Gary + Greivis 4evr

By Kevin C. Cox - Getty.

In his post-game remarks tonight, I heard Greivis Vasquez say at least twice that the Terps "have one of the best coaches in the country." Seriously, that guy can't eat a slice of bread these days without blurting out something or other in praise of Gary Williams. Is he on a year-long campaign to stick it to The Post? Angling for a future spot on the Terps bench? Or merely madly in love with his head coach and not afraid to show it?

"Coach Williams is the man," Greivis said six weeks ago. "Coach Williams is the man here at Maryland, and people should be thankful to have such a great coach, because he basically put Maryland back on the map."

"I mean, if I got to go to war with him, I would die for him before he dies," Greivis said a month ago. "The man is a winner and is a champion, so you better start writing about games instead of writing about criticizing him."

Sure, players praise coaches all the time. But usually it's a warm bowl of oatmeal, like what Santana Moss recently said about Jim Zorn: "I like Jim Zorn, I like what he wants to do."

Well, Greivis isn't warm oatmeal. Greivis is some sort of flaming steak delivered to your table with blood still spurting out onto the floor. While other players are buying "Dear Friend" Hallmark cards, Greivis is paging through Song of Songs. Here's what he said about Gary Williams after the crucial UNC win, when he was asked a question that had nothing to do with the man at the end of the bench.

"We have a great coach," Greivis said then. "Every Maryland fan should be thankful because that man can coach. He is the best at getting everyone together and making them believe that they can win games."

And here's what he said after a win over Miami a few weeks before:

"He's a great coach, he's the best coach that has ever coached me," Greivis said. "He's a tough guy, who never gives up and always tries hard. It's just a privilege to play for him."

That's five times in six weeks he went completely out of his way to praise his head coach. Can you think of another college basketball player who's done this, over and over and over again, without being asked? It's not just this year, either. Remember the Baltimore Sun story from his freshman year? Here's a reminder.

"Gary Williams is the greatest coach in the United States of America," Greivis told Heather Dinich. "I love him. I love him. He's a great coach. He's so passionate. He loves the game. He's just like me. We don't want to lose. I hate losing. I really can't go to sleep. It really bothers me when I lose. He wants to win. He wants to get better every day. He loves to be on the court, practice and work. I love that. I love his passion. I love the way he coaches. It's going to be an interesting four years for me. I think he can take my game to the next level. That's what I really believe if I really listen to what he says."

Greivis also talked to Mike Wise that season about his head coach. You'll never guess what he said.

"I love Coach Williams," Greivis told Wise. "Everything he does for us. Everything he do for me."

The greatest coach in the U.S. The man. Someone to give thanks for. Someone to die for. Someone to love. And the passion continues tomorrow. AU-Holy Cross at 4:45. Maryland-Wake at 7. Win, and the locals go to the tourney. Lose, and they go to the NIT. I love this week. I'm talking Greivis-for-Gary type love.

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 12, 2009; 10:04 PM ET
Categories:  Atlantic 11 , College Basketball , Terps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins.com on the Haynesworth Indictment
Next: New WPL Host: Ivan Carter

Comments

By Dan Steinberg | March 12, 2009; 10:04 PM ET

Can you think of another college basketball coach who has done as much as Gary Williams has done for a school, and yet over and over and over again has been attacked by the local paper?

I think that answers your question.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 12, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

This is too easy.

Posted by: sitruc | March 12, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Correct me if I am wrong this is the 3rd season that Gary and Grevis have been together. They have combined with great admiration for each other and led the Terps to 2 NIT's in those 3 years barring a miracle this week.
You would think that they had won a National Title together or at least made the tourney more than 1/3 of their great years together geez...

Posted by: jadams5214 | March 12, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Be great if Greivis got a tattoo of Gary's face on his chest

Posted by: fitzfacts | March 13, 2009 6:49 AM | Report abuse

"yet over and over and over again has been attacked by the local paper?"

You people are too funny. That 3-piece series on what happened to Maryland after the National Championship was a great read, and very informative. It was far from an "attack," but appearantly you all consider anything not written by Grevis Vasquez about your team/coach to be an "attack."

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 13, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Does everyone think it is a done deal that the Terps are in if they manage the upset over Wake tonight? It doesn't seem like many forecasters even have them as one of the next four in so how close can they be? Personally, I think they should be if they win, given the other big wins they've had, but I'm not sure if the rest of the country, or more specifically, the tournament committee, sees it that way. What do all of you think?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | March 13, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

"Does everyone think it is a done deal that the Terps are in if they manage the upset over Wake tonight?"

I don't think that anything is a "done deal" WRT to the NCAA Tournament. Everything I saw had UMD as not in the "last 4 out" category, but in the "Next 4 out," so who knows?

It certainly wouldn't hurt, right? I'd say if they were 50-50 after the NCSU win, they'll be 80-20 after a WFU win...but I wouldn't say "done deal," especially with a group of people as flaky as the NCAA Tournament selection committee.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 13, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Greivis' great love for Gary will induce him to return for his senior year and combine with (hopefully) Lance Stephenson to make some real noise in the ACC and in the Big Dance. Or maybe not. But either way, it warms the heart, I have to admit.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | March 13, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

No mention of Morgan-Coppin at 6 p.m.?

I'm shocked Steinz. Considering your professed love for Todd Bozeman.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | March 13, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jadams5214 | March 12, 2009 11:16 PM

I can't wait til 6 o'clock tonight to re-post all of these idiotic comments all over the blogs. Tune in to the blogs around 7ish for a recap of this year's most insanely stupid comments.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 15, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse