Ben Bernanke Slams the Nats
* Fed chairman Ben Bernanke, speaking at the Council on Foreign Relations this morning, when asked when the recession would end.
"My forecasting record," he said, "is about the same as the win-loss record of the Washington Nationals."
Wow. That's a gut-shot to the Nats, but probably an even bigger problem for the economy. (Thanks to my wife, who was on the conference call.)
* Overall rankings of local NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL sports franchises, based on making money and winning games, according to BizJournals: Ravens (19th), Capitals (41st), Redskins (42nd), Wizards (82nd), Nats (113th), Orioles (115th). There were 122 franchises ranked.
I realize this paints a pretty grim picture, but remember that the Pirates were ranked 118th. Cry tears of pain, Pittsburgh.
* Lindsay Czarniak is playing Dorothy at the Crystal City Arena Stage. (Fishbowl DC)
* The Baltimore Sun writes one of the odder editorials you'll ever see, using the Maryland women's ACC tourney triumph to take a swipe at the men's team:
"Are expectant mothers adding Marissa and Kristi to their lists of baby girl names today? Are thousands of Marylanders budgeting for $175 Final Four seats? If the General Assembly chooses to rewrite the lyrics to " Maryland, My Maryland," will it include laudatory references to Head Coach Brenda Frese? If not - why not? With their 92-89 overtime victory over Duke on Sunday, the Maryland Terrapins women's basketball team accomplished something their Y-chromosome-toting counterparts in College Park never have: They won the Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament after capturing the regular season title, too."
Yeah yeah, let's see the women's stars curse out the fans, insult the media and make a last-second shot in a 10-point win and then we'll talk. Actually, one good post-win riot would probably suffice.
* I'm sure there's a good reason Jason Taylor is in People magazine talking about Tom Brady's joys of fatherhood.
Also, see Nats fans audition for national anthem duties. Love the lady who chose to audition for the Nats while wearing a Redskins jacket.
Posted by: Kev29 | March 10, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: CharlieF | March 10, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Lindemann777 | March 10, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Section506 | March 10, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: charlie814 | March 10, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Incredulous2 | March 11, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.