Gallery, across the street from the Verizon Center, when he was spotted by Bog Reader Brian H. He apparently had this Frankenstein creation specially made. And of all the members of the Redskins, the one who most screams "hockey player" is undoubtedly Antwaan Randle El. Here's hoping the Caps half of this was once an Eric Fehr jersey.

And in another, "Wow, really?" moment, observe 16-year old Michael Hicks of Brandywine, in an old-school No. 43 jersey. Sunday was about the fifth time he's gone mohawk-and-Caps-themed-head-paint, but the first time he gave up his scalp for Tomas Fleischmann.

"I just love the way he plays, so fast and and skilled with his stick," Hicks told me. "Actually, I've noticed two other people with Fleischmann jerseys, but it's nice to see he's getting some love. He's even got his own video they play between periods now."

Personally, I'd take a teenage scalp tribute over an intermission video.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 2, 2009; 12:44 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Southeast Sasha and His Costumed Fans
Next: D.C. United on Caps Kiss Cam

Comments

Fail, and semi-Fail.

From Superbowl post - pass on the foot gear, fail on the 87 jersey.

Posted by: just_say_ov | February 2, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

He's homeless right?

Posted by: twoeightnine_ | February 2, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Just when I thought this area's fans go do a hockey sweater right, then this happens.

Fail.

Posted by: Section117 | February 2, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Why do people insist on pulling crap like this? "If I wear a Skins jersey then people will think I'm not a Caps fan, but if I wear a Caps jersey people will think I'm not a Skins fan! Oh no!"

Posted by: davekempson | February 2, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Complete fail. In fact, alert the good folks at Failblog.org.

Immediately.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | February 2, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Fleischmann is my second favorite Capital, after OVIE.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 2, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

If you are a legit caps fan and you're at a caps game then wear a WHOLE caps jersey. Then, in a few months if you are a legit skins fan and find yourself in that stadium then wear a WHOLE skins jersey. This is like the people who scream "O" during the anthem. I'm glad you enjoy more than one local team (nobody should be held to just one), but last time I checked I wasn't sitting in Camden Yard, Fed Ex field, or wherever (and if I got those wrong, I apologize- I only watch hockey). I don't need to know all your hobbies, and when you do something stupid like waste money ripping up perfectly good jerseys for no reason you make us all look bad.

Posted by: marigold13 | February 2, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

At this rate, the fans at VC are a major producer of "fail" hockey sweater violations and are rapidly filling up the Puckdaddy blog over at the NHL sports page at Yahoo.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | February 3, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I have to admire the dedication on the "Flash-hawk" but I have to blow the whistle on the Cap-Skins jersey, that is a major foul for jersey misconduct, as someone said earlier if you go to a Caps game wear a Caps jersey, if you go to a Skins game wear a Skins jersey but not both.

Posted by: vivaep | February 3, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

HEYYYYY THATSSSS MEEEE ON THE BOTTTTOMMMM!!!!
Haha he interviewed me just before the start of the game. He is a really nice guy. Tomas Fleischmann is by far my favorite capital right now. All time either Bondra or Kolzig. Anyway that guy on top is at caps games alot, probably a season ticket holder. If you ever go to a caps home game look for the Signs my sister makes including the ORIGINAL Unleash the Fury and also look for me with my mohawk, fleischmann jersey and fleischmann sign
SEC 103 row D TO THE CUP WE GO!

Posted by: hockeyhawk2477 | February 5, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse