Digger Makes Some Interesting Picks

Tonight's ESPNU Bracketology special was really special. I mean, who doesn't want to see one expert after another extol the virtues of the one seeds and put them, en masse, on through to the Final Four?

My fave was Digger Phelps, though. I'll be honest, sometimes I make my picks before the brackets come out, and just hope everything matches up. This year, I had Louisville and Michigan State both in the Final Four. Alas, they're in the same region. What to do? I chose Michigan State.

Digger Phelps, though, doesn't compromise. He had Xavier and Pitt both going to the Elite Eight, dadgum it. And if that meant a one seed and a four seed in the regional final? Sure, why not? I'm now reconsidering several of my picks.

(For some more tourney media criticism, including what I think is a remarkably wonderful shot of George Mason AD Tom O'Connor celebrating the completion of the bracket, check out The Dagger.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 15, 2009; 9:29 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The 2009 Bracket Insta-React
Next: Another Reason to Root for American

Comments

Who cares Dan?

Posted by: ZachMorris | March 15, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Dan. Seeing as how you've been in touch, would you please pass on the word to Dutch baseball fan Joris van Wijk, featured in a prior post, that IMO his team should be very proud of having advanced as far as they did despite expectations to the contrary. I haven't seen all of the WBC games (and missed tonight's because of a prior commitment), but one of the most exciting that I watched was their second game against the Dominican. My thanks to the Netherlands team for that classic game, which I will never forget. Hope to see more honkbal in a future tournament!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 15, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

How much longer for the NIT, CBI, and CIT coverage?

The Netherlands-USA game tonight got interesting in the later innings...

Posted by: sitruc | March 15, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm picking the Terps to win it all b/c picking any other team makes you a fairweather fan.

As for Zach Morris, don't worry about him Dan. He's just upset b/c his wife Kelly Kapowski-Morris has had a few kids and has really let herself go. She's not into cheerleading like she was and all she does now is eat bon-bons while talking on the phone. Zach is a broken man.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 15, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Digger changed his Xavier pick to Duke in the latest edition of SC...

Posted by: littles_ | March 16, 2009 12:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm a Xavier grad and a huge fan of this team - but we're not going to the Elite Eight again. Next year on the other hand, we're going to be vicious...

Posted by: Kev29 | March 16, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

I prefer Dickie V's bracket: the elite 8 has all 1's and 2's with the exception of 'Cuse; and he has all the 1's making the Final Four. I guess since it happened last year he can feel vindicated for picking only the top seeds every year.

Posted by: ChampKind | March 16, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

It's a good thing Dickie V. was in a different room than the other guys when they were arguing Arizona vs. St. Mary's. Somebody could have gotten hurt. I love each year the passion and effort expended arguing over 12 seeds and would've-been 12 seeds who have little chance of making it to the second weekend, let alone winning it all.

Posted by: grimesman | March 16, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

ESPN is OBSESSED with the bubble. OBSESSED! I really think that the NCAA people have a sit down with CBS and tell them "minimal bubble talk, please". In exchange, the committee chair will be available for polite questions. Then ESPN have Bubblepalooza and Dick Vitale starts crying.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 16, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse