Ovechkin, Crosby, McGuire and the Verbal Stuff

There were plenty of post-game questions this afternoon about the verbal jabbering between the Caps and the Penguins. The spicy chatter continued after the game, with Donald Brashear, for example, saying "we might face them down the road in the playoffs, so we want to put in their minds that they can't beat us." Even better, Sidney Crosby was asked by Washington Post consultant Stephen Ball whether Alex Ovechkin's celebratory antics ever cross the line.

"I don't like it personally, but that's him," Crosby said. "And like it or lump it, that's what he does. Some people like it, some people don't. Personally, I don't like it, but you know what, he's a good player."

NBC's Pierre McGuire, situated between the benches, suggested on air that some of the Capitals' "lip service" directed toward Crosby in particular was excessive, though he was unable to get more specific, presumably due to FCC regulations.

After the game, Crosby was asked about the words thrown in his direction from the Caps; "that's always the case," he said. "You know, it doesn't change from team to team."

Crosby was also asked about his second-period shoving match with Ovechkin; "I don't know, I was skating to the bench and he pushed me from behind so I just gave him a shot back," Crosby said. "That's hockey, and he likes to run around these days, so that was it."

"It was not a cheap shot," Ovechkin said. "It was a game moment. If he don't like it, it's his problem."

More Crosby? Sure, he's what he said about Ovechkin's play: "He had a couple good chances and he's out there hitting guys like he normally does," Crosby said. A reporter said it seemed like Crosby was unhappy with Ovechkin at times, and asked whether it was "just hockey."

"Yeah," Crosby said, "I guess."

Meantime, McGuire was rushing out of the building to catch a flight, but I briefly asked him about the cross-ice jabbering he had referenced.

"Same as it always is," McGuire said. "It's the NHL. Guys compete and they say stuff."

So, nothing unusual?

"No," he said. "It was a little more towards Sidney than usual. It's a competition-type game. They want to get in his head. They want to play with him. But no, it's normal, it's the way it is. Guys compete and it's a very big rivalry....The intensity levels are huge, especially when you have rivalry-type situations. Pittsburgh-Washington's a huge rivalry, and you've got proud guys like Crosby and Ovechkin competing against one another. Stuff happens."

I asked McGuire how much of the stuff he hears is unfit to repeat over the air; "Most," he said. "Most of it cannot be repeated. I mean, guys compete."

But his most interesting comments may have come when I asked McGuire about the crowd, which was a sellout for the eighth straight game, tying a franchise record.

"I loved it," McGuire said. "I think right now, there can be a debate: Montreal, Boston, New York Rangers, Philly and Washington. Washington's right in the elite, in terms of the atmosphere in the building. It's spectacular. I'm telling you, it's spectacular. San Jose would be another one. This place is going off. It's an awesome place to do the game."

As for the fans, they were less restrained. There were "Crosby Sucks" chants reports of "Let's Hit Sid!" chants, urinal pics (via Puck Daddy), and a seemingly limitness number of anti-Crosby shirts, posters, and costumes. More on that tomorrow, and if anyone has a photo of the Crosby Diver or other goodies, please, please, send 'em along.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 22, 2009; 5:13 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maryland Has Talent
Next: Caps and Cooley at MMA Show

Comments

What a hero, using female hygiene products ... stay classy CAPS.

Posted by: diane918 | February 22, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey Diane, just because you've never used one doesn't give you the right to rag on the product.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 22, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Point proven~

Posted by: diane918 | February 22, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Diane~ do you always use a big brush? Too bad a Caps fan doesn't equal the CAPS. Are you from Pittsburgh? Is that the reason for your "comments"?

Posted by: Chase4 | February 22, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Is that t-shirt on the left REALLY where The Washington Post wants to go?

Posted by: breth | February 22, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Bottom line: Crosby is an american want to be...but OV is OV and will to be a hall a famer when its all said and done.

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | February 22, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Diane,
I would like to invite you to stick with your feelings. Using the passive-aggressive technique is not going help you nor will it help Pitt beat the Caps.
Feel better,
Your friend

Posted by: dj11 | February 22, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Im was stuck in Austin Texas for work, so watched the game on TV, it was amazing how loud the crowd was on the TV. You could clearly hear the refs you suck chant after the refs did not call two very obvious penalties in the third against the opposition.

Great win, and let's go on a tear like we did to end last season.

Let's Go Caps!!

Posted by: kthhken | February 22, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

@breth

I see no problem with it. It's the DC Sports Bog after all... not front page of the printed paper. There have been blog entries on here about Chris Cooley accidentally exposing himself online for god's sake!

Posted by: chombie13 | February 22, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

wow some of you are idiots.

Posted by: MNMNT | February 22, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey diane - grow a pair and become a REAL hockey fan...please. Or: stay at home and iron your husband's boxers. From a female Caps fan.

Posted by: gtaylor5 | February 22, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I found it interesting how many of the national wire services, papers, left out this part of Crosby's quote on Alex ".. but you know what, he's a good player."

If there's a real dislike between the two, report it, but otherwise try to be fair to the players and to your profession.

Oh, and what the heck is a Washington Post 'consultant?' A fan?

Posted by: tslats | February 22, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Tslats, Stephen works with columnist Mike Wise, who was working the Caps dressing room while Stephen handled the Pens. Stephen also works inside The Post offices. I should have said that, but I thought "consultant" sounded amusing.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | February 22, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin should stay classy and not pick on "Girls". He should leave "Cindy" alone! Bad, OV, bad!

Posted by: JohnWWW | February 22, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

As the game wore on you could see the tension growing on Crosby's face. Say what you want about the rivalry, Crosby simply complains too much and it is growing old with everyone including his teammates. If he doesn't grow up soon, he will never reach the heights that not only Ovechkin will achieve but Malkin and Green as well.

Posted by: croftonpost | February 23, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Diane, if you want to see classy fans go to the Pensblog http://www.thepensblog.bloguin.com/ and see how disgusting, foul-mouthed and violence promoting Penguins fans are.

In contrast if you visit CapsInsider http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitalsinsider/ you'll see Capitals' fans who do nothing of the sort.

Posted by: rw-c | February 23, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, the answer is probably yes because it's all about the traffic, breth.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 23, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Don't dish it if you can take it Diane.
It's hockey (board) just like McGuire said.

Posted by: Rocc00 | February 23, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Don't dish it if you can't take it Diane.
It's hockey (board) just like McGuire said.

Posted by: Rocc00 | February 23, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Maryo to Cindy one cried so long they gave him the team, Maryo would not play for the team that was paying him to cry and play golf, but when the owners of the Pens had to give Maryo the team, a miracle happened Maryo remembered how to lace up her skates again and played only after lying to the city about her health.
Now the league has Cindy, who fakes injuries and had to listen to his home city chant OV during the All-Star Game this year and where was Cindy as usual hiding and rubbing the zamboni drivers nuts for him, way to go Cindy your are a great he/she, or aka chicks with dicks.
OVECHKIN is the NHL!!!

Posted by: 1-20-09 | February 23, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

WOW Washington. You have arguably the best player in the NHL in AO and you have 8 consecutive sellouts. Pretty good considering AO has been their 4 yrs now and you may reach double figures for consecutive sellouts. You are only about 85 behind Pittsburgh in that category. It took you einsteins 3+ yrs to figure that OA is fun to watch?

Posted by: demo33 | February 23, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey demo33? It'll take a real long time for the Penguins to win a game against the Caps if they best they can do is whine about the fans.

I fail to see how insulting caps fans means a dang thing. So what if folks haven't been watching the team as long as your fans? Washington is a very different sports city than Pittsburgh. Heck, your fans almost outnumbered Redskins fans at a home game.

But geez --- don't you have better things to do with your time than go to Caps message boards and insult the real fans? There is a really hard-core group of Caps fans who have been going for years through thick and thin -- and they're most of the folks here. I can't say I'm one (typical Washington fairweather fan), but I really think some of these folks should get a life.

Posted by: jjhare | February 23, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm a long time Pens fan living in DC and event though it's an off-year for the Pens, I was heartened to see about 20-25% of the building was Pens fans. I was at a game this time last year and the upper deck was about half full. The same thing this past November. Caps fans are mostly bandwagon and this is far from a hockey town unless it's late March or April. The fans are pretty unknowledgable about the game and only know to cheer when #8 touches the puck or when the fog horn tells them to. I was actually astonished at the lack of trash talk in the stands, I was expecting more wearing my throw-back Lemieux jersey. Caps fans = not very good.

Posted by: GoPens | February 23, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Wow eight sellouts in a row. Now that's a loyal fan base. D.C. is truly a hockey town now huh. Most of you posting here are fair weather "Crapitals" fans anyway. Next year or the year after that when they suck again none of you will be found anywhere making comments. OV is a thug, he's a good player don't get me wrong but he is a dirty thug.

Posted by: millerra33 | February 23, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey millerra33 why dont you take a poll of players and fans around the nhl and then well see if anyone thinks OV is a thug. Nothing about him is thuggish. He plays the game hard but clean. It's pretty pathetic that you have to spend your time on here bad mouthing a great guy. Oh and Gopens there was at most about 10% pens fans there for the game, and when you've got a far better team, far better and classier fans, and a far better city u dont have to trash talk cause we feel sorry for u guys!

Posted by: jediprep82 | February 23, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

As much of a Caps fan as I am and despite my dislike of the Pens, I wish my fellow Caps fans would have conducted themselves with more class. As the saying goes, "act like you've been there before."

I take my cues from Joe Gibbs, my personal sports hero growing up. He and his teams ALWAYS conducted themselves with class and honor (during his second tenure, near the end of a game where the Cowboys were getting stomped 35-7, they started playing 'Mama Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys' over the PA and Gibbs actually went to the back of the sideline and vigorously motioned up to the PA to quit playing that song).

There should be more men in sports like Joe Gibbs, Marv Levy, and even Tom Landry and I say to my fellow Caps fans that we should all take our cues from honorable and decent men like them and conduct ourselves accordingly.

Posted by: playahatah | February 23, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

jediprep82, you do make a good point that DC is awesome what with it's nationally #1 ranked murder rate, the always great nationals, and redskins. Not to mention the star wars loving fair weather hockey fans. Oh, and I'll get to that hypothetical poll that you suggested right away. Nothing more accurate than some guy giving out poll numbers and crowd percentages to a game he wasn't even at though he will say he was there cause he goes to all the crapitals games.

Posted by: millerra33 | February 23, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I have 6 SuperBowl championships, 2 Stanley Cups and 5 World Series titles to fall back on, even though the Pirates are about as good as the Nats. Don't feel sorry for me, Sixburgh actually has sustained success in its professional sports teams. Enjoy the Wizards, Nats, the Dan Snyders and keep telling yourself that Theodore is a playoff goalie. The Pens might be playing golf in April but the caps will follow about two weeks later after another first round playoff loss.

Posted by: GoPens | February 23, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Have we gotten that desperate where we're listening to Pierre McGuire's hockey intuition ? The guy shouldn't even be allowed near a hockey rink. He makes the dumbest comments most of the time and provides nothing of any value.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 23, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

So then it was Washington that filed for bankruptcy this decade, and was nearly sold to Jim Balsillie and moved to southern Ontario. All this time, the media had that happening to Pittsburgh.

Posted by: jcurrin | February 23, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I sit two rows behind the Crosby Diver, I was confused about his costume, I thought he was a season ticket holder turned Pens fan for a game, like the moron that wore a Wings jersey to the Detroit game, he's a STH. I'm glad I was able to buy season tickets for the first time, Verizon has an incredible atmosphere keep it up Caps fans!

Posted by: Osfan092589 | February 23, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Horshoes and hand grenades, almost went to southern ontario. Pierre McGuire does suck. I'm sick of watching games on NBC with this guy talking. My favorite quote was from a few weeks ago when he said "fighting is ruining the game of hockey." The best part is when Edzo, who is no huge pens fan, has to correct him constantly.

Posted by: millerra33 | February 23, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

As a local fan here in the DC area I have always supported our teams even though times have been tough. There are too many Pittsburgh fans in this area, some of which our good friends of mine. It's annoying hearing about all these championships you guys have fun, mostly in the 70's by my math. Let us Capitals fans enjoy are one good team this year and you Pittsburgh fans just go enjoy your Iron City Beer. I would be jealous of our hockey team too, I mean weren't the Pens in the Cup Finals last year? They won't even make the playoffs this year and you guys are mad because they gave you false hope. Go cry on a S***sburgh blog. Caps all the way!!!

Posted by: CL2307 | February 23, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GoPens | February 23, 2009 1:33 PM

25%? nice try. as for bandwagon fans, lets roll back the clock to post-mario pre-cindy days. i.e. 2004 pittsburgh was last in the league in average attendance. for 2002-04 the team was below the caps in average attendance. the team had one foot in kansas city, but cindy comes along and all of a sudden it's a hockey town? then again, your post makes it sounds like you might have been 12-13 years old back then, so it's understood if your recollection of recent history is a little fuzzy..

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | February 23, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GoPens | February 23, 2009 2:56 PM

sustained success in professional sports? hmm. last cup was like in 92. last world series title in 79. no football championships from the late 70's through 2004? sustained? by now it's pretty obvious that the 70's steelers were roid taking cheaters. the skins have won more legitimate super bowls than the steelers. but then again, thats old news. the current news is that the pens will be out of the playoffs and the caps are just beginning their run. the window may have shut on cindy's chances to win a cup w/ pittsburgh. front office is a mess, bad coaching and cap hell coming up. hope you enjoyed the ride last year.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | February 23, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

That is great information dcsportsfan1. I remember never hearing about the Pens from any of my Pittsburgh friends for the longest time. Then when Sid comes along they were all back on the Pens wagon. It's funny though most of them have fallen off again as their team is showing all good they really are this year.

Posted by: CL2307 | February 23, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: millerra33 | February 23, 2009 1:36 PM

show me a picture of him punching a guy in the sack from behind or jumping someone on a faceoff and i'll agree with you on ovie. until then, your girl cindy clearly is a far dirtier player.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | February 23, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Classy? Give me a break. It's a hockey game not a beauty pageant (although Crosby may think otherwise).

Posted by: jackwatson1968 | February 23, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Behold the 04 numbers in Attendence.

So tell me Pens fans...when did the bandwagon show up, and when will it leave?

Dont clown us on bandwagon...This is now, and we are better.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 23, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Thank you dcsportsfan. That was just where I was going. How golden boy doesn't get suspended or a serious beat down for that display still amazes me. If Cindy spent more time focusing on the net rather than an opposing players undercarriage, he might actually Be a top 10 player in the league, not just promoted as one.

Posted by: tdsgava | February 23, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse