Morning Look: A Boudreau Hyannisport Jersey

I was standing in the concourse yesterday talking to some folks from 107-108 (dubbed "The Corner Bar" by its residents), when a longtime Caps fan walked by, wearing this jersey.

"Wow," one of the Corner Bar types said, approvingly. "A Slap Shot jersey."

Indeed. More precisely, it's a Hyannisport Presidents sweater, spiced up with Bruce Boudreau's name and Hollywood number. I mean, that's better than a Jim Zorn Cal Poly Pomona jersey. Naturally, I sprinted after her and asked how many Caps fans actually get this esoteric Slap Shot reference.

"Very few," she said. "It kind of lets you know who the real hardcore Caps are."

She said she's loved Boudreau since his arrival, and that he's her favorite Capital. In an effort to show this support, she went to look for a Presidents jersey on eBay--thinking "You can buy anything on eBay, right?"--and was guided to the Web site of Mad Brothers, a Canadian company that sells all sorts of Slap Shot apparel. Done and done. Now all it needs is the Boudreau autograph.

(While we were talking, who should walk by but Nats season ticket holder and Meet the Press moderator David Gregory. Should have asked him what he thought of the jersey.)

After his press conference, I showed the photos to the coach.

"Where'd they get that?" asked Boudreau, who said he has no keepsakes at all from his Hollywood moment. "Wow. I think it looks better on her than it did on me."

Caps PR superstar Paul Rovnak has recently proposed a theory that hockey fans personalize their official gear more than fans of any other sport, and it's hard to argue with the claim. The concourse lately is a bountiful garden of slightly weird creativity, as you'll see in a bit. Anyhow, the Boudreau fan wrote me back last night to further explain.

"I got the Slap Shot jersey because it is uniquely Boudreau," she wrote me. "To boil it down, I think all of 'the adventures of Gabby' speak to his character, and it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! I've been a Caps fan for many years and this is the first time that a coach has been my favorite Cap. I don't wear that jersey to every game, but the more I wear it the more people recognize it. Like I said, only the real Caps fans get it, but there seems to be more and more of those every day!"

So, to steal a thought, approve or disapprove? As if I need to ask.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 2, 2009; 9:12 AM ET
Categories:  Caps , Morning Look
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Notes on a Super Bowl Caps Game
Next: Southeast Sasha and His Costumed Fans

Comments

A refreshing pass.

Posted by: Section117 | February 2, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I wish I'd thought of it first. Pass.

Posted by: ThisGuy | February 2, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Whatever the opposite of feeling shame is, that's what she should feel.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 2, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Since I've been known to go to Caps games wearing what is probably the only Cowichan Valley Capitals sweater in the D.C. area -- it's a team in Duncan, British Columbia that plays in the Junior A BCHL, and the sweater got a great double-take from Olie Kolzig (who spent his teenaged years in Union Bay, BC) at a signing session a few years ago -- I understand the appeal of being unique. I can only say I'm jealous and I may have to go online and get a "Gabby" Presidents' sweater of my own. Also worth noting: there was also somebody running around Nationals Park last baseball season wearing a #8 "Ovechkin" Nationals' jersey.

Posted by: greggwiggins | February 2, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Whatever the opposite of feeling shame is, that's what she should feel.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 2, 2009 10:23 AM

Pride? Definitely a nice jersey, agree.

Posted by: Joran | February 2, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm just trying to figure out why I wouldn't be considered a "real caps fan" since I don't recognize the jersey of a 1970's movie extra... I'll turn in my "true fan card" to this "real caps fan" next time I'm at Verizon. Shame on Me.

Posted by: Scofield | February 2, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Chest_Rockwell:
HA!!! That's a good one. :-)

Posted by: Boo- | February 2, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Good jersey - pass, but no, understanding it does not make or break you as a "real caps fan."

Posted by: Semvechkin | February 2, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

EPIC PASS.

I was sitting a row or two behind her. And the people behind me were discussing Gregory's wife, but I didn't see him. I wonder if he only stayed for a bit and I missed him?

Posted by: Scott_in_Shaw | February 2, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse