Welcome to NatsTown

This is from an official release.

The Washington Nationals today announced their 2009 "NatsTown" marketing and advertising campaign, which unites all fans in everything Nationals - at the ballpark, in the community, and in their everyday lives.

The first two things I thought of when I heard "NatsTown" were Boys Town and Jonestown. That would be connotations of delinquents and mass suicide. Not horribly off, I guess.

The innovative campaign, which will debut on television, on radio, and in newspaper and website advertisements, invites all fans to "Get Your Red On," showing Nationals spirit by wearing team colors, sporting the Curly "W" cap or jersey, listening to games on WFED, watching on MASN, or following the team online or in the newspaper.

Alternatively, "Rock the Red," folks. But thanks for the newspaper plug. Frankly, the Nationals, MASN and the newspaper industry make for a pretty impressive triumvirate.

"I know how much the return of Major League Baseball has meant to Washington DC area baseball fans, and this campaign is intended to express it," said Stan Kasten, Nationals Team President. "It's team spirit, community pride, American tradition tied up in a package that best displays the Home of the National Pastime in the Nation's Capital. I want baseball fans all over the country to know that that in DC we know how to support a team; that when we lift our World Series trophy our fans will know how to celebrate."

Well, I want to be able to afford a new house, I want Gilbert Arenas to be back on the court, I want to eat a chocolate sundae for lunch, and I want my blog to reflect zillions of clicks and critical acclaim tied up in a package that best displays my full head of hair. But you can't always get what you want.

The new campaign recognizes that every time a Nats fan comes to the ballpark, watches a game, visits the website, dons a Washington Nationals cap, or just checks the score, he or she is entering a Nationals state-of-mind and joining a community of fans in "NatsTown."

A "Nationals state-of-mind?" That's a state of altered consciousness I don't believe I've ever experienced. I wonder if Michael Phelps was trying to find his way to NatsTown back in November.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 5, 2009; 12:03 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Economy, and Your Redskins Tickets
Next: Who Lost Tyree Evans? The Media

Comments

Let's refer to our friend, Mr./Ms. Wikipedia.

"In most places, town refers to a small incorporated municipality of less than 10,000 people, although some of these municipalities may be called 'cities.'"

Well, that would cover the television and radio audiences at least. Anyone want to place bets on when the Post will drop beat coverage of Nats' road games?

Posted by: evwill | February 5, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Natstown < Deviltown

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | February 5, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

This should be great news for Nats fans who complain that they haven't done anything to improve their team this off-season. They've built a community!

Posted by: mike8 | February 5, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

NatsHamlet? NatsUnincorporatedburgh?

Posted by: Uncle_Teddy | February 5, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Is NatsTown located in the Mason Nation?

Posted by: NTPNate | February 5, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

NatsTown is fine just so long as it doesn't impose itself on the KastlesKommunity.

Posted by: MaxWass | February 5, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

^ yes right next to the District of Caron at the VC

Posted by: yukiwith2us | February 5, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Looking at this ad campaign somewhat seriously (yeah, with this team it's hard), it's definitely a step up from "Welcome Home" last year, which didn't even make that much sense. (Wasn't RFK home for three years?)

And it plays on the thing that's special about baseball--the every day nature of it.

But unless they find a few new residents of Nats Town that can pitch and/or hit, NatsTown is going to be bleaker than Detroit as a place to live.

Posted by: TheFingerman | February 5, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I predict that NatsTown will last a lot longer than Raljon ever did. Also "Get Your Red On" came before "Rock The Red." The Nats used that slogan for the RFK Grand Re-opening Weekend in July 2006. Were the Caps even wearing red then?

Posted by: nunof1 | February 5, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Huh?

You didn't think of "Funky Town" first?

Shame.

Posted by: truthaboutit | February 5, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

nunof1 beat me to it, but you're wrong on the Rock the Red "alternatively" reference. Nats used Get Your Red on way back in 2006, while the Caps were rocking Black and Gold.

Posted by: Section138 | February 5, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse