Welcome to Washington Mr. Dunn

(2004 photo by Al Behrman - AP)

The Plan works!

Anyhow, from an 2002 Cleveland Plain-Dealer interview with Adam Dunn, we find this nugget:

Q: Professional goals?

A: I've never been on a losing team, and I don't ever want to be.

Q: You've never been on a losing team in baseball?

A: Not just baseball - any sport, any level. I don't want to know the feeling.

Well, step right up, because this is the city for you!

More Dunn notes from a quick spin through the archives:

* Jim Bowden agreed with the winner theme, in a 2000 Cincy Enquirer story.

"He's a winner," Bowden said. "He's got that special leadership quality that only a few have. As soon as we drafted him, we wanted him to play with players who need a little push."

Win win win!

* In that previous Cleveland interview, Dunn also said he once threw a football 83 yards. And somewhere, Mark Brunell cries.

* Or how about this 1993 2003 Columbus Dispatch headline: DUNN, KEARNS CORNER REDS' OUTFIELD MARKET, which included this line: "The rise of Kearns and Dunn, the team's first- and second-round picks in the June 1998 free-agent draft, makes them poster boys for the organization's five-year spiel of building toward the opening of the new stadium."

"I can remember stuff about baseball from forever ago as far as remembering pitchers," [Kearns] said. "He can't remember half the people's names."

Kearns would start talking about a pitcher and Dunn would shrug.

"He couldn't remember anything about him," Kearns said. "I could remember how the pitcher had pitched him. Then he'd say, 'Oh, yeah, I remember that.' But he grew up playing two or three sports. I figure learning a football playbook is a little tough."

* Dunn also once said giving up football "would be like if you stopped eating; that's how much I miss football....I miss it more than anything in the world."

"Everyone is tough in football," he said later in the same Fort Worth Star-Telegram story. "Or that's what they think, and they look at baseball players like they are a bunch of sissies. Trust me, I've been there and thought the same thing, and still think it sometimes. That is the main difference and comes with the sport. It is a totally different locker room."

* Jim Bowden's thoughts in 2002? "It's amazing to me that he was comfortable the first day he walked in our clubhouse," Bowden said at the time, with trademark restraint. "He's a special, special player. He has a chance to be one of the best power hitters of our time. He's got great makeup. His potential is unlimited."

* And from Spring Training in 2002, more Dunn thoughts, courtesy the Cincy Enquirer:

Adam Dunn is almost housebroken. At the advanced age of 22, the Reds' outfield phenom has finally learned how to load the dishwasher. Next up, says Aaron Boone, is laundry night. If Dunn fails to realize his baseball potential, he may eventually be able to find work as a chambermaid.

"He left a cereal bowl out next to the chair and I made him take it in and do the dishes," Boone said of his spring training housemate Monday afternoon. "He did it and he was proud of himself. He's never done the dishes. He's never done his laundry. He's never made his bed. I'm trying to domesticate him."

"Aaron," responded Dunn, "would be a great wife if he were a woman."

Too bad Boone is no longer with us. In D.C., I mean. He's still alive.

* I'm going to my first Spring Training next week, and Dunn once described the trip thus: "This year is my first full year, and I'm really, really excited to get started. It is like the first day of high school when you wanted to go back to check out any new girls."

So he's hereby graded a B+, minimum, as summertime media fodder.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 11, 2009; 3:09 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Frozen Four Concerned About Frozenness
Next: Morning Look: Caps Fans in the City

Comments

That must have been a pretty prescient newspaper article from 1993, to have quotes from the draft picks in 1998.

Posted by: ilikeike | February 11, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I welcome any and all Mark Brunell arm strength jokes. May they grace the Bog in perpetuity.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 11, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Dunn Dunn Dunn *Q the synester music

Posted by: alex35332 | February 11, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Hooray! ;) It's a step in the right direction! It's really time to start having a great baseball team that can score more than 2 runs every game.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 11, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | February 11, 2009 3:58 PM

Now we will avg close to 3!

Posted by: alex35332 | February 11, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear you'll be at Spring Training!

Posted by: VelocityAtrocity | February 11, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to Natstown, Mr. Dunn. The Curly W's are on you. No pressure, though.

Didn't know that he'd been A.F. Boone's roomie. Funny routine they had going there.

Will look forward to reading Bog postings from Viera (The town, not the TV personality. Okay, so I took some spelling liberties). Thanks for choosing ST over that pointy balled game.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 11, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Dan,

Why do you hate the Nationals so much? Why don't you go write for the Dundalk O's?

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | February 11, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Dan,

I don't understand how, in any way, this article could indicate that Dan hates the Nats. In fact, this article -- if you can read -- is illustrating how much Dan looks forward to covering this team.

Posted by: Incredulous2 | February 11, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

LOL Dunn will have 40 HR's and 65 RBI's...Nice for the Mid-Atlantic Reds, cause yeah well they did so much in Cincy, in a hitters park.

Good job signing all the crappy ex-O's too Bowden.

I mean Bynum, Cintron, Cabrera and i believe 4 others...Not what i envisioned when DC got baseball back, if you want to call it that.

Posted by: bms46and2 | February 11, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh well, marginal move (and this coming from a Reds fan in DC with the Nats as the 2nd fav team).

Most importantly, I think he will be bloggable. Not sure how many times he was on Patrick, but he gave a great story how he'd give a signal to make Austin Kearns or whoever to throw the ball head during warm-ups so he could check out a potential hottie in the stands. I think he then coined the terms "40 footer" and "90 footer".

Posted by: BenzoTim | February 11, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Would be greta move if the Nats played in AL. The boy cant field worth a darn.

Posted by: sheepherder | February 12, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Dan: Less Nats news, please. Boorrrrrringgg....

Posted by: disgruntledfan | February 12, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

No! Nats news is crucial. Keep it coming.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | February 12, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

The man averages an OPS+ of 130 every year...putting up those kind of numbers every year, I could care less if he's half a retard

Posted by: StinkaDare | February 12, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I think you mis-quoted him there. He's never been on a *winning* team. At least not in the big leagues. The closest any of Adam Dunn's teams ever came to .500 was in 2006 when they were 80-82.

He was kidding about that, right?

Posted by: timmadrid | February 13, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse