Morning Look: Hat Tricks and Nat Hats

So several people have asked me what happens to all those dozens if not hundreds of hats that poured onto the ice Sunday afternoon. "Does Slap Shot get first dibs on the hats?" Reader Tim e-mailed. "With the struggling economy, has there been a decrease in the number of hats thrown onto the ice?" And so on.

The boring answer: the hats are placed into giant garbage cans, and then donated to charity. And Ovechkin likes seeing them.

"It's so cool and especially when we play in sold-out and lots of hats go to the ice," he said on Sunday. "It's amazing feeling. I wish it come every game. It's good for Ted, so I'm happy for him too."

That's right, it's good for Ted, because all those people who donated their hats to charity now need new Caps lids. So I got to looking around the Internet in an effort to find the best Caps hat for such a cap-less Cap fan, when I discovered this sad truth: there is no Best Caps Hat. They're all boring. Sure, Ovechkin's personal line of hats are pretty striking, but they're not technically Caps hats.

In fact, there are virtually no interesting Redskins or Wizards hats either, at least not that I could find. But Nats hat? Oh yeah. There are interesting Nats hats. Go here for a glance at the weirdness, and shield your eyes if necessary.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 4, 2009; 9:54 AM ET
Categories:  Caps , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jim Zorn on Potato Chip Boxes
Next: Weird, Wonderful Caps Fans: Earrings and Boas

Comments

Mottrams covered this site about 6 months ago

Posted by: JDP_ | February 4, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

When you say donated does 8 sign em and they donate the proceeds? Or they bring em to good will?

Posted by: alex35332 | February 4, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

In terms of Sick hats to Sucky team ratio i would have to say this is the one catagory (besides losses and lowest viewers) that the nats are at the top of. The real question is who the hell is buying them? there are only like 10 proud nats fans on the planet and half of them are on the team/in the ownership.

Posted by: QuintenD | February 4, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I don't want an "interesting" hat. I want my basic red hat with a weagle on the front!

Actually, during msot of last season, the Caps were pretty desperate to fill seats and I kept getting offers for discounted tickets and a free hat was included. Its the basic navy one with the Capitals logo (not the eagle) on the front. We ended up with 12 of the things! I bring one to every game "just in case." Although I did give some as jokey christmas presents. "I'm trying to convert you! Abandon the dark side of the Penguins!"

Posted by: RedBirdie | February 4, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I like going in sporting goods stores and seeing Nationals hats in Redskins colors.

I find that hilarious.

Posted by: FlyersSuck | February 4, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

@flyerssuck

I'm still trying to find one!!!

Posted by: 3tripleiii | February 4, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Some of those are truly craptacular. I actually kinda like the fireworks ones, heh.

See also http://www.lids.com/did/1361

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 4, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Dan,
A number of weeks back the question was asked on CSN, to Joe B. and the Laucher, about what happens to the hats that get thrown on the ice, and Joe B. said they are taken to guest services to be 'reclaimed' but those that are left over, are then donated.

I could be wrong though.

Posted by: goskinsgo | February 4, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure the caps that have been created are one of the only good things that has happened because of arrival of the Expos.

Posted by: sitruc | February 4, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse