Morning Look: Welcome to Viera

Because I'm nothing if not a slave to Web traffic, I came down to Viera for a few days. Ha! Wait until the accounting department hears about this one!

I'm also chatting today at 2 p.m.; submit your questions here. Ask me about college basketball rankings, Terp mohawks, Viera dining options, and skipping Caps games in favor of this trip. Do not ask me about the Nats' starting rotation. I'll just ignore you.

The dugouts here at the 'Coast are sponsored by National City bank, which the New York Times recently said "has come to symbolize the crisis that is hobbling regional lenders across the nation." Yeah.

What else do I have to report? When I checked in at my Cocoa Beach hotel, the woman at the front desk asked me where "Mr. Lavar" was. Turns out she was looking for Washington Times columnist Thom Loverro. Guess he left quite an impression last year.

My Cocoa Beach neighborhood is clearly designed for family travel. For junior, there's the 24-hour Ron Jon surfshop, which is roughly the size of Nationals Park. For mom, there's both IHOP and Denny's within a short drive. For dad, there's "Cheaters" gentlemen's club, plus an Oriental Massage Parlor. All class.

The hotel directory lists several fine dining options, including N.Y. Pizza House ("Home of the Mackin' Slice"), Dogs Family Sports Bar & Grill ("Where Your Always a Winner"), Florida's Seafood ("Where Shrimp Happens"), Greg's Steak & Seafood Grill ("A Rare Place Serving Food Well-Done") and Paesano's Pizza ("Open Every Day Until Midnight").

As for Viera, "Welcome to the end of the world," a fellow scribbler just told me. Why thanks.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 17, 2009; 8:17 AM ET
Categories:  Morning Look , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MMA Fighter Mike Easton: "All D.C.'d Up"
Next: Spring Training Means Venison Jerky

Comments

Those are some incredibly sad restaurant slogans. The lack of attention to detail in naming your restaurant "Dogs Family Sports Bar & Grill" and then spelling "you're" as "your" makes one fear getting botulism from eating anything with canned vegetables in it, which one would have to assume is everything with vegetables in it. "A Rare Place Serving Food Well-Done" would work (albeity stupidly) if steaks weren't best medium-rare. It appears a literate restaurateur would clean up the market for the discriminating palate there. Which I'm guessing is a small one.

Of course, I'm guessing the economic climate in Florida isn't conducive to the opening of a non-sad restaurant:

But I'm sure that, as a trained professional, you'll nevertheless be able to fuel yourself somehow.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | February 17, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the ST report. Will look forward to further dispatches.

BTW, I always thought that "gentlemen's club" was a misnomer for establishments like "Cheaters." I would also note that typo- and error-ridden signage is not limited to the state of Florida.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 17, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Was the "impression" that Loverro left a giant buttprint on the lobby couch?

Posted by: DC2CNY | February 17, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Dan - I grew up in Brevard County, now you know why I moved to DC immediately after college in 1987!!

In all seriousness, my parents live about three miles from the stadium, I've made it down to spring training each year we've had the Nats, and it is nice to get away from DC for a few warm days and see the boys in action.

But do yourself a favor if you can, go to Kennedy Space Center and check out the interactive Space Shuttle exhibits they have in the visitors center, very cool. And if you're lucky you will be there on Feb 27 which I believe is the next Shuttle launch.

Cheers!

Posted by: kthhken | February 17, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Has Bowden traded-in his Segway for a golf cart? And nice touch on that laser-printed sign on the front of the cart: very well done. Is it really necessary to call out that this cart is Jimbo's? How many golf carts are out there right now?

Posted by: joemktg1 | February 17, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Cocoa Beach is a dump. Really, most of Florida is a dump. But that having been said, Dan don't forget to patronize one of the many, many tattoo establishments down there. And I'll bet that "Cheaters" has as many interesting stories in it as the Iceland women's team handball, uh, team. Go get 'em, tiger.

Posted by: simpleton1 | February 17, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

According to Harlan's piece this morning, Pat Corrales also has a cart (as well he should). Unless he cart-jacked JimBo's. hmmm...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 17, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

FTR, I did not mean to imply in any way, shape, or form that sad restaurant slogans are unique to Florida. Indeed, I salute those hardy restaurateurs whose entrepreneurship may well keep this country going through our present tough times. But those sure are some sad restaurant slogans.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | February 17, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

2 years ago, we saw Goozzie hijack a cart and was zooming around the complex in it.

Posted by: VladiHondo | February 17, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I didn't think that you had implied that, Lindemann, so no worries there.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 17, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse