Virginia Athletics: Also Sad

From a mass e-mail that went out this morning. Noted without comment.

The University of Virginia has some of the most loyal and generous fans of any school in the country and we are extremely appreciative of that support. You have made significant investments in our program and I recognize that you expect results. As the Athletics Director I expect results as well.

I realize that many fans are frustrated and I want to make sure you know that I am frustrated as well. You should also know that I am committed to making sure we are the very best we can be in each of our 25 programs. Many of our programs have performed extremely well over the past several years, while others need our attention and support. Improvements in football and men's basketball are a priority. All of our programs will continue to receive the support they need. The programs that need to improve will be given the proper focus and attention.

Like you, I expect us to win our in-state battles, and to compete for ACC and national championships. This was part of our plan several years ago when we stated publicly that we wanted to be a top ten program consistently in the Directors Cup standings. We remain committed to building a program that will finish in the top ten on a consistent basis.

You have my commitment that I will do everything needed to get all of our programs on track. The intended results are for our student-athletes and teams to have high levels of achievement, academically and athletically, while contributing to the quality of the University community.

Craig Littlepage
Director of Athletics

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 4, 2009; 12:29 PM ET
Categories:  Atlantic 11 , College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weird, Wonderful Caps Fans: Earrings and Boas
Next: Michael Westbrook Fights Little People

Comments

Dear VA alums & supporters,

[INSERT EXTREMELY OBVIOUS STATEMENTS ABOUT WINNING HERE]

[INSERT MESSAGE BETWEEN THE LINES: PLEASE DON'T FIRE ME, DESPITE THE FACT THAT I AM AN ABJECT FAILURE IN TERMS OF WINNING FOOTBALL AND MEN'S BASKETBALL TEAMS AND THE COACHES I'VE HIRED FOR THOSE SPORTS SUCK]

[INSERT ANOTHER MESSAGE BETWEEN THE LINES: GIVE US MORE MONEY, SO WE CAN BUILD HUGE ARENAS THAT WON'T ATTRACT TOP TALENT]

Sincerely,

Mr. AD (Please don't fire me)

Posted by: Incredulous2 | February 4, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

As an alum, a VAF donor, and a season ticket holder for that pathetic football team - reading this made me want to call up UVA and demand that Craig Littlepage be fired IMMEDIATELY.

Next signing day - if Al Groh is still the coach and Craig is still there - I will push for all UVA fans to stop blindly writing checks to UVA and to send the message that this program has gone 8 years down a path that has destroyed it's traditions, ruined any sort of collegiate sports atmosphere at games, and cost the same money as VPI without the results.

Al needs to be honest - that he left the NFL because he knew that without Parcells he'd be found out as a head man and UVA welcomed him with open arms. Sure he's turned out a heck of a lot of NFL talent - talent that failed to win anything of note at UVA. His teams are inconsistent and the way game day in Charlottesville strives to be the same horribly ANTISEPTIC atmosphere as FedEx field makes me want to run on the field and chase Al down with my chair back!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 4, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

f the wahoos
Go Hokies suckas!

Posted by: jonthefisherman | February 4, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Typical VPI farmer

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | February 4, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Too late, VirginiaBlueBlood. I stopped "blindly writing checks" in 2005. Most want to label me as a bitter Pep Bander, but I classify myself as having a good eye for failure, especially when it involves sports.

Posted by: LewisN | February 4, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

should success or failure on the field/court/whatever really be the driving factor behind alumni and other donations? aren't there other sports and student-athletes that could use the support provided by your $$$? maybe instead of the football and basketball teams, you could earmark your donation for an academic program, or a less visible athletic program (i think the soccer team tends to be pretty good).

i understand how continued losing can ruin the atmosphere at the games, and that is no fun, but there are millions of alumni from smaller schools who have no chance of ever being on SportsCenter who would love to trade places with you. the sense of entitlement from the major athletic programs and their fans will never cease to amaze.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | February 4, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

VirginiaBlueBlood, Virginia has actually used a significantly greater amount of money than VPI&SU. While the results may not show it, UVA is one of the largest athletic departments in the country.

Posted by: sitruc | February 4, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse