Club Scarlet and Ovie Love

So traveling from Scotland for three Caps games is still pretty good, but driving 14 hours from Montreal and staying in a Travelodge to see Alex Ovechkin isn't bad. Why, exactly, make that trip?

"He's God," Marie-Eve Couturier explained. "For me, he's God. He's the God of hockey. Amazing."

Anyhow, these two saw Ovie in their home city and asked for an autograph on their jersey, but he was in a hurry. They said they were coming to D.C. to see a game. He told them to come to practice and promised an autograph. Here they are, in Ballston, two hours before practice begins. They beat the entire media contingent here, that's for sure. (Of course, they also wound up with some one-on-one time and several posed photos with Jose Theodore, so maybe they knew what they were doing.)

Which reminds me, you've by now heard of Club Scarlet, the team's new fan club for women? (Men are technically allowed to join, I was told yesterday, but they're not exactly the target demo.) Club Scarlet was actually inspired by the Ravens' similar club, Purple: Just for Women, and it's the first of its kind in the NHL. It's the sort of club where players are sorted alphabetically by first names, and looking at the players' photos makes me highly uncomfortable (see below). A few more facts about Club Scarlet:

* Membership dues can only be paid with dollar bills.

* The original name was Club Vermilion.

* Despite the Caps' high percentage of Russians and Czechs, Club Scarlet will feature several Poles.

* Members will all be given special club names. Something to do with the street they grew up on and their first family pet, apparently.

One more unrelated note from last night's game. Two Junkies were down on the ice during the second intermission, doing some sort of promotion. They were asked to predict a final score. At the time, the Caps led, 2-1. Every local radio host in the history of humankind would have predicted that the home team would go on to win, to mild applause. Cakes boldly called it 4-2, for the Flyers. The crowd did not react with mild applause. (And yes, he turned out to be right, but still.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 25, 2009; 9:54 AM ET
Categories:  Caps , Morning Look
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin Tries to Kill Himself, Mike Green
Next: Concerning Brendan Haywood's Health

Comments

the junkies are homophobic d-bags

Posted by: jonthefisherman | February 25, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for laugh this morning (although I'll admit it took me a second to get it).

You can call me "Duffy" from now on...

Posted by: suzannepdc | February 25, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Huh? Female sports fans = strippers?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 25, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Not all the junkies are homophobes but they are the least entertaining show on WJFK. If I wanted to listen to 4 guys from the failed generation who have no knowledge of anything out side of sports, but think they do, then I will listen to the junkies.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 25, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

that's the same pic of brooks laich they use on the jumbotron when he scores a goal. so it's not a special photo shoot just for the ladies.

Posted by: bflo | February 25, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

No, natsfan. "Club Scarlet" sounds like the name of a strip joint. Think before taking offense.

Posted by: DC2CNY | February 25, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

As a female Caps fan, I'm somewhat put off by this Club Scarlet thing. I understand the game well because I'm a fan - it has nothing to do with my gender. I know the players, their stats, what lines they're best on, their positions, their strengths and weaknesses. Female fans don't need to be catered to or talked down to - we're fans, first and foremost ...

Posted by: smccloskey2 | February 25, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I hope the Junkies never show up at another game again. I couldn't tell you what station they are on (though according to another comment it's WJFK), but I've heard enough to know they are bandwagoners who made fun of the Caps through the lean years. Go back to talking about football and leave the Caps alone.

As for Club Scarlet, meh. The Caps have had me as a fan for years, so I'm pretty sure I'm not their target audience for this "club." It'll be good for chicks who are just now hearing of the Caps and discovering hockey. Sadly, it will likely generate more new puckbunnies than hockey fans, however.

Posted by: JillC | February 25, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Rule No. 1 with Cakes' predictions: always bet against Cakes. Him predicting a 4-2 Flyers win is EXACTLY what every Caps fan should want to hear.

Posted by: uniteria | February 25, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

smcc and Jill, I've had the same thoughts about sports events/clubs that target women. Often the assumption seems to be that females don't know anything about the sport in question and will be more interested in other activities than in watching the game.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 25, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

14 hours?

only took me 9 when I drove there in October.

Posted by: metatext | February 25, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I flew 20 hours from Australia to intern with the Caps for a month on my own dime.

I think I win! ;-) Sadly today's my last game.

Posted by: saskystewart | February 26, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse