Operation Scheyerface v2.0

(By Toni L. Sandys - TWP)

"I think I passed out your ticket," Chris Booze said apologetically to Jimmy Johnston, 30 minutes before tip-off tonight.

Johnston cringed.

"It had a Scheyerface on it," Booze explained. "What was I supposed to do?"

Pretty much everything had a Scheyerface on it last night, during a game dubbed Operation Scheyerface v2.0 by organizers. The Facebook event, created by Johnston Sunday night, had more than 1,100 confirmed attendees by the time the Comcast Center big screen ran the pre-game message about treating opponents with respect.

Organizers printed out 2,400 copies of Jon Scheyer's face on computer paper. They made 24 larger banners, which they spread throughout the student section. They also encouraged individual creativity, and here the fans didn't disappoint. Scheyer's face was everywhere, in all sorts of creative interpretations, from stand-alones to Michael Jackson Photoshops.

Matt Perlstein went for the collage approach, melding about two dozen smaller Scheyerfaces into one larger whole.

"It just makes me want to vomit, you know, to look at him," Perlstein said. "It's scary."

Cain Jeffries and Dan Dirks went for size, creating a PDF Scheyerface that required 25 separate pieces of paper. Their motivation was pure; "we wanted to get on ESPN," Jeffries said.

Alyssa Perrone went for visual clarity, trimming the edges of her Scheyerface to form a cleanly disembodied head. She thought that stood out more, though she agreed that her arts-and-crafts effort, reinforced by makeshift posterboard, carried certain middle school undertones.

"But I don't think middle schoolers would be this mean," she added. "I guess that's the fun of college basketball. You can act like a middle schooler while you're taking upper-level classes."

Unlike many of her contemporaries, Perrone admitted to feeling occasional twinges of guilt over Scheyerfacedom, and even more so over the signs making fun of Scheyer's sister. But big-time college athletes, she reasoned, get plenty of perks. Thousands of copies of your grimacing face are just one of the downsides.

And even some Duke fans found it difficult not to laugh. Pete Swanson, who drove down to the game from New Jersey, even grabbed one of the posters himself for his scrapbook. "Hey, he can make whatever face he wants if he puts up a game like he did the other night," Swanson said.

The Scheyerface itself was described in various ways. Some said it appeared the author had encountered an unpleasant odor. Others focused more on the mouth. At least one fan said she'd be equally exercised if a Maryland player made funny faces; "Maryland's awesome, we don't have people who make faces like that," Becky Mehringer said.

But if you started thinking too deeply about Operation Scheyerface, you'd remember that a guy named Michael Jordan used to make his share of funny faces while on the court. And also that all of us probably make unfortunate faces, occasionally, in our weaker moments.

"All the time," Jeffries agreed. "But he gets filmed doing it. Plus, Duke is so good that we need to find something to make fun of, you know?"

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 25, 2009; 10:29 PM ET
Categories:  Terps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Concerning Brendan Haywood's Health
Next: Dukies Take the High Road

Comments

Loved it. Good work kids.

Next time we'll just have to pray that one ref doesn't work our game (or just hope he doesn't bet on Duke again).

Either that or maybe, possibly, make a free throw once in a while.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 26, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Decent game... perhaps Maryland fans can bring all of those Scheyerface posters to the NIT with them.

Posted by: ol-brob | February 26, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Scheyer makes a face! That’s genius and very hypocritical since their best player is the ugliest person playing in the ACC when he smiles. Vasquez looks like a mini me version of George Muresan with life menacing acne. It just goes to show the form of intellect a Maryland education will generate. With the entire student body chanting obscenities to players and cheering when an opposing player gets injured, it’s a travesty to even call these people fans.

The only thing that eclipses Maryland’s offensiveness is their mediocrity. They have one quality win a year and then exit early from the NIT. Stay classy Maryland fans and relish your obscurity.

Posted by: awinner23 | February 26, 2009 4:54 AM | Report abuse

What is the difference between the dude above me and Maryland fans?

Maryland fans get get filmed or have their picture taken while chanting obscenities. You hide behind the internet while posting your obscenities.

Stay classy dude and don’t spill relish on your sweatpants.

Posted by: _newt_ | February 26, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

At times like this, it's nice to remember that Maryland has won a national championship more recently than Duke has.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | February 26, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Steinberg - Don't give these classless "fans" a public forum; doing so only promotes their behavior. The school administration must be proud!

Posted by: dselwell | February 26, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Barno - you must have taken lessons from Gary in how to come up with excuses after every loss.

I will give UMD fans credit for one thing this year. Scheyerface was at least somewhat creative and was much better than "F U JJ" chants or throwing batteries. I would have like to seen if the students rioted after a win against the #7 team but I guess I'll have to wait until next year.

Posted by: SkinsFan991 | February 26, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Fun Fact - The only sports fans in history to have ever shouted obscinities are Maryland Sports fans.

And the refing was a bit questionable to say the least, every questionable contact on either end went against MD. The foul that Vasquez went out on was Coach K classic call.

Posted by: M__N | February 26, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

While I agree that it was one of the most terribly officiated games I have ever seen, it's hard to blame the refs when the Terps were as poor from the line as they were.

Posted by: sirbobalew | February 26, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

163-111

Posted by: inchesfromyourface | February 26, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

The Scheyerface tactic is amusing and is acceptable harrassment within good sportsmanship.

However, at least one activity crossed over the line, the chant "F*** You Singler!" after a Maryland player twisted an ankle steppin on Singler's foot. It couldn't have been just a few rowdies, it had to have been a substantial part of the Maryland fans to have been heard clearly over the ESPN broadcast.

I have lived in the D.C. area and have been an observer and occasional fan of Maryland sports since the Len Elmore and Tom McMillen days. I admire Gary Williams' talent and competitive fire. I admire the current Maryland team.

HOWEVER, the Maryland fans by and large are the worst, most boorish fans I have witnessed in my years as a college sports fan and this situation is not new. I first noticed it when I sat among Maryland fans at the ACC tournament when it was held in D.C. in 2005.

They bring discredit to the university and the so does the university administration's inability or unwillingness to control it.

BTW, I don't know who JJCarpeter1 is, but when I clicked on the link to sign it this system assigned that handle to me. If Mr./Ms. Carpenter is a real person he/she may or may not agree with what I've written.

NovaMan

Posted by: JJCarpenter1 | February 26, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: awinner23 | February 26, 2009 4:54 AM

This might be the clearest example of hypocrisy ever witnessed on a posting board. Awinner23 lectures Maryland fans to "stay classy" and complains about their chants. In the very same breath, he calls one of our players "ugly" and refers to their acne.

What a sad and pitiful human being you must be.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 26, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsFan991 | February 26, 2009 9:40 AM

One of the two "excuses" that I listed was our free throw shooting. Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking mentioning that as an excuse.

The other "excuse" was the officiating. Yeah, you're right, you can never blame officiating because officials never call a bad game.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 26, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

The Hoyas wish they had this kind of debate going on about them.

Let us not forget.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | February 26, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't there, what was the student reaction when Scheyer made the dagger 3 that ended it?

Posted by: dcborn61 | February 26, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Maryland Fans are second only to WVU fans. Classless.

Everyone is all excited about the Terps but they got beat by 29 by Clemson and lost again to Duke. Cant wait for another early round NIT exit for the Turtles. Or better yet, the CBI!

College Park is a dump.

Posted by: SkinsOsHokies | February 26, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

It was a good game but it is pretty clear that the calls did not go Martlands way last night and it has been that way since they first entered the ACC.

TO all of the haters of Maryland - I have seen a few from VT and Duke. You all go to school to get a job in this area. Your little nubs college town can't even compare to this area so get back to school and apply to be my intern for the summer.

Spoiled nerds.

Posted by: jason5 | February 26, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

That was the most JUVENILE and MORONIC thing I ever saw...and HILARIOUS too!

Posted by: iamasofaking | February 26, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Dselwell, I've seen lots more offensive things, and thought this was kind of funny, but regardless, I think ESPN provides a bigger platform than the D.C. Sports Bog. It's not like they were hard to notice, right?

Carpenter/NOVA, funny, we couldn't actually understand the chant. Must have been clearer on TV. Anyhow, I saw someone talking about how Maryland fans were cheering when Nolan Smith went down, but I think that was over replays of the Dave Neal three. Once Nolan got up, he got a nice hand. I don't think Maryland fans really want to see concussed players.

DCBorn, the reaction to the Scheyer three included a lot of hands on heads.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | February 26, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Maryland Fan - Bravo on your extremely clever and original use of the "Scheyerface" last night. One problem - it was neither clever NOR original; UNC fans did that two years ago when Scheyer was a freshman. Nice try, though.

I think everyone in the room can agree that MD fan is without question the most classless, foul fan in the ACC, and the cheering when Nolan Smith was on the floor and clearly injured would have been shocking if not for the fact that the rest of college basketball has come to expect that trash from you people.

Let's see. When you lose, it's because of the officiating. It's because Coach K has the refs on his payroll. It's because Coach K made that scrunched up rat face and the refs couldn't relent. Let's try this one out - you lost because Duke's team is BETTER than yours, and Duke's stars came through in the end. Saying anything else discredits the tremendous effort MD put forth last night. They played their butts off, and Gary SHOULD be proud of his team.

I know it is hard to be objective sometimes, but let's try and give it a shot, eh?

ACC Basketball Fan

Posted by: troach42 | February 26, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

troach42,
I'm guessing you're new to this internet thing, or else you'd know that "scheyerface" was a product of maryland's old scout board. maryland fans also did this (first) scheyer's freshman year (not UNC). google it if you don't believe me.

Posted by: superlele007 | February 26, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious. Loosen up people!

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | February 27, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse